Top Eight 16CPU

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Graham Banks

Top Eight 16CPU

Post by Graham Banks »

TOP EIGHT 16CPU

AMD Ryzen 5950x
ChessGUI
4096mb hash each where possible
6 piece tablebases
Ponder off
GBSelect2023.cgb book
2 hours with 30 second increments.
4 cycles 28 rounds
All engines 16CPU (64-bit where available)

Participants

Stockfish 16.1 64-bit
Torch v2 64-bit
Dragon by Komodo 3.3 64-bit
Berserk 12 64-bit
Ethereal 14.25 64-bit
RubiChess 20240112 64-bit
Caissa 1.17 64-bit
Obsidian 11.0 64-bit

Web based link for live viewing (courtesy of Jay - Berserk author).
https://ccrl.live/16076

Alternatively, if you install TLCV (Tom's Live Chess Viewer) on your computer, you can watch the games live move by move. You'll also be able to chat to others following the tournament in the chatroom there.
http://kirill-kryukov.com/chess/discuss ... p?id=42959
Host - GrahamCCRL.dyndns.org Port - 16076

Linux users can use Livius:
https://github.com/kmar/livius

There is also a Livius windows version.
It has live pv boards as a nice addition.
http://www.crabaware.com/livius/
spacious_mind

Re: Top Eight 16CPU

Post by spacious_mind »

Hi Graham

I am just curious, after all the 1000s of chess engines/programs you have tested and played over the years, which one or ones remain your personal favorites? Be it through nostalgia or the way they play.

Best regards
Nick
Nick
Larry

Post by Larry »

Hi Nick, good to have you back. Out of curiosity I asked myself that question. The answer
for me is Chess Genius by Richard Lang. I paid good dollars for it and it came on a 1.4 mb disc,
and if you somehow botched it you got three “lives”, meaning you had two more installs. After
that, tough luck. I knew it was cheap nowadays, but to my surprise it’s free for my iPad. Just
downloaded it. Fond memories… I still remember the quantum leap up in strength versus
the Novag Expert.
A big welcome back to Graham and Ted Summers also.
Larry
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Hi Larry

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I still have those Chess Genius disks with limited installation allowance. Fortunately, back then there were people around who had figured out how to crack them.

The Chess Champion Super System MK III was the first computer I bought; it was expensive back then. I paid around DM 199 for it in a super store. It was quite weak, so I used to let it run for 24 hours for a move, sort of made correspondence matches with it. But it was still weak so when the novelty wore out it stayed on a shelf for many years, rarely played. It was only many years later that I became interested in dedicated computers again.

My interest back then was more on the computers. Sinclair Spectrum 48K, then Commodore 64, followed by Commodore Amiga and Sinclair QL. I still have all these computers and then some.

Anyway, for the 48K and 64K you had Sargon IV and Chessmaster 2K & 2100 and Colossus 4 amongst others to play with which were all quite a bit stronger than the MK III I had in a cupboard somewhere collecting dust. Then when the QL came out in 1984 you had packaged with Richard Lang's Psion Chess and in 1985 Amiga came out, with Chess Player 2150 coming out in 1989 and Chessmaster 3000 in 1991.

So, for many years from 1984 to 1991 Psion Chess was what I had most fun and challenges with until Chessmaster 3000 which I then fell in love with and found most fun to play until Chessmaster 4000 came out on a PC. It was with CM4000 that I realized that I could no longer take it for granted that I would win against computers. Back then I used to play quite a lot and was lot better than I am now, since I have never played anyone in years and years.

But I had so much with CM3000 and CM4000 and the later CM series that I have to say that Chessmaster will always remain my favorite followed by Psion and Fritz.

I remember setting up lots of tournaments with the many Chessmaster personalities and just play a league with them where they played each other and me and I would try to see where I would finish in the league.

So overall throughout the years I will have to say that for me Chessmaster series wins hands down as my favorite all time.

BTW, it wasn't until the 2000s when I got really interested in dedicated computers again after my MK III playing experience :)

Best regards
Nick
Nick