Selective Search Issue 132 Arrives

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Alain

Post by Alain »

Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote:a MUST read for all those interested in Rybka's vaules for pawns and pieces
what is the approximate part of this Selective Search issue related to Dedicated Machine ?
(and even if you own a Resurrection module with Rybka, please don't count Rybka related articles :wink: except if they explicitely talk about the Res modules)

just curious regards,
Alain
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Alain wrote:Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote:a MUST read for all those interested in Rybka's vaules for pawns and pieces
what is the approximate part of this Selective Search issue related to Dedicated Machine ?
(and even if you own a Resurrection module with Rybka, please don't count Rybka related articles :wink: except if they explicitely talk about the Res modules)

just curious regards,
Alain
hi Alain
of issue 132..very few pages are devoted to the old computers
:(
more coverage of the Gebroikers tournament and the rating lists and an ad for the Excalibur Phantom Force and another search ad from an American collector looking for some old chess computers

all in all perhaps 15% of the issue

last months issue though was over 50% coverage with something like 20 pages devoted just to dedicated computers

personally i wish there was more coverage of course

Best Regards
Steve
mackgra

Post by mackgra »

Hi Steve,

Glad you found the article interesting. It was a surprise for me to see the article included and so I never sent Eric a photo of myself when I e-mailed him. It was never my intention to be included in the mag, but i'm pleased my article did!

Something else I found out at the same time as working out the value for the Rook is the value of the Knight.

The Knights value can also vary according to the amount of pawns for the side with the Knight. Its score is increased by 1/16th for each pawn above five with the opposite for each pawn less than five. Larry Kaufman says the Knight is worth 3.25 units, which is the same as the bishop.

Additionally and probably more interesting is the fact that the value of the knight is affected by the presence of the heavy pieces such the Rook and Queen.....................

Its value is increased 5-10% after a trade of rooks but decreased 3-5% after a trade of Queens.

Regards

Graham
oddius
Nutter

Post by oddius »

Harvey,

It's going to take me years of therapy to overcome the shock of that picture.

Surely a fake please tell me it is so :?
All hail The Paleman.