which chesscomputer for novice ?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

Vincenzo wrote:
kosterix wrote:I just got a Novag Star Aquamarine from some brit whose granddad passed away and obviously does not play chess.

Once i figured out the on/off switch on the back I started a game just for fun I pressed the red button marked "Go".

I'm not a bad chess player (somewhat below club level) and the bloody thing kicked my ass with a series of brilliant moves. It played like an adolescent punk in high spirits. Fantastic toy. However it seems it never makes mistakes.

According to the manual, the NSA has also some kind of training mode that is intended for novices or something.

I would appreciate if someone could point out how to set the NSA to a mode where it sometimes blunders while other times not play like an idiot. Please give instructions of type press this button then that..

Assuming the Star Aquamarine is just a stronger version of the Aquamarine, then this should do the trick:

New Game
Press Set Level
Press the square G1
Press Go

And you are away.

If this level is too easy then repeat with square G2 instead, and so forth up to G8. Once you can beat G8 then try the other levels as per manual.
Thanks for the response. I did that. With your help I found it in the manual and figured it out.
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
Irrawang

Post by Irrawang »

kosterix wrote:
Irrawang wrote:Just recently played my Excalibur Grandmaster for OTB practice and lost to level 6 which is designated the weakest at one ply search, but because of capture extensions it actually goes deeper than one ply. I had the same experience with Mephisto London program set at one ply. Interestingly Novag machines offer two ply levels with restricted capture extensions. We Humans are more prone to make mistakes involving capture sequences.
I know the feeling. I seem to believe 30 years ago I was actually better at chess than I'll ever be. But what is OTB and how come weakest is called level 6, what happened on level, ehm, 5?
OTB if for Over The Board. The practice has paid off as I managed to win a nice game last Tuesday night in a local tournament. Level 6 is the default level and the weakest, with level 5 being 2 ply. It is a great machine, but it chews up batteries so I'll have to fix my mains adapter.
Always pays to read the manual.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

yes and also forbid your children to access the Internet for longer than 30 minutes. Some friends of mine use the term screen-time, meaning ANY flat light emitting device, any screen. Children under 10 are only allowed 1 hour screen time per day. Above 10 1.5 hr.
Very healthy, as your kids will start to draw, read books, play instruments and play outside.
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

Advice is to put your kids to a chess club. Real pieces, much better. Chess computers are for old men.
Irrawang

Post by Irrawang »

kosterix wrote:
Irrawang wrote:Just recently played my Excalibur Grandmaster for OTB practice and lost to level 6 which is designated the weakest at one ply search, but because of capture extensions it actually goes deeper than one ply. I had the same experience with Mephisto London program set at one ply. Interestingly Novag machines offer two ply levels with restricted capture extensions. We Humans are more prone to make mistakes involving capture sequences.
I know the feeling. I seem to believe 30 years ago I was actually better at chess than I'll ever be. But what is OTB and how come weakest is called level 6, what happened on level, ehm, 5?
My playing strength varies considerably and judging by results against computers I'd say the range would be 1000 to 1650. The reasons for variability would include illness, medications, mood/motivation and just plain rustiness. One time I was playing so poorly that the Tandy 1650 Rapid Response crushed me even on its lowest level. (The reason was because of medication.) When I am in form I can give the 1650 a piece handicap and still win handily. The great thing about computers is their variety of strengths.
If I were to buy a chess computer for a beginner I'd probably get something like the PowerBrain Orion 8 in 1. Apart from that a school chess club would be most likely to produce of competent chess player. Nothing like competition with your peers.
Always pays to read the manual.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

The problem with playing with peers is that chess players usually are very unpleasant people with unpleasant odors. It's the reason I avoided chess clubs for 20 years.

A well-chosen chess computer is best, and then pick some people that are nice and like chess.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

kosterix wrote:The problem with playing with peers is that chess players usually are very unpleasant people with unpleasant odors. It's the reason I avoided chess clubs for 20 years.

A well-chosen chess computer is best, and then pick some people that are nice and like chess.
When I was a club-player, it was common to smoke pipe and cigars. For me as a non-smoker that was a handicap. Nowadays that should be better. Or maybe that is the reason that the older clubplayers are even more unpleasant, as they are not allowed to smoke anymore... :-P

No smoking regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

hmm, if you supported your advice with some arguments I might consider it. Just found out what I suspected: the star aquamarine is a kittinger!

https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... Aquamarine

However nobody on the planet knows its elo, and on A1 level it is too strong, so I would like to find a functional piece that plays a bit weaker. Perhaps a super sensor IV?
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

kosterix wrote:hmm, if you supported your advice with some arguments I might consider it. Just found out what I suspected: the star aquamarine is a kittinger!

However nobody on the planet knows its elo, and on A1 level it is too strong, so I would like to find a functional piece that plays a bit weaker. Perhaps a super sensor IV?
According to the same site you mention, its elo is 1466. There the Sensor IV is rated 1200 elo. For a real novice that could be a start. Or, to start learning chess, you could use the Krypton Pioneer or the Tiger Marathon as well. They should be available for small money. Later on you could play with the CXG Enterprise S (Kaare Danielsen 4k program) or one with the same program, such as the Sphinx Comet, SciSys Concord, Computachess III or some Lexibook (almost all Lexibooks seem to have that same program...). I like it's playing style. Also choice between four playing styles. Strength varying from 1280 to 1340, depending on processor and clockspeed.

Best regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

the best information for NOVICE, and Cheap is on this site:

https://tluif.home.xs4all.nl/weblog/30DEC06.html

full of pages of pictures and information. The chess style can be judged from the pgn moves.
take a look at novag alto, or allegro.
if girls really like, then get a carnelian 2.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

paulwise3 wrote:
kosterix wrote:hmm, if you supported your advice with some arguments I might consider it. Just found out what I suspected: the star aquamarine is a kittinger!

According to the same site you mention, its elo is 1466. There the Sensor IV is rated 1200 elo.
Best regards, Paul
Other sites give wildly varying elo estimates and some give N/A as in not known, so take that 1466 with a grain of salt.
The NSA seems to sense somehow that I have no clue how to do middle game properly, it waits its chance and strikes.
One of these days I'll let it play against the Europa, should be interesting..