Paderborn 2007 - HIARCS WINS!

Designed for posting all types of tournaments and Games (e.g. Man vs. Machine, Computer vs. Computer and basement matches.)

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

turbojuice1122 wrote:Congratulations on your shared first place in Paderborn! :-)
History will record the winner in 2007 as Hiarcs. Nobody remembers who came 2nd. :D
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Harvey Williamson wrote:History will record the winner in 2007 as Hiarcs. Nobody remembers who came 2nd. :D
Then history is unfair. And you'd probably be doing the same if Hiarcs won a shared first prize, with the Hiarcs and Rybka's order, reversed.
peter

Post by peter »

...and a happy new year!

What a great success finally in old year! Would'nt it be even greater for selling Hiarcs and helping development of the next big step 12 to give 11.9 to the old and the new users?
The first ones as well as the others would surely hope for an update price for 12 and beating Rybka 64bit with an Hiarcs 32bit look forward twice as impatiently to Hiarcs 64bit to buy it as a must-have again ;-)

Sincerely
Peter.

P.S. Probably it would be even better sales strategy than of chessbase with fritz 11 SP awaiting deepfritz 11 later on.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Dylan Sharp wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:History will record the winner in 2007 as Hiarcs. Nobody remembers who came 2nd. :D
Then history is unfair. And you'd probably be doing the same if Hiarcs won a shared first prize, with the Hiarcs and Rybka's order, reversed.
Your wrong I would have congratulated Vas and Jeroen as they have congratulated me. btw there is no shared 1st prize - we got the first prize and Rybka got the 2nd.

To quote Jeroen:
In the end we ended on 5.5 points, just like Hiarcs. Hiarcs won because of the better Bochholz score, something we already knew before the last round was started: a simple calculation showed that a Hiarcs victory was enough to clinch victory. Of course I'd like to congratulate the Hiarcs team for this splendid achievement! Mark, Harvey, Sebastian, well done!
He then said to people on the Rybka Forum:
I hope you liked our live coverage and of course don't be too depressed because of '2nd spot only'
In a Soccer League if points are = they use things like Goal difference/average to decide the winner this is no different.
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

http://www.hiarcs.com/Games/pader07/pader07.pgn

Download all the games in pgn format.
Sebastian Boehme

Post by Sebastian Boehme »

Hi fellows,

I agree with Harvey and this is what belongs to sportmanship in chess: To accept that somebody won.

Jeroen Noomen came to me after the win of Hiarcs was official and saying: "Congratulations, Hiarcs deserves it."

I think this is what one should call real sportsmanship and I would have done the same at Jeroen's point.
Sometimes there can only be one winner, no matter how equal the scores are, the Buchholz-Rating decided it all this time and thus there is only 1 winner.

Kind regards,
Sebastian Boehme
Hetman

Post by Hetman »

Congratulations to Hiarcs for the win.
The proper strategy without the lose. As the wise experienced GM :-).
The win at the end of the year is important.

Regards
Hetman
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

History will record the winner in 2007 as Hiarcs. Nobody remembers who came 2nd.
Generally when I hear about winners of tournaments, then they say "equal first" if there was a tie, no matter what particular "tie-breaking" rules were used. If Paderborn "officially" only gives the prize to the winner via their particular arbitrary tie-break rules (e.g. if Sofia rules were used, which actually probably are more accurate for determining who is "better" since it really does seem to be easier to score two draws than one win, then Rybka would have "won"), then they are making a technical error, but if there is no other way to do it and that's what the rules specify, then fine. The proper way to remember it is that Hiarcs and Rybka were co-winners with Hiarcs having the benefit of the tie-breaking rules that were used. My congratulations to the Hiarcs team would be the same no matter which rules were used: they scored enough points in the tournament to tie with Rybka at the end.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

turbojuice1122 wrote:
History will record the winner in 2007 as Hiarcs. Nobody remembers who came 2nd.
Generally when I hear about winners of tournaments, then they say "equal first" if there was a tie, no matter what particular "tie-breaking" rules were used. If Paderborn "officially" only gives the prize to the winner via their particular arbitrary tie-break rules (e.g. if Sofia rules were used, which actually probably are more accurate for determining who is "better" since it really does seem to be easier to score two draws than one win, then Rybka would have "won"), then they are making a technical error, but if there is no other way to do it and that's what the rules specify, then fine. The proper way to remember it is that Hiarcs and Rybka were co-winners with Hiarcs having the benefit of the tie-breaking rules that were used. My congratulations to the Hiarcs team would be the same no matter which rules were used: they scored enough points in the tournament to tie with Rybka at the end.
And I am sure you would be posting this stuff if Rybka had been awarded the win :roll:
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

turbojuice1122 wrote: they scored enough points in the tournament to tie with Rybka at the end.
Then again, Hiarcs won unshared first place (even if due to a technicality.) I had to change my opinion since even Jeroen accepts 2nd place.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dylan Sharp wrote:

Then again, Hiarcs won unshared first place (even if due to a technicality.) I had to change my opinion since even Jeroen accepts 2nd place.
Very Good Dylan
soon you will have even more on your mind..

a Rybkian loss to a human GM in an 8 game match

Joel Benjamin Sends His New Years Regards
Steve
Theo van der Storm
CSVN

Post by Theo van der Storm »

Harvey Williamson wrote:http://www.hiarcs.com/Games/pader07/pader07.pgn

Download all the games in pgn format.
Nope, those are only the Hiarcs games.

I provided the webmaster of the official site with normalised PGN
for all games.

http://wwwcs.uni-paderborn.de/~IPCCC/IP ... /games.pgn

Congratulations and Happy New Year!
Theo
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Steve B wrote:a Rybkian loss to a human GM in an 8 game match
I wouldn't bet my life on it. Possibly Rybka is going to use a new "Undrawable" personality that eventually will crush the GM.

And I'd be happy if this happens, otherwise that would mean that White can draw at will, no matter the opponent. This would be bad for the game.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dylan Sharp wrote:
Steve B wrote:a Rybkian loss to a human GM in an 8 game match
I wouldn't bet my life on it. Possibly Rybka is going to use a new "Undrawable" personality that eventually will crush the GM.

And I'd be happy if this happens, otherwise that would mean that White can draw at will, no matter the opponent. This would be bad for the game.
actually i think if the Human GM wins it means that humans can still compete on an even level against the computer as White without unnatural odds of material or time..which changes the fundamental game

as Black..i think they can no longer compete on an even level

GM 5 or 6 ..Rybka 3 or 2 Regards
Steve
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Steve B wrote:actually i think if the Human GM wins it means that humans can still compete on an even level against the computer as White without unnatural odds of material or time.
But they could just draw at will, so why bother?