DGT will do dedicated units this year

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

DGT will do dedicated units this year

Post by Fernando »

I was told by a Whistlerblowers that DGT will come into the field with its own models. No joke.
This guy that informed me is someone that is associated to the sale of chess stuff and is on the pipe end.

Not authorized to tell you who is.

Fern
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

8) Thanks for sharing this leaked schachcomputer intel!
It sounds like we can look forward to some refreshing made in the U.S.A. quality.

It’s About Time Regards,
John
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Cyberchess wrote:8) Thanks for sharing this leaked schachcomputer intel!
It sounds like we can look forward to some refreshing made in the U.S.A. quality.

It’s About Time Regards,
John
My previous post may have been a bit hasty and overly optimistic. My assumption was that the DGT North American chess clock was actually made in North America, though apparently this isn’t so.
The Zmart LED and Chronos chess clocks are still made in the U.S.A., so hopefully they will follow suit and jump on the trend at some point.

’63 Corvette Regards,
John
fourthirty

Re: DGT will do dedicated units this year

Post by fourthirty »

Fernando wrote:I was told by a Whistlerblowers that DGT will come into the field with its own models. No joke.
This guy that informed me is someone that is associated to the sale of chess stuff and is on the pipe end.

Not authorized to tell you who is.

Fern
Fern,

I've spoken to some folks at DGT who have hinted that they may come out with a new clock with a built-in engine (similar to picochess). This would interface with the current USB or BT DGT boards.

Have you heard that DGT will come out with a fully dedicated computer (including board)?

Greg
mclane

Post by mclane »

But how many people have a DGT board that fits ?
And would this be a dedicated machine ?

I am not sure.

I have e.g. GAVON running with my DGT board, but I would not call it a dedicated chess computer.

Or ?

These are little computer connected with a chess board.
A dedicated chess computer often has only 1 engine. Ok, fidelity premiere had 2 engines.

IMO there is place for millennium 2 machine and also for another company bringing out a dedicated machine.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

mclane wrote: And would this be a dedicated machine ?

I am not sure.

I have e.g. GAVON running with my DGT board, but I would not call it a dedicated chess computer.
Hi,

Would be a bit like a Tasc R30 machine, no? The main thing is that it boots perfectly from a solid memory source. I do not like these cards they use in pico and gavon systems. I also concur that having only one program on a system adds to the "character" of the thing, provided it is a good program with nice features like having the possibility to slow the system down.

Would be really great if DGT makes the effort of developing a (say 40x40 cm) board with leds like the Revelation, I find these leds the very best I've ever seen!

If we could use then this new board on modern windows versions to play with pc engines or on the net, that would really be an enhancement of the DGT product range. I still use my SB20 on windows '98 PC's and greatly enjoy that: No need stare at a screen, no disturbing electronics, a handsome size , and works like a dream!

Come on and let me have it regards

Xavier
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Xavier,
xchessg wrote:I still use my SB20 on windows '98 PC's and greatly enjoy that: No need stare at a screen, no disturbing electronics, a handsome size , and works like a dream!
since years, I do the same...

I like the old Tasc system Regards,
Michael
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I doubt that any DGT offering will be cheap.
Theo

Post by Theo »

blaubaer wrote:Hi Xavier,
xchessg wrote:I still use my SB20 on windows '98 PC's and greatly enjoy that: No need stare at a screen, no disturbing electronics, a handsome size , and works like a dream!
since years, I do the same...

I like the old Tasc system Regards,
Michael
What about the Novag Citrine board? You can connect it to a tiny Windows tablet and have Arena running "Mephisto Gideon" or "Mephisto Amsterdam" or newest Stockfish throttled down to 1% speed.

I've got older '98 laptops, but they make noise, which for me is a total No-Go with chess.

I use a older tiny WinXP device with a 5"-screen.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harumpel/ ... 2905150608
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Cubeman,
Cubeman wrote:I doubt that any DGT offering will be cheap.
as we are hunters and gatherers, I think this won't be a huge problem... 8) !

Regards,
Michael
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Theo,
Theo wrote: What about the Novag Citrine board? You can connect it to a tiny Windows tablet and have Arena running "Mephisto Gideon" or "Mephisto Amsterdam" or newest Stockfish
this I knew allready, but...
Theo wrote: throttled down to 1% speed.
...how do you throttle the µP speed, with Arena or another software?
Theo wrote:I've got older '98 laptops, but they make noise, which for me is a total No-Go with chess.

I use a older tiny WinXP device with a 5"-screen.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harumpel/ ... 2905150608
...looks nice... 8)

Regrads,
Michael
Theo

Post by Theo »

blaubaer wrote:
Hello Michael,

unfortunately, Arena doesn't offer this feature. I use a program with the strange name "Battle Encoder Shirase" instead. It allows me to throttle a chess engine down to 1%.

I would love modern chess engines to be throttable to few nodes per second, just to compare them to Mephisto Glasgow at equal nps :-)

My hypothesis is: Stockfisch contains more knowledge than Glasgow and would win that epic battle at equal nps.

Maybe I should just learn how to compile Stockfisch and add that feature myself. Shouldn't be that complicated. Just add a "wait(100ms)" after every "increase(nodes_counter)" to get a 10-nps-engine ;-)

Kind Regards
Theo
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Theo,
Theo wrote:I use a program with the strange name "Battle Encoder Shirase" instead. It allows me to throttle a chess engine down to 1%.
I'll try BES; thanks for the hint!

Regards, Michael
mclane

Post by mclane »

Theo wrote:
blaubaer wrote:
Hello Michael,

unfortunately, Arena doesn't offer this feature. I use a program with the strange name "Battle Encoder Shirase" instead. It allows me to throttle a chess engine down to 1%.

I would love modern chess engines to be throttable to few nodes per second, just to compare them to Mephisto Glasgow at equal nps :-)

My hypothesis is: Stockfisch contains more knowledge than Glasgow and would win that epic battle at equal nps.

Maybe I should just learn how to compile Stockfisch and add that feature myself. Shouldn't be that complicated. Just add a "wait(100ms)" after every "increase(nodes_counter)" to get a 10-nps-engine ;-)

Kind Regards
Theo
ä
I Doubt this. Try it out.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
SFK3

Post by SFK3 »

mclane wrote:But how many people have a DGT board that fits ?
And would this be a dedicated machine ?

These are little computer connected with a chess board.
A dedicated chess computer often has only 1 engine. Ok, fidelity premiere had 2 engines.

Hello mclane,
maybe this post is helpful?
http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7904