Constellation Expert Expert - Interface Card

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
dedicate computers

Constellation Expert Expert - Interface Card

Post by dedicate computers »

Hello,

In the Constellation Expert, what does this accessory mean in the "interface card"?
In the owner's manual says that need the "interface card", this was made available by Novag?

Regards
Oswaldo
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

I believe that's referring to selecting which interface to send data through, either PC or TV, via the distributor, which is a separate box that acts sort of like a router or interface adapter between super system devices, PCs, and TVs.

Regarding the "interface card", I haven't opened my CE but perhaps the interface is on a separate but built-in card (like the Universal Chess Boards and probably the Citrines) and the software on a separate ROM, sort of the way the earlier Super Connies and other early machines had a socket for the printer ROM. But that's just a guess. I've never seen an interface card, unless they mean a serial port interface card and the Novag driver software for PCs. I suppose that's possible, especially if the PCs at the time still needed a card to have basic I/O connectivity.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
dedicate computers

Connection for Novag

Post by dedicate computers »

I believe that's referring to selecting which interface to send data through, either PC or TV, via the distributor, which is a separate box that acts sort of like a router or interface adapter between super system devices, PCs, and TVs.

Regarding the "interface card", I haven't opened my CE but perhaps the interface is on a separate but built-in card (like the Universal Chess Boards and probably the Citrines) and the software on a separate ROM, sort of the way the earlier Super Connies and other early machines had a socket for the printer ROM. But that's just a guess. I've never seen an interface card, unless they mean a serial port interface card and the Novag driver software for PCs. I suppose that's possible, especially if the PCs at the time still needed a card to have basic I/O connectivity.

Hi,

Ok about your comments, but my question is where should I connect the cable for data transfer. The possible inputs would be where the clock would be connected but not recommended, the other input is for the Novag printer However the connection requires a special cable.

JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Good point. (I don't use my CE very often, as Super Expert and Sapphire have supplanted it.)

Unless Novag was planning an interface that would use the printer connector, I can't think of how they were going to do that. But I've never heard of such an interface; maybe someone else has.

Perhaps that's one reason they came out quickly with the first Super Expert, even though it was a little weaker, because they couldn't get the CE to work with an interface via the printer port?

Sorry I wasn't more helpful.
Cheers,

Jeff B.