Repeat performance issues with dedicated units?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cyberchess wrote:
Steve,

I kind of think it would be nice to show the candidate moves beforehand so that the audience can play along at home.

Moscow On The Hudson Regards,
John
OK then
Beforehand it is

After Citrine has completed its calculating i will post its:
1)move
2)score of the position
3)anticipated line of play(Citrine only displays the anticipated line 3 ply deep)

BTW...you mentioned you needed a nice cool day to go get your CyberChess out of storage
its a nice cool..breezy.. 62 degrees today..chilly even
:wink:

Passive Agressive Regards
Steve
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Steve B wrote: BTW...you mentioned you needed a nice cool day to go get your CyberChess out of storage
its a nice cool..breezy.. 62 degrees today..chilly even
:wink:

Passive Agressive Regards
Steve
Steve,

I have pressing social commitments on most weekends, so I will most likely get out there some weekday when I’m between work projects and in need of some time off.

Would you care to volunteer and assist me in moving furnishings, checking cartons, etc. We would be out there for the better part of the day, and lunch, of course, would be on me.

Tom Sawyer sends his regards,
John
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cyberchess wrote:
Would you care to volunteer and assist me in moving furnishings, checking cartons, etc. We would be out there for the better part of the day, and lunch, of course, would be on me.
No Rush
By All Means ..take your time

Only Non Physical Labor At My Age Regards
Steve
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

This is cool. I think Nick should weigh in.

Steve said:
one thing i was wondering is if it would be more interesting to have John show the six move choices BEFORE Citrine chooses its move (as a human player would see them)
OR
After it chooses its move
it really makes no difference to Citrine as obviously it will not be reading the choices
might be more suspenseful if Citrine has to choose a move "blind" so to speak
on the other hand it might be more interesting for the forum to see the choices while Citrine is on the move
whats your thoughts on that?
any preference?
Perfect idea - "as a human player would see them" - with an added puzzle: How do you give a dedicated a multiple-choice test?

John points to the entertainment factor, and something else:
I kind of think it would be nice to show the candidate moves beforehand so that the audience can play along at home.

Moscow On The Hudson Regards,
John
John also correctly notes that precious few quiz books are structured in multiple-choice fashion. That suddenly seems very right. I can think of only one other book (let alone software) that takes the multiple-choice route: that would be the old Larry Evans opening book, "What's the Best Move?"

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Steve B wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:
No Rush
By All Means ..take your time

Only Non Physical Labor At My Age Regards
Steve
Yeah, I know what you mean; the big chess clock in the sky hasn’t exactly done wonders for my physique either.

In any case, I’ll do my best to locate the sacred texts when I get out to the excavation site in October. Unfortunately, the four movers that I had hired placed all the heavy furniture and such in front of the cartons instead of vice versa.
Job security?.

It just keeps ticking regards,
John
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Reinfeld wrote: John also correctly notes that precious few quiz books are structured in multiple-choice fashion. That suddenly seems very right. I can think of only one other book (let alone software) that takes the multiple-choice route: that would be the old Larry Evans opening book, "What's the Best Move?"

- R.
The late Grandmaster Larry Evans has long been one of my favorite American chess players. He was also good enough to publish my question pertaining to an ambiguous line from MCO 12 in his Chess Life column (July, ’86). I’ve also greatly enjoyed and benefitted from “Chess Catechism” and “Modern Chess Brilliancies”.

Here’s a vintage photo of Larry Evans preparing Bobby Fischer for the ’72 World Chess Championship in the Grossinger’s Resort swimming pool (early 1972):

At some point I need to pick up a copy of “What’s The Best Move”. Another excellent read of the chess quiz book genre is simply titled “The Best Move” by Hort and Jansa.

So many great chess books…

So little time regards…

John
teckpro

citrine / dedicated unit plays cyberchess

Post by teckpro »

Did the test ever take place ???

what happened?

thanks, andy
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: citrine / dedicated unit plays cyberchess

Post by Steve B »

teckpro wrote:Did the test ever take place ???

what happened?

thanks, andy

With the recent trend these days to reply to forum posts 5-8 Yrs old... I think I am well within my rights to reply to a post a mere 9 months old

sadly Andy, that ill fated match never did take place however the year was not a total waste
in the past year i managed to find another 10 Program packets...increasing my collection to 14 in total(not counting the TEST packet)

Busy As A Bee This Past Year Regards
Steve
Cyberchess

Re: citrine / dedicated unit plays cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Steve B wrote:
teckpro wrote:Did the test ever take place ???

what happened?

thanks, andy

With the recent trend these days to reply to forum posts 5-8 Yrs old... I think I am well within my rights to reply to a post a mere 9 months old

sadly Andy, that ill fated match never did take place however the year was not a total waste
in the past year i managed to find another 10 Program packets...increasing my collection to 14 in total(not counting the TEST packet)

Busy As A Bee This Past Year Regards
Steve
:P Way to go, Steve!

It sounds like the late Norbert and Dorothy have bestowed you with good Cyber fortune. Were these modules obtained through e-bay, and if so, how many are Pro modules?
I’ve purchased modules that I didn’t need in the past just to obtain extra Pro packs. They are not easy to come by these days.

Analog Schachcomputers Forever Regards,
John
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cyberchess wrote: :P Way to go, Steve!
It sounds like the late Norbert and Dorothy have bestowed you with good Cyber fortune. Were these modules obtained through e-bay, and if so, how many are Pro modules?
Thanks John
Yes through Ebay
New Pro modules acquired:

excuse me if i am having a "senior moment"but i dont recall discussing the total number of modules that were eventually sold
i have a "Programs Index" listing a total of 53 Amateur and 53 Pro modules
the index was dated 1981.with an addendum stating more modules will be released in October 1982
pretty amazing that Mikun managed to keep the CyberChess going for that long...by 1981-1982 dedicated chess computers were saturating the market
anyway..is this the final list you know of or did he actually release more modules in 82 and beyond?

CyberCurious Regards
Steve
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Steve B wrote: anyway..is this the final list you know of or did he actually release more modules in 82 and beyond?

CyberCurious Regards
Steve
It's quite possible.

Pennies available at counter.

:wink: Subtle Hint Regards,
John
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

In all seriousness, while I used to train exclusively with the Pro Modules, I also own Amateur Modules as well as Standard Modules.

Also, I’ve seen Endgame Modules for sale as part of that large, high-priced collection alluded to previously. They may have also produced Tactical and Positional Modules. The possibilities are virtually endless.

While I’ve yet to come across an index, I believe that there was some overlap in production, as by the early ‘80s, sets were apparently already being ported over to the popular operating systems of the day. Of course home PCs weren’t very common at the time, and of those out there, I’m certain that most chess playing PC owners were far more interested in actual chess playing software. Therefore, the bulk of Cyberchess sales must have been in the form of physical Cyberators and program modules. In fact, I don’t recall ever seeing the digitized versions advertised in Chess Life, although I do recall seeing adverts for the former.

The Cyber Mystery Deepens Regards,
John
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cyberchess wrote:In all seriousness, while I used to train exclusively with the Pro Modules, I also own Amateur Modules as well as Standard Modules.

Also, I’ve seen Endgame Modules for sale as part of that large, high-priced collection alluded to previously. They may have also produced Tactical and Positional Modules. The possibilities are virtually endless.

While I’ve yet to come across an index,
Very Interesting
in the 1981 Index i have there seems to be only one Standard module
do you have ..or know of ..more then one standard module?

never heard of the Endgame module..great info John thanks

Module Madness Regards
Steve
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Steve B wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:In all seriousness, while I used to train exclusively with the Pro Modules, I also own Amateur Modules as well as Standard Modules.

While I’ve yet to come across an index,
Very Interesting
in the 1981 Index i have there seems to be only one Standard module
do you have ..or know of ..more then one standard module?

never heard of the Endgame module..great info John thanks

Module Madness Regards
Steve
:) It’s great to hear that you’ve been afflicted with the Cyber-mania, Steve!

Personally, I own at least 3 Standard Modules, though the mega set auctioned on e-bay several years ago contained quite a few, as I recall.

I sent the seller a message offering him top dollar for his Pro and Endgame Modules. Unfortunately, he wouldn’t budge, and was determined to auction off the entire incomplete set with a very high opening bid.
I had the item on my watch list, and as predicted, nobody placed a bid.

Cyber Recollections Regards,
John
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Cyberchess wrote: :) It’s great to hear that you’ve been afflicted with the Cyber-mania, Steve!

Personally, I own at least 3 Standard Modules, though the mega set auctioned on e-bay several years ago contained quite a few, as I recall.
Amazing

the few Indexes I own only mention Amateur and Pro Modules ..not a word about any other Standard Modules other then the one Standard module included in the package with the TEST module which came with the CyberRater
i checked my Standard Module and it consists of 2 Amt games and 2 Pro games
I am actually enjoying searching for these modules
With so few chess computers left to search for ,these modules are fulfilling my Pre-Historic Primal Male Instinct To..

Hunt And Gather Regards
Steve