Hiarcs for Mac - actual Mac app?

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

rsava

Hiarcs for Mac - actual Mac app?

Post by rsava »

Sorry f this is either a) answered elsewhere (I looked) or b) insulting but I have been burned before.
Is Mac Chess Explorer an actually developed for Mac application, not just a Windows app running in Wine?
I recently purchased a chess program that said it was a Mac application and found out it is just running in Wine - found the "bottle" in ~Library/Application Support and started getting errors referencing C:\.
So before I pay the money I would like to verify that Mac Chess Explorer is an actual fully developed Mac application and not a Windows application that gets installed in Wine.
jldchess

Post by jldchess »

Hi,

I'm a HCE Mac user, and it's really a fine mac app.
But I was searching for a ChessBase compatibility.

So, recently, I buy too a "new mac chess program" Ch*ss K*ng… just a crushing Wine app ! Sh*t !
In french, we said "un piège à cons" ! :evil:

HCE is the best mac chess database.
rsava

Post by rsava »

Yes, that is the one I was referring to. When I confronted them on it their response was:
"Well it's not illegal to run it that way."
When I said it was fraudulent advertising to advertise a "Mac application" that is not, in fact, a Mac application they gave me my money back.
That is why I am checking to make sure Hiarcs is a true Mac application.
But now that I am reading Hiarcs will be releasing a new version that is not a free upgrade, I think I will wait until that is released.
herO

Post by herO »

I recommend to wait until new HCE 2.0 is released. We have to wait at least 6 months for next release.
cseder

Post by cseder »

I did the same "blunder" of believing ChessKing 2016 was a native Mac application.
It turned out to be a lagging 32 bits single core application running in Wine "Windows Emulation".
There is NO mention of this when you purchase the application.

This is false advertising as I see it.

On top of that it can't open .pgn files! It crashes when I try to right click and "Open with.." Chess King 2016.
This bug is reported to be fixed in an upcoming version, but hell, a chess program without the ability to open a .pgn?

The routine for doing a simple import of a single game is to
1. Open ChessKing
2. Import .pgn into a new database
3. Drag the game into the existing database of choice
4. Delete the created database from the import.

:roll: