Stockfish 7 Chess Program.

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Stockfish 7 Chess Program.

Post by Harvey Williamson »

7Chessfan7 wrote:I can't upload the Stockfish 7 chess program onto the Hiarcs Chess Explorer on my Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer. A pop-up window appears which says ''Stockfish 7 is not a valid UCI engine''. Does anyone know why that pop-up window is appearing on my laptop screen?
https://stockfish.s3.amazonaws.com/stockfish-7-mac.zip is this the version you are using? popcnt and bmi versions will not work on older macs
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

7Chessfan7 wrote:My Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer is from the year 2010. What is popcnt ? What is bmi ? Is there a version of the Stockfish 7 chess program that is compatible with Apple MacBook Pro computers from 2010 ?
There are 3 engines in the folder you download use the one that just says stockfish 7 64. I presume your mac is 64bit?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41u-vFnmYfA[/youtube]

This video might help at about 2 minutes in it shows how to add an engine.
SFK3

Stockfish 7 Mac (invalid engine)

Post by SFK3 »

Hello forum members,

I have got the same issue:
Download from Stockfish.org, unzip
and selekted "stockfish-7-mac" to register in Hiarcs.
Not possible.

My MacBook4,1 is an early 2008 running Lion.
Activity monitor shows Hiarcs and Kernel in native 64bit mode.

Even a start in terminal is not possible.

I would appreciate if some other Mac users with different hardware
can confirm the issue so its most probably a Stockfish than a Hiarcs issue.

Kindest regards

Uwe
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Stockfish 7 Mac (invalid engine)

SFK3 wrote:
Even a start in terminal is not possible.

Uwe
This suggests a problem with the Stockfish exe or a problem with the download.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

7Chessfan7 wrote:The problem is not downloading the Stockfish 7 chess program onto an Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer from the Stockfish chess website. The problem appears to be that Hiarcs Chess Explorer won't accept the Stockfish 7 chess program.
Can you run it in terminal mode? If it runs like this the engine is ok. If like the poster above it does not then it is probably the engine that is the problem.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

I have added the "stockfish-7-64" for MacOS engine to HCE v1.8 and it adds correctly and runs as an engine on my Mac running Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks.

If as SFK3 mentioned the engine you downloaded does not run in a terminal then there is something wrong with the engine you are trying or it has a compatibility issue with Mac OS 10.7 Lion (or your OS version) or with the CPU you are running it on.

Another way to check it is to double click the engine "stockfish-7-64" in Finder and type "uci" and carriage return in the window that appears.

If the engine will not run or you get an illegal instruction message appear then that explains the engine issue.

If you get a list of options and uciok appears then please take a screenshot of this and send it with info about your hardware and OS to Image
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
SFK3

Post by SFK3 »

Hello forum,

I just have tried to implement the engine in Deep Shredder Mac - failed.

Tried the way Mark has proposed: Terminal returns "Illigeal instruction: 4"
and exits process.

A minute ago I downloaded newly from SF-website and did the same.
First call of Terminal results in "Segmentation fault: 11" and a second start with the same file again "Illigal instruction: 4"

I will contact SF-team. Let's see what's their guess.

Kindest regards

Uwe
SFK3

Post by SFK3 »

Hello forum members,

I have received an information from Mr Yang from the
SF-Team. The solution is quite simple:
The SF7 built for the download requires OS X 10.9.

A built for prior OS X version (like Lion in my case)
is possible from the binaries provided by SF-Team.

Maybe there is someone in the forum you can do this.
I unfortunately can't :-(

Cheers

Uwe
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

7Chessfan7 wrote:What did the Stockfish chess engine programmers say is the reason that there is a problem in that some Apple MacBook and MacBook Pro computer owners are unable to upload the Stockfish 7 chess program onto Hiarcs Chess Explorer?
The problem is nothing to do with Hiarcs Chess Explorer. The released compile of Stockfish 7 will not run on any Mac, in any gui, using an OS earlier than OS X 10.9. It should be possible to run it though if someone is willing to do a specific compile of Stockfish. Hopefully someone will provide this.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

7Chessfan7 wrote:It would be greatly appreciated if people on this or any other chess computer fan website would answer questions in straightforward, easy to understand, plain, simple English instead of, quite frankly, absurd ''computerese'' lingo which only computer geeks understand. It appears that by the word ''compile'' you actually mean the word ''version''. So write the word ''version'' in your posted answer when that is what you mean and that basic, easy to understand word is understood by everyone reading the posted comments on this website. The word ''binaries'' is another example because although most people understand that the word ''binaries'' means ''two'', unless you write in a posted comment the specific context of what you are referring to, most people not being computer programmers understandably don't understand what you are writing about.
I do mean compile because there is nothing wrong with the version it just needs to be compiled for older versions of OS X.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

7Chessfan7 wrote:It would appear that what you meant by the word ''compiled' is ''rewritten''. So you should have used the word ''rewritten'' in your response to my question.
No rewriting needed:
Compile: convert (a program) into a machine-code or lower-level form in which the program can be executed.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

7Chessfan7 wrote:In the definition of the word ''compile'' that you quote in your response you (1) cite a computer world definition and (2) have still nor explained how owners of older Apple Mac computers with older Apple Mac OS X operating systems can run the Stockfish 7 chess engine on Hiarcs Chess Explorer. In addition, in the definition of the word ''compile'' that you quote, you use the word ''convert'' which suggests that a program written or created in one form is rewritten or recreated in another form so that it can be run on a computer.
It is not really for me to explain as it is a Stockfish problem. They need to compile a version that will work for you. I suggest you contact the Stockfish team and tell them which Mac operating system you are running.

The situation was explained quite clearly in this post:
SFK3 wrote:Hello forum members,

I have received an information from Mr Yang from the
SF-Team. The solution is quite simple:
The SF7 built for the download requires OS X 10.9.

A built for prior OS X version (like Lion in my case)
is possible from the binaries provided by SF-Team.

Maybe there is someone in the forum you can do this.
I unfortunately can't :-(

Cheers

Uwe
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

7Chessfan7 wrote:Contrary to what you claim, the ''situation'' was not ''clearly explained'' in SFK3's posted comment (not ''post'') in that, other than that part of his comment in which he wrote that '' The SF7 built for the download requires OS X 10.9'', he failed to explain the problem in common, every day, easy to understand English rather than using computer world jargon such as his use of the computer term ''binaries''. As an aside, he misused the word ''built'' in that specific sentence when the proper word would have been ''program'' or ''version'' or ''written'' or ''created''. But that is another discussion for another day about how computer geeks constantly misuse words in the English language when discussing or writing about computer concepts.
Build/compile/binary all the same thing. Version is what the programmer writes in his chosen programming language. He then compiles this for windows, for mac etc....
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

i suggest you ask your questions on the Stockfish forum https://goo.gl/GDXqqx