Chess for Dell Axim x5?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
appleshampogal

Chess for Dell Axim x5?

Post by appleshampogal »

I recently got a PDA, as mentioned in the subject line it's a Dell Axim! I found versions for later Axim series, but not one that would work with my model. If anyone has any ideas please send them my way. :)
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

The Dell Axim X5 is from 2002, I had a similar iPaq 3950 from same era and remember having Pocket Fritz 2 and Pocket GrandMaster installed on it. Pocket Fritz 1 will also work but I’m not sure about the later PF3 and PF4. If you do some digging on the Shredder Chess home page you should get to download page for Shredder Mobile which might work. Windows CE board from Alain Zanchetta site also might work.
appleshampogal

Post by appleshampogal »

Cubeman wrote:The Dell Axim X5 is from 2002, I had a similar iPaq 3950 from same era and remember having Pocket Fritz 2 and Pocket GrandMaster installed on it. Pocket Fritz 1 will also work but I’m not sure about the later PF3 and PF4. If you do some digging on the Shredder Chess home page you should get to download page for Shredder Mobile which might work. Windows CE board from Alain Zanchetta site also might work.
I'm digging for Pocket Fritz first. If you know where it might be hiding please let me know. I'll then move on and try to find the others!
appleshampogal

Post by appleshampogal »

Cubeman wrote:The Dell Axim X5 is from 2002, I had a similar iPaq 3950 from same era and remember having Pocket Fritz 2 and Pocket GrandMaster installed on it. Pocket Fritz 1 will also work but I’m not sure about the later PF3 and PF4. If you do some digging on the Shredder Chess home page you should get to download page for Shredder Mobile which might work. Windows CE board from Alain Zanchetta site also might work.

I just tried to install Pocket Fritz 2, but it said it wasn't a valid Pocket PC application... :cry: I guess I'll have to find version 1.
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

appleshampogal wrote:

I just tried to install Pocket Fritz 2, but it said it wasn't a valid Pocket PC application... :cry: I guess I'll have to find version 1.
Pity that as Pocket Fritz 2 contains the Hiarcs engine!
appleshampogal

Post by appleshampogal »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:
appleshampogal wrote:

Yeah, I've never tried Hiarcs, that's interesting trivia though. I'll have to try this CE board next! I'll let ya'll know how that goes *fingers crossed*. :roll:
appleshampogal

Post by appleshampogal »

CEboard didn't install either. Is this normal?
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

You have to update OS at your device up to 2003 version, otherwise almost any chess program would not work on it... Check special forums about or find an experienced user for help because this process might be not easy.
appleshampogal

Post by appleshampogal »

IvenGO wrote:You have to update OS at your device up to 2003 version, otherwise almost any chess program would not work on it... Check special forums about or find an experienced user for help because this process might be not easy.
Thanks, I definitely agree. I submitted a post to a subreddit called retrobattlestations, so hopefully someone experienced might know where to find the driver required and how to install it. I definitely want to make this work. Should make using this wifi card easier to install as well.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

appleshampogal wrote:

Pocket Fritz 2 is actually a version of Shredder 7, Hiarcs made its debut in PF3.
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Cubeman wrote:
appleshampogal wrote:

Pocket Fritz 2 is actually a version of Shredder 7, Hiarcs made its debut in PF3.
Yes, stand corrected. PF4 is also Hiarcs.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

appleshampogal wrote:
IvenGO wrote:You have to update OS at your device up to 2003 version, otherwise almost any chess program would not work on it... Check special forums about or find an experienced user for help because this process might be not easy.
Thanks, I definitely agree. I submitted a post to a subreddit called retrobattlestations, so hopefully someone experienced might know where to find the driver required and how to install it. I definitely want to make this work. Should make using this wifi card easier to install as well.
If your PC has SD memory card slot then it is easier to just copy the the CAB file that contains the particular program to the card and then insert the SD in to the Dell Axim and activate it thru the file explorer on device, no need to try and find drivers and cables. PocketGrandMaster still has the CAB files to download but to activate full features requires a key that goes with the name of owner of device. I still have the CAB files on my PC for PF2 which I still use on my last iPaq PPC purchase. Also PF2 will work with PPC 2002 which the Dell would have by default actually it can be risky to update the Dell to PPC 2003.
appleshampogal

Post by appleshampogal »

Cubeman wrote:
appleshampogal wrote:
If your PC has SD memory card slot then it is easier to just copy the the CAB file that contains the particular program to the card and then insert the SD in to the Dell Axim and activate it thru the file explorer on device, no need to try and find drivers and cables. PocketGrandMaster still has the CAB files to download but to activate full features requires a key that goes with the name of owner of device. I still have the CAB files on my PC for PF2 which I still use on my last iPaq PPC purchase. Also PF2 will work with PPC 2002 which the Dell would have by default actually it can be risky to update the Dell to PPC 2003.
Could you perhaps email me the cab files that are required? I can run a test when I get back on Monday afternoon.
kalatov

Post by kalatov »

I have a Dell Axim x5 and I've always used CEBoard with either Crafty or Fruit. In fact the reason I hold on to my old PDAs is precisely to use CEBoard as it is my favourite way of studying chess books.