What program is Excalibur King Arthur?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Celadus

What program is Excalibur King Arthur?

Post by Celadus »

Does anyone know which chess program this this?

I have the deluxe model 915-3.

The LCD screen nolonger displays the black pawns on the 7th rank.
Can this be repaired or perhaps it is better to purchase the same Excalibur program in another unit.

Thanks
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

It looks like the best excalibur program is Grandmaster. In the cheaper league you should get Ivan II the Conqueror. Or LSD de Luxe.

But in fact the very best Exvalibur thing is a non Ron Nelson program whihc is embedded in Karpov 2000 something.....
Festina Lente
Monsieur Plastique

Re: What program is Excalibur King Arthur?

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Celadus wrote:The LCD screen nolonger displays the black pawns on the 7th rank.
Can this be repaired or perhaps it is better to purchase the same Excalibur program in another unit.
Hi,

I doubt this can be repaired economically as it would likely need a new display. And unfortunately you cannot get parts from Excalibur. Given the modest replacement cost of units containing this program, you are better of buying a new one in my opinion.

Anyway, I still see King Arthurs appear regularly on eBay and the model is still actually listed in the current Excalibur Catalogue. But with this type of program, you could also consider the Einstein Chess Wizard if you did not need an LCD board display. There is also a good machine called the Chess Station, which plays about the same as King Arthur and has a plug in control unit that has an LCD board display as well as a nicely built, thin profile sensor board.

But as Fern mentions above, there are stronger Excalibur programs than King Arthur, Einstein Chess Wizard and Chess Station. Programs like Alexandra, for example are around 250 points stronger, whereas the Ivan II is reported to be slightly stronger again (because it can think on the opponent's time) and has the LCD board that the King Arthur has.

Just be aware though, that there seem to be Ivan II machines out there that have no reported bugs, whereas there are others that even make illegal moves such as castling after the King or rook have moved.

My recommendation is that unless you are unhappy with the King Arthur, you simply buy a replacement unit.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Queegmeister

Post by Queegmeister »

HI

I have a nice STRONG tuned IGOR 24 MHZ that is available for a price.

PM me if interested.

Plays around 2000 Elo

Check it's results in the FINAL RATING ATTEMPT topic.

It's a beast regards

Dr. Queeg :D
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Queegmeister wrote:HI

I have a nice STRONG tuned IGOR 24 MHZ that is available for a price.

PM me if interested.

Plays around 2000 Elo

Check it's results in the FINAL RATING ATTEMPT topic.

It's a beast regards

Dr. Queeg :D
Maybe you would contemplate a quid pro quo arrangement? Perhaps I have something you would exchange with me...

Fern
Festina Lente
Celadus

Re: What program is Excalibur King Arthur?

Post by Celadus »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
Celadus wrote:The LCD screen nolonger displays the black pawns on the 7th rank.
Hi,

I doubt this can be repaired economically as it would likely need a new display. And unfortunately you cannot get parts from Excalibur. Given the modest replacement cost of units containing this program, you are better of buying a new one in my opinion.

Anyway, I still see King Arthurs appear regularly on eBay and the model is still actually listed in the current Excalibur Catalogue. But with this type of program, you could also consider the Einstein Chess Wizard if you did not need an LCD board display. There is also a good machine called the Chess Station, which plays about the same as King Arthur and has a plug in control unit that has an LCD board display as well as a nicely built, thin profile sensor board.

But as Fern mentions above, there are stronger Excalibur programs than King Arthur, Einstein Chess Wizard and Chess Station. Programs like Alexandra, for example are around 250 points stronger, whereas the Ivan II is reported to be slightly stronger again (because it can think on the opponent's time) and has the LCD board that the King Arthur has.

Just be aware though, that there seem to be Ivan II machines out there that have no reported bugs, whereas there are others that even make illegal moves such as castling after the King or rook have moved.

My recommendation is that unless you are unhappy with the King Arthur, you simply buy a replacement unit.
Thank you for the comments & advice. Most helpful.