Millenium new release of chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
Let me some modifications to your plan.

I purchase the thing.
I play it and beat it.
I publish in CNN that the machine was beaten because of serious bugs.
You get that way your devious result.
Then you send me a comp of your colletion at my discretion.
Of course only one of those you have double or even triple...
A Deal!
After I watch the CNN Special Report I will send you a list to choose from

Christiane Amanpour Sends Her Regards

Great...but there are some details in the deal...
Before the comp is available, before I can get it, before I can play it and before I can publish the game in CNN you must send me at once the list in order to begin the process.
These things are difficult and cumbersome regards
fern
Steve
The Doubles/Triples/Quadruples list has been classified as "Top Secret"
by the Schachcomputers Elders High Council
I can show it to you now..but I would then have to

Kill You Regards
Steve
The thrill of looking that secrecy is worthy the danger of your gunmen trespassing the protection of my Serbs...

Code da Vinci regards
Fern
Festina Lente
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Hi all, it looks (and described) at first sight good, but this writting about "had beaten Kasaprov in 1994" was also provided with version of ChessGenius for PocketPC... In fact PPC-version contains not London but old Roma (1987) software and because it's programmed for ARM Cortex too seems to me this device is just a tabletop variation of it... That's why ELO=2000 and price 99euro...
mclane

Post by mclane »

Roma, or Vancouver. Hash table or not. It's good that millennium is not only selling trash.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

I agree. And not all of us had the necessary funds back in the mid 80s to afford the 16 bit programs. I was only 21 when it came onto the market and there was no possibility of ever affording it. They were several thousand dollars from memory. Even a Mephisto 8 bit machine back then required serious funds - around $1,200 for a Schroder holz machine from memory.

I would never have been able to afford a Lang Mephisto machine - either when they came out, nor the entire time they were being manufactured and certainly not today when they fetch premium prices on eBay. The prospect of getting a high speed Roma dedicated machine for the price of a plastic ice cream tub has me frothing at the mouth in frenzied anticipation. Seriously, I have not slept for 24 hours due to the excitement of it all.

Zzzzzz Regards
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Monsieur Plastique

Fernando wrote:wait wait wait, i am being informed by my spy in Germany that the thing brings CC7 Nelson program unto it....but improved of course...now it brings not 100, but 150 opening lines to a deep of 6 moves.
I've just got wind that Fernando has pre-ordered 5 of these units, viz:

1. A machine to swap with Steve.

2. A machine to attribute to Ron Nelson if he beats it.

3. A machine to attribute to Ron Nelson if he loses to it.

4. A machine to attribute to Ron Nelson if it has any bugs.

5. A machine to attribute to Ron Nelson if none of the above apply.
Monsieur Plastique

IvenGO wrote:In fact PPC-version contains not London but old Roma (1987) software and because it's programmed for ARM Cortex too seems to me this device is just a tabletop variation of it... That's why ELO=2000 and price 99euro...
Maybe my thinking is a little simplistic here, but looking at the button layout on this new 99 euro machine, the engine would seem to be at least of Portorose vintage. The previous Roma (all versions) had the traditional keypad layout shared ostensibly by the 8 bit programs. The Portorose, however, was I believe the first machine to use the distinct button layout as seen (with minor variations) on this new machine.

To my thinking, the red "CL", green "ENT" and the arrow buttons suggest to me it's at least a Portorose or Vancouver. And if you were to downward adjust the ratings of those machines to correspond with the current SSDF list, then 2000 ELO would be a fair conservative estimate for the hardware (especially as the advertising claims "upwards" of 2000 ELO).
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

The problem is that Roma even at ARM 32-bit CPU is weaker than London at 16-bit 68000... Not interesting to buy this one from both player's and collector's points of view; just my personal opinion.

Why do I think Roma and not Portorose or Vancouver?

Answer: people are lasy in general and programmers are people too. If there will be no huge profit from its very simple to use previously made job.
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Guys, I know this is exciting, but can we get some clarity here as to what we're talking about?

Which version of Lang's software are we talking about? I have emailed Richard Lang a few days ago, but got no response. If it's the version which beat Kasparov that's Genius 3, and at 48 MHz it should be WAY higher graded than they are claiming.

Something is wrong.
Last edited by Carl Bicknell on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

IvenGO wrote:The problem is that Roma even at ARM 32-bit CPU is weaker than London at 16-bit 68000... Not interesting to buy this one from both player's and collector's points of view; just my personal opinion.

Why do I think Roma and not Portorose or Vancouver?

Answer: people are lasy in general and programmers are people too. If there will be no huge profit from its very simple to use previously made job.
Well i am both a player and collector and i am interested in the computer regardless of which Lang program is in it
for 99 Euro you cannot even get a good dinner for 2 in NYC

there should be no mystery as to which engine of his is in the computer
Lang is still alive and well and selling his PC engines and dedicated computer eproms
he must have been contacted by the Mellennium owners to get his permission to use his engine
anyone here can contact him as well
http://www.chessgenius.com/london/index.html

Amsterdam To Lyon Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
I agree. And not all of us had the necessary funds back in the mid 80s to afford the 16 bit programs. I was only 21 when it came onto the market and there was no possibility of ever affording it. They were several thousand dollars from memory.
Regards
I Guess those prices were in Aussie dollars so i dont know what the US/Aussie conversion was back in those days but a Mephisto Modular board with a Lang Engine would cost around $800 brand new

the cheapest 16 bit Mephisto-Lang computer i remember was the Mobile Roma II
The only portable computer Mephisto ever sold with a Lang module
that would set you back about $500
ran on one 9 volt battery
my guess is this new baby has the Roma II in it or perhaps the Dallas
the Dallas program appeared in the Mondial XL as well as the modules so perhaps the port to this new computer was a good fit

but as i mentioned in my previous post...it will be easy to find out which exact engine it is as he is not dead yet and must have granted his permission to use any of his engines

Roman Holiday Regards
Steve
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Well I got a reply from Mr. Lang and it's pretty encouraging.

He said it's the same software as the iPhone Genius.

As I understand it this engine is a simplified version of Genius 3, missing some of the tactical extensions etc.

So at 48 MHz....even the Tasc R30 might be in danger.
mclane

Post by mclane »

Richard confirmed it has 32 KB hash.
So it is no Roma because Roma had no hash,

It's the android/iOS/ windows phone 8
Engine .

We have to wait to see how this runs on the hardware it is produced.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

It can be Roma engine coz PPC-CG also has HTs but its clearly from 1987 that was confirmed by tests.

If its a version later than Roma than it must be 2200+ computer at this CPU...
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Carl Bicknell wrote:Well I got a reply from Mr. Lang and it's pretty encouraging.

He said it's the same software as the iPhone Genius.

As I understand it this engine is a simplified version of Genius 3, missing some of the tactical extensions etc.

So at 48 MHz....even the Tasc R30 might be in danger.
So it seems this Lang Engine is different from any other ever released in a dedicated computer?
Its getting better all the time

The Beatles Send Their Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

mclane wrote:Richard confirmed it has 32 KB hash.
Excellent! I know that is a very small amount for hash but it ought to be sufficient to significantly improve the late endgame where almost all non-hash machines are apt to fall victim to horizon effects. It will be really exciting to test this machine out on a number of positions in my personal games databases where competing programs have made a monumental blunder in the endgame because a 15 ply lookahead was required.

Matches against machines like Atlanta and Star Diamond are going to be very interesting.