Tasc tutor & Chessica cd 2

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
CompDad

Tasc tutor & Chessica cd 2

Post by CompDad »

Does anyone have and could make available this cd? I found on internet archive but could not make it work.

Does it run on DOS or windows only?

Looks like to be abandonware soft since Tasc is long gone.

Any info about the subject will be highly appreciated.

Playing very old stuff regards

Cheer
Tibono2

Re: Tasc tutor & Chessica cd 2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi,
I don't have the CD, nevertheless I run Chessica 1.1 for Windows, using Win3.11 with DosBox.
Here you can download a package.
If you already have DosBox and Win3.11 configured on your PC, you can just get and install accordingly the chessica sub-directory.
Tasc Tutor is not included in the above package; maybe you can get it to work once you load the CD with DosBox and Win3.11? I don't know about.
Cheers,
Tibono
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

Tibono2 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:00 am Hi,
I don't have the CD, nevertheless I run Chessica 1.1 for Windows, using Win3.11 with DosBox.
Here you can download a package.
If you already have DosBox and Win3.11 configured on your PC, you can just get and install accordingly the chessica sub-directory.
Tasc Tutor is not included in the above package; maybe you can get it to work once you load the CD with DosBox and Win3.11? I don't know about.
Cheers,
Tibono
Really thanks Tibono, you are a true gentleman.

The program runs, but I cant make the pieces move.

I'll keep trying.

Never give up regards

Cheers
fhub

Post by fhub »

CompDad wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:52 pm The program runs, but I cant make the pieces move.

I'll keep trying.
Hi,

there's an option 'Anticipate' in Chessica which makes the program almost unusable -
it's usually called 'Permanent Brain' or 'Ponder', but when this option is activated,
the program is responding VERY slowly to any mouse clicks.

Change this option to 'Anticipate=0' in the file CHESSICA.INI and try it again.
If that still doesn't work, then I have another method to run 16bit Windows programs
in a 64bit Windows, which is much simpler than using DosBox+Win3.11 ...

Regards,
Franz
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

CompDad wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:52 pm The program runs, but I cant make the pieces move.
They only move using drag&drop, maybe you tried clicking on them?
All the best,
Tibono
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

fhub wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:03 pm

I'll keep trying.
Hi,

there's an option 'Anticipate' in Chessica which makes the program almost unusable -
it's usually called 'Permanent Brain' or 'Ponder', but when this option is activated,
the program is responding VERY slowly to any mouse clicks.

Change this option to 'Anticipate=0' in the file CHESSICA.INI and try it again.
If that still doesn't work, then I have another method to run 16bit Windows programs
in a 64bit Windows, which is much simpler than using DosBox+Win3.11 ...

Regards,
Franz
Hi, fhub, thanks for the antedipate tip. , very apreciated, as I`m no so stronger anymore and disable ponder give me a way to win (with instant response on!)

As for the other way to run these old programs that we Love without usiing dosbox and win 3.1,I I`m all ears! please go ahead and tell us how to d o it!

The alchemist is becoming very hard to beat regards

Cheers
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

Tibono2 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 am
They only move using drag&drop, maybe you tried clicking on them?
All the best,
Tibono
Oh dear....thanks tibono, my brain is malfunctioning...now it works as supossed...i`m getting old...

now I have to make tasc chess tutor to work....just for fun...

singing My Way regards

Cheers
fhub

Post by fhub »

CompDad wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:41 pm As for the other way to run these old programs that we Love without usiing dosbox and win 3.1,I I`m all ears! please go ahead and tell us how to d o it!
Well, there's a small, powerful tool called 'otvdm' that allows you to directly run 16bit WIndows programs in 64bit Windows.
It just uses the 16bit Windows subsystem that has been removed by Microsft in the last 64bit Windows versions.
If you are interested how it works - here's the original website:
https://github.com/otya128/winevdm

I've uploaded a package from the latest version here (I've just changed the name to 'Win16' instead of 'otvdm'):
https://c.gmx.net/@317206859884790529/B ... 1ZG8CrNFGA

Just unzip this 'Win16.zip' anywhere and you are ready to run a 16bit Windows program by starting the included 'Win16.exe',
navigate to your 16bit program and select the 16bit EXE (e.g. CHESSICA.EXE).

If you want you can also install this 'otvdm' system by double-clicking on the included file 'install.lnk' -
in this case you can even run 16bit Windows programs directly by starting the corresponding EXE file with a double click.
This works if you're using the Windows explorer to start a program or if you have created a desktop link to the program
(when using other file managers (like TotalCommander, etc.) it may be necessary to start the program as Administrator).

Regards,
Franz