La Regence

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Gerd Isenberg

La Regence

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Hi,

first, big Thanks to all experts of dedicated units here as a great source of the history of chess computers as well as chess programming I have taken for the chess programming wiki, notably Mike Watters, Steve B, Alain Zanchetta, Bryan Whitby and Spacious mind et al.. Let me know of you don't like "sharing" pictures, or referring scanned documents. However, I'll try to refer all "contributions", and of course, if you like, you are welcome to edit and upload stuff there as well.

I have a question related to the La Regence, designed by Intelligent Software and manufactured in France by a company of Frederic Ries in 1982, which went into liquidation in 1983. Were the La Regence computers later distributed by Applied Concepts, Chafitz and Sandy, still from the initial French production line, or did Applied manufactured their own ones with their own sensory board?

Thanks in advance,
Gerd
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: La Regence

Post by Steve B »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:Hi,

first, big Thanks to all experts of dedicated units here as a great source of the history of chess computers as well as chess programming I have taken for the chess programming wiki, notably Mike Watters, Steve B, Alain Zanchetta, Bryan Whitby and Spacious mind et al.. Let me know of you don't like "sharing" pictures, or referring scanned documents. However, I'll try to refer all "contributions", and of course, if you like, you are welcome to edit and upload stuff there as well.

I have a question related to the La Regence, designed by Intelligent Software and manufactured in France by a company of Frederic Ries in 1982, which went into liquidation in 1983. Were the La Regence computers later distributed by Applied Concepts, Chafitz and Sandy, still from the initial French production line, or did Applied manufactured their own ones with their own sensory board?

Thanks in advance,
Gerd
Hi Gerd
Well mine was distributed by Sandy Electronics
it is No.6 and released for sale in 1983
I really have no idea if it was from the original production line

as for using any of my photos or documents
you of course have my permission to use anything you wish for the Wiki which is an invaluable source of information for the Hardcore Collector

XXX Regards
Steve
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Hi Gerd

Although I have noticed one or two dubious references to La Regence being made by Applied Concepts I personally have not come across any connection between La Regence and Applied Concepts or Chafitz. Sandy distributed Applied Concepts/Destiny machines in Germany, and incidentally distributed Steve's La Regence but that is probably the only connection there is. The articles in PCW April 1983 and CSS 1984 4+5 (Page 10) give enough background to show that La Regence was built in France.

Best wishes
Mike
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Mike Watters wrote:Hi Gerd

Although I have noticed one or two dubious references to La Regence being made by Applied Concepts I personally have not come across any connection between La Regence and Applied Concepts or Chafitz. Sandy distributed Applied Concepts/Destiny machines in Germany, and incidentally distributed Steve's La Regence but that is probably the only connection there is. The articles in PCW April 1983 and CSS 1984 4+5 (Page 10) give enough background to show that La Regence was built in France.

Best wishes
Mike
Hi Mike,
Thank you very much, makes it quite clear. What still puzzles me is the Philidor vs. La Regence issue at AMC 1981 and ACM 1981 Blitz as mentioned by O’Connell in the PCW April 83 article. Were there two different programs playing in the main and Blitz event, a Broughton/Taylor program and a Lang program both running on an Z80 based Osborne?

What also puzzles me, when and where was the 1st European Microcomputer Chess Championship? Was it the 1st PCW Microcomputer Chess Championship Spetember 1978 with three US programs running, or was it incorporated within the 3rd PCW Microcomputer Chess Championship September 1980, which already was simultaneously the First World Microcomputer Chess Championship, or a complete other event I am not aware of?

Cheers,
Gerd
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Steve B wrote: as for using any of my photos or documents
you of course have my permission to use anything you wish for the Wiki which is an invaluable source of information for the Hardcore Collector
Thanks a lot Steve!
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:
Thanks a lot Steve!
Steve, you should join the wiki. I am sure you could provide valuable information.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Gerd Isenberg wrote:
Thanks a lot Steve!
Steve, you should join the wiki. I am sure you could provide valuable information.
Thanks for the kind words Harvey
id rather remain a
Nobody Regards
Steve