Collector's Corner..On Collecting Dedicated Chess Computers

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

For SciSys/Saitek wooden chess computers, let's not forget the autosensory (but smaller yet more powerful) Corona and President. Or the even smaller but pressure-sensor Astral, Virtuoso or Capella. Also, Saitek kept the Mephisto Exclusive line going after Mephisto went under.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

JeffB wrote:For SciSys/Saitek wooden chess computers, let's not forget the autosensory (but smaller yet more powerful) Corona and President. Or the even smaller but pressure-sensor Astral, Virtuoso or Capella. Also, Saitek kept the Mephisto Exclusive line going after Mephisto went under.
nor shall we forget the wooden pressure sensory Stratos

That About Covers It Regards
Steve
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

I forgot that one.

Steel-trap sieve Regards,
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

What's this? I'm not inclined to buy it, but I'm curious if anyone knows...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162897885858?ul_noapp=true

Curious regards,

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Reinfeld wrote:What's this? I'm not inclined to buy it, but I'm curious if anyone knows...

Curious regards,

- R.
Nice find!

The older color televisions often contained a RGB (Red Green Blue) composite input, required to operate this cool gadget from the Y2K era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model

Does it actually contain several thousand Grandmaster games? I definitely like the [Random] feature. It’s rather akin to the shuffle feature on most CD/MP3 players.

It might be a worthwhile endeavor to design a hardware interface to facilitate ChessVision 8000 running on a modern digital television.

The Couch Potato Way to Study Regards,
John
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Cyberchess wrote:
The older color televisions often contained a RGB (Red Green Blue) composite input, required to operate this cool gadget from the Y2K era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model
Just to clarify, from the description, and the photo, the composite cable being used to connect this to a television is the yellow plug video cable (that was sometimes also included with a red and white cable that carried audio). The RGB cables were called "component" cables, and came along later, and could carry high-definition signals, but they were video-only.
anchovyd

Post by anchovyd »

Reinfeld wrote:What's this? I'm not inclined to buy it, but I'm curious if anyone knows...

Curious regards,

- R.
Hi Reinfeld,

The Chess Vision 8000 for auction is mine. I bought it new direct from the manufacturer (I think a one man operation in the Pacific Northwest, Oregon I think). I think there was a classifed ad in Chess Life in the early 2000's for it.

I remember thinking it was a pretty cool idea but also kind of behind the times because you could get your computer to play through games. The Chess Vision 8000 would've been the bomb in 1987 but in 2000 or 2002 it didn't make sense really, but I bought it anyway.

As you can see, even the graphics look straight out of 1991. I hooked this up to the TV in my living room and would have it on in the background during dinner parties or sometimes just kick back and watch a game.

There is no power switch and no audio output it is just monochrome graphics output. There are thousands of games on it I don't know exactly how many, I guess I could enter in the game numbers and see how high I can get.

It has a composite video output (cable with RCA connectors with Luminance (Y) and Chrominance (C) combined). This is the standard video that old video games, old computers, VHS players and LaserDisc players use. On modern TV's you'd plug it into the Video input.

This isn't component video with the three cables for Luminance, Red and Blue (Analog RGB) that was used for HD TV before HDMI took over.

Back to the Chess Vision 8000. I figure it must be rare since even I wasn't sure about buying it and I buy all things chess computer related. I forgot how much it originally cost so I started the auction at $10.

Now its really just a collector's item since you can queue up a bunch of GM games on YouTube and play it from your phone over your 70" LCD Flat Panel using your ChromeCast.

This was old school and retro even when it first came out and definitely seemed like an anachronism.

I tried looking for info online about it before I posted it but really can't find anything written about it. I'm just downsizing and came across it in my closet when I was figuring out which chess computers I should sell.
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Very interesting. So it's a kind of master game wallpaper. Thanks for the info. I'd never heard of it.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

anchovyd wrote:
It has a composite video output (cable with RCA connectors with Luminance (Y) and Chrominance (C) combined). This is the standard video that old video games, old computers, VHS players and LaserDisc players use. On modern TV's you'd plug it into the Video input.

This isn't component video with the three cables for Luminance, Red and Blue (Analog RGB) that was used for HD TV before HDMI took over.
Greetings anchovyd, and congratulations on owning a rare, one-of-a-kind vintage chess item on the bay! These scarce, unusual items have a tendency to garner quite a few bids on eBay, and usually close for much more than expected.

While I completely kicked the boob tube habit in 02, I do recall connecting my old VCRs to my television with the composite cable. For the audio component, I used gold plated RCA cables to connect the device to my stereo amp, and didn’t even bother with the television’s mediocre at best speakers, whether watching the TV or videos.

I actually enjoy the old (primitive nowadays) monochrome/CGA/EGA graphics, as it brings back memories of the early video games and chess programs. Speaking of which, I see that you have a colors setting (presumably to switch to an Apple type monochrome setting in green or a Tandy amber perhaps) , though chose to display only B/W photos in your listing. How many monochrome presets does it have?

A Horse of Another Color Regards,
John
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

I guess The Mad Master Modder is just mailing in his modifications these days

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chess-computer ... Swt6RahXfQ

Naked Motherboard Only Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

After a long Hiatus...The Mad Master Modder strikes again with another V11 knock-off
this time in a gutted Elite A/S board

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chess-Computer ... SwwBNayN5G

Bidding Is Frantic Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dont see too many Mint Atlanta's these days....complete set

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Elegant-jeu-de ... SwEA9a62wI

Seller is a newbie with NO completed transactions

Proceed With Caution Regards
Steve
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Steve B wrote:
Seller is a newbie with NO completed transactions

Proceed With Caution Regards
Steve
Yes photos from various sources including two of mine.
Just which Atlanta would you get?
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Hi Mike

Are yours photos 1 & 4 ?

I seem to recognise that pine table 😄

Regards
Bryan
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

are we talking about furniture in this forum.... :wink: ??

Carpenter Regards, Michael