First Photo of the Revelation II

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

First Photo of the Revelation II

Post by Steve B »

Has been posted on Ruud's site

http://www.phoenixcs.nl/index.php?lang=en
Ooops

The Omikron Bogol Sends its regards
Steve
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 0923817845
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Thanks for that Steve. The Res II is breathtakingly beautiful. But Ruud has got to do something about the white on black text on the website.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:Thanks for that Steve. The Res II is breathtakingly beautiful. But Ruud has got to do something about the white on black text on the website.
Yup
its a beauty no doubt about it
actually i hope he doesn't correct the glitch with the wrong colored squares
maybe sell 5 like that then correct it
makes it all the more collectible

Inverted Jenny Regards
Steve
Larry

Re: First Photo of the Revelation II

Post by Larry »

Steve, get right onto Ruud and make him an offer for this very board.
I looked at it for a moment and could'nt believe my eyes. The square
colors are reversed.
Here is Ruud's last paragraph:
quote<PS, for the good observer, this board has a prototype error in it, as the white and black fields have been reversed. Interesting enough the first ever production chess computer, the Fidelity Chess Challenger 1 had also such a problem, but then on the first production release itself, by indicating columns/files as 1-8 and the rows/ranks as A-H.>unquote
I know Dave made a comment about the white on black text, and
thought that had something to do with it, but no...
Larry
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

It must have been devastating to open up that prototype and see the board reversed. Just an awful error! These reversal/mirror image errors seem to creep into other areas: In several movies over the years where there have been doctor's office or hospital scenes, the chest x-rays have been reversed ( with the heart on the right :) ).
Larry

Post by Larry »

SirDave wrote:It must have been devastating to open up that prototype and see the board reversed. Just an awful error! These reversal/mirror image errors seem to creep into other areas: In several movies over the years where there have been doctor's office or hospital scenes, the chest x-rays have been reversed ( with the heart on the right :) ).
Shows us that the contractors doing jobs are not chess literate.
I actually meant to apologize for my post, in which I showed I had not
read Steve's post properly, but submitted my two cents worth in a
hurry as I was on my way out the door. That machine in the picture will
be known as one of a kind in the decades ahead, and will be the
"Mona Lisa" of chess computers. Ruud would be silly to sell it cheaply
as a dud machine, IMO.
Larry
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:
SirDave wrote:It must have been devastating to open up that prototype and see the board reversed. Just an awful error! These reversal/mirror image errors seem to creep into other areas: In several movies over the years where there have been doctor's office or hospital scenes, the chest x-rays have been reversed ( with the heart on the right :) ).
Shows us that the contractors doing jobs are not chess literate.
I actually meant to apologize for my post, in which I showed I had not
read Steve's post properly, but submitted my two cents worth in a
hurry as I was on my way out the door. That machine in the picture will
be known as one of a kind in the decades ahead, and will be the
"Mona Lisa" of chess computers. Ruud would be silly to sell it cheaply
as a dud machine, IMO.
Larry
Hi guys

The wrong colored squares glitch is not the first time
thats why i mentioned the Omikron Bogol and provided a link to it
here we have an another wooden dedicated chess computer that had the wrong colored squares and competed in tournaments(shown in the link playing against The TSBIV La Regence)
not certain if it was ever actually sold to the public though and might never have left Prototype stage
i would give an arm and a leg to get one of those
Grasping and Limping Regards
Steve
compguy

Post by compguy »

That's a beautiful board. I wonder what the price is going to be, has there been any hints?
Mephisto Munich London 68020
Fidelity Mach III Master 6098
DGT Bluetooth eBoard
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

I believe this beauty will be easily over the 3000 euros.

High price regards
Ricardo
compguy

Post by compguy »

3000 Euros is $4000 USD current exchange rate. Wonder if it'd be foolish to make a second mortage on my house (Joking... well kind of).
Mephisto Munich London 68020
Fidelity Mach III Master 6098
DGT Bluetooth eBoard
phoenixcs

Post by phoenixcs »

compguy wrote:3000 Euros is $4000 USD current exchange rate. Wonder if it'd be foolish to make a second mortage on my house (Joking... well kind of).
Actually, chess computer friends, the price is 2.795 Euro. And for my american friends you may deduct tax (19%), so you are looking at 2.450 Euro. But then there is the DGT piece recognition added...

Hope you like the design...

All the best.
Best,

Ruud Martin
Phoenix Chess Systems
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Hi Rudd: Beautiful JOB!!!
Few questions, price will include a case? What about mephisto engines? any links with pics or better yet videos? I'll order one as soon as is available. Let me know is there's a waiting list or anything like that. AGAIN, beautiful JOB!!
Mike
phoenixcs

Post by phoenixcs »

chesspcmac wrote:Hi Rudd: Beautiful JOB!!!
Few questions, price will include a case? What about mephisto engines? any links with pics or better yet videos? I'll order one as soon as is available. Let me know is there's a waiting list or anything like that. AGAIN, beautiful JOB!!
Mike
Mike,

The price does not include a case, but a handy stiff carton box, and the Revelation II will be protected by a cloth. The pieces are in a cloth bag, and the Revelation II will (probably) also have such a cloth. This cloth can also be used to lay over the Revelation II board, as to protect it from sunlight marks. All things are not yet precisely set, so please be somewhat patient for exact details.

The RL emulator must be adapted, so it will be an addon. For those customers who already bought the RL emulations, a discount is foreseen.
Best,

Ruud Martin
Phoenix Chess Systems
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

phoenixcs wrote:
chesspcmac wrote:Hi Rudd: Beautiful JOB!!!
Mike
Mike,

The price does not include a case, but a handy stiff carton box, and the Revelation II will be protected by a cloth. The pieces are in a cloth bag, and the Revelation II will (probably) also have such a cloth. This cloth can also be used to lay over the Revelation II board, as to protect it from sunlight marks. All things are not yet precisely set, so please be somewhat patient for exact details.

The RL emulator must be adapted, so it will be an addon. For those customers who already bought the RL emulations, a discount is foreseen.
Hi Ruud
will the release of the Rev II mark the end of new engine releases for the Res ll and Rev l?
Discountinued Regards
Steve
phoenixcs

Post by phoenixcs »

Steve B wrote:Hi Ruud
will the release of the Rev II mark the end of new engine releases for the Res ll and Rev l?
Discountinued Regards
Steve
Steve,

Well, not really, however the current flash storage is quite full, so expanding the current modules is (almost) not possible.
Best,

Ruud Martin
Phoenix Chess Systems