1ST CHESS FRIENDS OF THE WORLD DCCC - 2015

Designed for posting all types of tournaments and Games (e.g. Man vs. Machine, Computer vs. Computer and basement matches.)

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: bug, and bugs

Post by Steve B »

dedicate computers wrote:was a bug identified by steve-uk, so he recommended this setting. If you have questions, I think it would be better if you write to him. A particular interesting is that when I did this, my machine V7 and V9, played much better.
Modified Computers generally do play better..Usually well above their original Elo's
I guess no one would modify an original computer in order for it to play worse

perhaps one day in the not too distant future every dedicated computer ever released for sale will be modified in some way
then we would have two sets of rating lists for each model:

the original factory released rating's lists such as the SSDF,Selective Search,Wiki Active ...etc.etc.

and the modified rating lists..FDSS,Search,Selective,Ikiw Active
we could call the modified ratings the

Bizzaro World Rating Lists Regards
Steve
dedicate computers

modified Computers

Post by dedicate computers »

Hio Steve,

The fact is that the original manboard, usually of Fidelity usually had defects for the years of its construction. Steve_uk came up with the idea of to copy of old PCB with modern components. To see me, it is not a new design and just the reproduction of the original PCB.
For example, a version 11 was never released by Fidelity, however nowadays it is possible to have this machine. As far as I know, V11 was built by an employee of Fidelity to karpov study, am I right?
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: modified Computers

Post by Steve B »

dedicate computers wrote:Hio Steve,

The fact is that the original manboard, usually of Fidelity usually had defects for the years of its construction. Steve_uk came up with the idea of to copy of old PCB with modern components. To see me, it is not a new design and just the reproduction of the original PCB.
For example, a version 11 was never released by Fidelity, however nowadays it is possible to have this machine. As far as I know, V11 was built by an employee of Fidelity to karpov study, am I right?
the V11 is a modified computer..never released by Fidelity.. built by this Bucke guy years after Fidelity went out of business
I guess as a former employee he some how wound up with the computer components to make these modified computers

I'm not sure I understand your point

are you saying that every single Fidelity V7 and V9 in the world today has a defective mother board and this modification will restore the board to its original state?
if so I find that highly unlikely

my guess is that this is a quick and simple mod that can artificially boost the strength of the V7 and V9
this is a perfect example of a modification

No Way Jose Regards
Steve
mclane

Post by mclane »

He said there is a method to access more effectively to the hash.
I wonder why the company did not use this method.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

mclane wrote:He said there is a method to access more effectively to the hash.
perhaps but that is not my point
making it more efficient by attaching cables and wires is a modification

Calling It For What It Is Regards
Steve
steffen

Post by steffen »

Steve,

the modification might really be necessary.
At the Mysticum weekend a couple of weeks ago a chess computer friend was so kind to repair reed switches etc. in my V7/table. He was not 100% sure but he might have recognized that the RAM might NOT be connected to the mainboard! Maybe the same thing.

Steffen
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

steffen wrote:Steve,

At the Mysticum weekend a couple of weeks ago a chess computer friend was so kind to repair reed switches etc. in my V7/table. He was not 100% sure but he might have recognized that the RAM might NOT be connected to the mainboard! Maybe the same thing.

Steffen
Hi Steffen

i doubt that every v7 in the world needs this adjustment in order for it to be playing in its originally intended state..but i guess its possible that in some v7's the ram becomes disconnected over all of the years
why a repair of this nature would need an external connecting cable i cannot say

however you can check the amount of installed Ram at any time
if the RAM in not connected then you will know something is wrong after the test

press the TB key while powering up
then press the TB again 7 times
the installed ram will be reported

i am sure you know this test but if not you can read more here...

http://www.schachcomputer.at/tuning.htm

at one time i have checked the ram's in my v2,v4,v5,v6 and v9 and they were all correct ..although i have not checked recently of course

Ramifications Regards
Steve
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

mclane wrote:He said there is a method to access more effectively to the hash.
I wonder why the company did not use this method.
There are several reasons to test if it really plays stronger with this modification. Why not do test with some BT-testpositions, or with Nicks testrating games?
If it actually does play stronger, it should become a separate version on the rating lists. For tournaments organized for certain elo-ranges this is also important...

Test- and rating regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Attached below are the PGN's for the Tournament. And, here are the official CO-Champions:

2015 1ST CHESS FRIENDS OF THE WORLD CO-CHAMPIONS

2015 1ST CHESS FRIENDS OF THE WORLD FINAL TABLE

2015 1ST CHESS FRIENDS OF THE WORLD GAMES DOWNLOAD

http://spacious-mind.com/forum_reports/ ... s_2015.pgn

Best regards
Nick
steffen

Post by steffen »

Steve B wrote:

Steffen
Hi Steffen

i doubt that every v7 in the world needs this adjustment in order for it to be playing in its originally intended state..but i guess its possible that in some v7's the ram becomes disconnected over all of the years
why a repair of this nature would need an external connecting cable i cannot say

if the RAM in not connected then you will know something is wrong after the test

at one time i have checked the ram's in my v2,v4,v5,v6 and v9 and they were all correct ..although i have not checked recently of course

Ramifications Regards
Steve
Thank you, Steve. My V7 in the Fidelity table says 1024 (after 6 times pressing TB)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

steffen wrote:
Steve B wrote:

Steffen
Hi Steffen

Ramifications Regards
Steve
Thank you, Steve. My V7 in the Fidelity table says 1024 (after 6 times pressing TB)
Excellent Steffen
Perfect Table Manners Regards
Steve