Collector's corner : Fidelity displays

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Alain

Collector's corner : Fidelity displays

Post by Alain »

Hello,

I received today my Excel Display :D and I had a small surprise : it does not seem to be able to use it to display moves, only time (and may be depth ? I did not read the manual yet).

I had the same kind of surprise a few weeks ago when I received my CC6 : it has only an "half-display", i.e. it can only display the coordinates of ONE square, this is something I did not notice on pictures.

One question (for Steve I suppose :wink: ). Does the Excel Display have the Excellence or the Par Excellence program ? I think this is the Excellence "only"... but I suppose that it have been released AFTER the Par Excellence as it has the same housing than the next models (Mach series) ?

thanks,
Still a few Excel to get regards,

Alain
mclane

Post by mclane »

???

the excel display gives the normal info on screen in rolling mode.

as far as i remember one could overclock it very good.

the motherboard looked like a triangle.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Alain

Post by Alain »

mclane wrote:the excel display gives the normal info on screen in rolling mode.
in "default" mode, i.e. without any special configuration, the display seems only used to display time. I must admit that I did not check the options to see if there is something about displaying coordinates but the few drawings in the manual never show such coordinates.
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Collector's corner : Fidelity displays

Post by Steve B »

Alain wrote:Does the Excel Display have the Excellence or the Par Excellence program ?
hi Alain
it is the Excellence program
same is true for the Voice Excellence...Excellence program

the Excel Display is not so easy to find

Excellent Acquisition Regards
Steve
Alain

Post by Alain »

Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote:hi Alain
as you mention the Excellence Voice : I have seen in the manual that it has a switch to change the spoken language between English, German, French and Spanish. Is it the only Fidelity computer with several languages included ?

Polyglot regards,
Alain
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Alain wrote:Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote:hi Alain
as you mention the Excellence Voice : I have seen in the manual that it has a switch to change the spoken language between English, German, French and Spanish. Is it the only Fidelity computer with several languages included ?

Polyglot regards,
Alain
hi Alain

now that you mention it ...yes
the Excel Voice is the only Fidelity where the user can change the different languages ..altough this has never occured to me before

Excel Question Regards(Pun Intended)
Steve
Alain

Post by Alain »

Hi Steve,

thanks for your answers.
Steve B wrote:it is the Excellence program
At least an Excel against I have a chance to win !
the Excel Voice is the only Fidelity where the user can change the different languages ..altough this has never occured to me before
Great !

Sometimes, I wonder if Fidelity knew that there would be "collectors" : after having released the Excellence, they could have improved it... but they added three different features/improvements not in a "Voice Display Par Excellence" but in three different machines, just as if they knews we would want all of them :?

Time to sleep regards,
Alain
Larry

Post by Larry »

"I had the same kind of surprise a few weeks ago when I received my CC6 : it has only an "half-display", i.e. it can only display the coordinates of ONE square, this is something I did not notice on pictures"

On the CC6 only the 'from' square is indicated at first. Then when you
press the 'from' square, the 'to' square should display.

regards
Larry
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:"I had the same kind of surprise a few weeks ago when I received my CC6 : it has only an "half-display", i.e. it can only display the coordinates of ONE square, this is something I did not notice on pictures"

regards
Larry
as the CC6 has no other way to indicate its moves except for the display(there are no LEDS) i assume Alain knows already that the computer displays the from and to moves or else he could not play a game so easily
:P

i guess he meant it does not show the from /to moves all at one time

RE-
GARDS
Steve
Alain

Post by Alain »

Hi,
Steve B wrote:
Larry wrote:"I had the same kind of surprise a few weeks ago when I received my CC6 : it has only an "half-display", i.e. it can only display the coordinates of ONE square, this is something I did not notice on pictures"

regards
Larry
as the CC6 has no other way to indicate its moves except for the display(there are no LEDS) i assume Alain knows already that the computer displays the from and to moves or else he could not play a game so easily
Of course Steve is right and I discovered from the first move that the SC6 displays the "to"square once you have pressed on the "from" square :)

My point was : I had seen many SC6 for sale on ebay before buying mine and I had never thought that its display could be different from the ones of other computers (in this case, "cheap" is the right word as it looks like Fidelity wanted to spare a few dollars).
And for the Excel display it is the same : the computer looks like my Mach III and therefore I thought that it would use its display to announce moves and not only the time spent thinking.

Clarifying regards,
Alain
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Alain wrote:
And for the Excel display it is the same : the computer looks like my Mach III and therefore I thought that it would use its display to announce moves and not only the time spent thinking.
And of course Alain ...
when you Activate Square F1(after first pressing the options key) the display will also indicate the search depth and current position evaluation

But Still No Move Display Regards
Steve
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Alain,

Sorry that i am out of this topic but one question:
Have you ever develope a drive to play with palm Hiarcs through citrine?

best
Ricardo
Alain

Post by Alain »

Hi Ricardo,
ricard60 wrote:Alain,
Sorry that i am out of this topic but one question:
Have you ever develope a drive to play with palm Hiarcs through citrine?
no, I haven't... I don't develop for Palm devices, and I also don't find that the Citrine is not very practical to use as a simple chessboard : it does not understand that a move received from the serial link must also be played on the board and it displays an error when you re-play this move. There are manipulations which can clear this error and continue the game but this is spoils the pleasure of the game (and in addition, the Citrine plays very well by itself and does not need to be connected to a computer :wink: )

Best regards,
Alain
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Thanks Alain for your answer,
Just trying to make citrine stronger and to play more comfortable with palm Hiarcs when i go for games that will take more than half an hour in my palm.

Best Regards
Ricardo