Kasparov PC Auto Chessboard

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Murat

Kasparov PC Auto Chessboard

Post by Murat »

Hello everyone.

Kasparov PC Auto Chessboard on a 15 year old laptop :)

Using Windows ME I was able to run this board with Chess Genius 5 and Rebel 9 so far. Higher rebel versions seem to crush when I activate the board.

Does anyone remember which version of Chessmaster supported this board natively if any? Any other suggestions perhaps?
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Hi Murat. Im sorry I cant help you but curiously enough somebody just offered me to sell me a board like that. How this board compares to the citrine or novag electronic board, bigger, nicer?? Is it worth getting it? Does it work with chess assitant. Can you use it with windows XP? Being offfered to me for around 150-175. I think price is a bit much. What do you think?

Greetings and thank you again

Curious regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
Murat

Post by Murat »

Hi Mike

It is a beautiful board. Solid build half the height of Citrine/UCB. Other dimensions are the same.

But it all ends there. It connects with parallel port, if you want full compatibility you have to stick with Windows ME highest (for Rebel programs). Chess Genius DOS work with Windows XP but the board does not due the changes made to serial port handling in XP SP1 onwards. However Nicolas Cominetti has written a driver which makes the board work like an engine under Arena. Worked nicely with Windows XP. The only problem is take back moves not possible with this adapter.

http://www.tim-mann.org/winboard/autowb2.zip

I hate to say it but at this time I can't recommend the Autobard unless your intention is to collect. I think Citrine should be your prime target. Native support from Arena is invaluable.

Good luck and all the best

Murat

PS. does not work with Chess Assistant natively
Murat

Post by Murat »

In addition, I don't think the Citrine works with Chess Assistant, the UCB does. Maybe other Citrine owners can chime in for this subject.
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Thanks Murat!!!
Happy holidays

Saving money regards
Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle