Mephisto Talking Chess Academy

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

Mephisto Talking Chess Academy

Post by Reinfeld »

Hello again friends,

Back briefly from a long bout of real-world obligation. I'm now the proud owner of a Mephisto Talking Chess Academy. I couldn't resist the Buy It Now option, and probably paid a little more than needed (about 163 USD, with shipping from Germany).

Despite those misgivings, the machine is in fine shape. Clean, all packaging provided, and seemingly barely used. So that's nice.

One obvious feature surprised me: the voice speaks in German, which makes perfect sense on one level - the seller was based in Germany. Still, I figured I'd get the English version by picking the English model (Talking Chess as opposed to Schachakademie). The manual is in English first, German second. "I talk!" the packaging boasts - not "Ich rede!"

I see no option to change the language. I thought I'd avoided that. I wonder if model numbers play a role here. The box model number is marked as CT06X, as opposed to CT06U or CT06V. Would that be the secret?

I picked this machine up because it strikes me as the strongest "talking" dedicated machine. I haven't checked Nick's vast database of test games to verify yet (excellent work by Nick and so many others, by the way), but this would be my guessed-at final four of talking machines, in order of seeding:

1. Talking Chess Academy/Schachakademie
2. Kishon Chesster*
3. Excalibur Igor
4. Chesster Challenger*

The Chessters are problematic. I wasn't aware until recently that there are two versions of Kishon (one Fidelity, one Mephisto). Perhaps that would explain certain discrepancies. I have the sense that Kishon is *stronger* than the original Chesster - it is certainly newer - but sources seem to differ.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
thierryd33

Saitek CT06V talking chess academy

Post by thierryd33 »

Hello,
I have a saitek academy CT06V (talking chess academy) and he say in german, have you resolve how change the langage please ?

Apparly it's possible to change but i don't

Thanks a lot ! regards
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Mine speaks in English.
Nice board as it has a led on each square.
Horrible sweeping design though.
I bought mine a while ago for my grandson to learn chess.
It now lives in my loft so I will try and fight my way through all the other junk that lives up there and see what model mine is.

Regards
Bryan
thierryd33

Post by thierryd33 »

Very thanks !

it's strange I have CT06V model and it's marked Chess academy in english on board and speak in german ... (the german is marked schachakademy)

I see CT06U and CT06X other model but never specified langage speak

yes it's a good board because as it led on each square .

my notice is in english and german. i don't understand.

regards !
Thierry