The Curious Case of the Radio Shack Partner 1680X

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Reinfeld wrote:I hate it when indefatigable researchers convince me to buy another chess computer.

- R.
Hi Reinfeld,

I would not advice you to buy the model 60-2428, unless you are a true collector ;).
And if you already have the Sensor XL then you do not need the model 60-2428A.
But both are peculiar in a way:
- the Partner 1680X 60-2428 (Saitek Olympiad clone) has no time levels, but only ply-levels. And within one ply-level you can select a position evaluation varying from basic to advanced. But it does have a position setup feature and mate-finding levels (max=mate in 4).
- the 60-2428A (Saitek Sensor XL clone) has both time levels and ply levels, and three playing styles.
It also has a combination finder (for material win) and a mate finder. But the peculiar thing is, that it does not have a position setup feature!??

Right now I am playing a 30 secs/move match between the Sensor XL and the Novag Carnelian II. The Carnelian II shows it's coffeehouse playing style again (sometimes harakiri...), the XL plays a solid game (relative to it's elo of almost 1500 of course), and has a clear lead now of 10,5 - 5,5.

So I let it up to you... ;)

Best regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Hi Reinfeld,

I would not advice you to buy the model 60-2428, unless you are a true collector (Wink).
Hi Paul:)

Yes, if I go for anything, it's the 60-2428A. I don't have the Sensor XL - but if I read this thread correctly, the 2428A is a GK 2000 in a different box, and I do have a GK 2000, so it becomes a question of seeking any significant differences that would justify the purchase.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Reinfeld wrote:
Hi Reinfeld,

I would not advice you to buy the model 60-2428, unless you are a true collector (Wink).
Hi Paul:)

Yes, if I go for anything, it's the 60-2428A. I don't have the Sensor XL - but if I read this thread correctly, the 2428A is a GK 2000 in a different box, and I do have a GK 2000, so it becomes a question of seeking any significant differences that would justify the purchase.

- R.
Hi Reinfeld,

It is definitely not a GK2000 clone, I posted before a link to the manual for the 2428A, and that shows that it is not a GK2000. And the levels that are stated, are exactly the same as for the Saitek Sensor XL.

Best regards,
Paul
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
lealgo

Post by lealgo »

paulwise3 wrote:
- the 60-2428A (Saitek Sensor XL clone) has both time levels and ply levels, and three playing styles.
It also has a combination finder (for material win) and a mate finder. But the peculiar thing is, that it does not have a position setup feature!??
Hi:

My 1680X model A, DOES have the position setup feature, with a dedicated button for that.

Regards,
Leandro
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

lealgo wrote:
paulwise3 wrote:
Hi:

My 1680X model A, DOES have the position setup feature, with a dedicated button for that.

Regards,
Leandro
Hi Leandro,

If the model 2428A has the same buttons as the model 2428 you are right.
The funny thing is however, that the Sensor XL does NOT have a setup button...!! Also it's manual does not mention it, whereas the manual of the 2428A does mention it. So it seems it is a slightly modified/upgraded version of the Sensor XL, as they do have the same level settings.

Thanx for correcting me.
Now, like Reinfeld, I am also looking to buy the 2428A...!? ;-)

Best regards,
Paul
lealgo

Post by lealgo »

paulwise3 wrote: Hi Leandro,

If the model 2428A has the same buttons as the model 2428 you are right.
The funny thing is however, that the Sensor XL does NOT have a setup button...!! Also it's manual does not mention it, whereas the manual of the 2428A does mention it. So it seems it is a slightly modified/upgraded version of the Sensor XL, as they do have the same level settings.

Thanx for correcting me.
Now, like Reinfeld, I am also looking to buy the 2428A...!? ;-)

Best regards,
Paul
Hello Paul,

You're welcome. I was not correcting you though, I really thought you had yet another variant! I'm far from being a collector... in fact this model 2428A is the only chess computer I have :D

Best regards,
Leandro
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

I just had a short meeting with Luuk Hofman. He owns the 60-2428A model, which has exactly the same level settings as the Saitek Sensor XL. For a picture, see:
http://www.schaakcomputers.nl/schaakcom ... =3&merk=Go
I have the model without the A, which is identical to the Saitek Olympiad.
As I am handing over my model to Luuk, I guess it will appear sometime on his website... ;-)

But the funny thing is: I bought my model from someone, who in the past previously bought it from Luuk!? Luuk then apparently did not know about the special connection between the two...

Best regards,
Paul
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

It's nice to see this mystery finally solved once and for all since I started this thread over 5 years ago. I often wondered how a company could market a board and then, all of a sudden, change it to something completely different even though externally it looked exactly the same as did the packaging except for one little 'A' added to the model number without any mention.

The marketing of it was even more surprising in that Radio Shack could have advertised the new version as 'new and improved', 'more powerful and at the same price'.
bataais

Post by bataais »

This model 60-2428A and its predecessor Sensor XL could well be a Morsch programme, as I posted on https://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/s ... php?t=5564.

It seems to have a NullMove search, it can't sovle the well known zugzwang problems. And after a reset (ACL) and pressing play while the led-sequence runs, the display shows FRZ. (Fritz?)

If this is true, it would be the smallest Morsch programme, and the comparison to a GK2000 would not be so wrong.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Here lies a great job for our friend Fernando: persuade Graig Barnes to come to this forum once more and tell us about the Sensor XL, did you program it or was it someone else!?!?

Persuading regards,
Paul
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

bataais wrote:This model 60-2428A and its predecessor Sensor XL could well be a Morsch programme, as I posted on https://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/s ... php?t=5564.

It seems to have a NullMove search, it can't sovle the well known zugzwang problems. And after a reset (ACL) and pressing play while the led-sequence runs, the display shows FRZ. (Fritz?)

If this is true, it would be the smallest Morsch programme, and the comparison to a GK2000 would not be so wrong.
Working for Saitek, Barnes had complete access to Saitek's Morsch programs. It would be just like Nelson pruning down to fit into small 4 Bit and 8 Bit processors.

The same would probably be true for Novag as well, with someone working there reducing Kittinger programs down to a size where even opening books were left off.

All done so that beginners buy a fairly cheaply priced chess computer in a store that they have a chance in beating.

Best regards
Nick