No book with Zappa

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
wayne lowrance

No book with Zappa

Post by wayne lowrance »

Hello all, seems like this topic has been discussed but at the time I did not have zappa and so did not pay any attention. Now I have purchased zappa and can, as far as I know zap has no book, someone can help me please
Thank you
\Wayne
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

If you use the engine under Fritz, try TourBookII.ctg with learning ON, it seems to fit Zappa well:

http://www.superchessengine.com/Takker.rar
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

Agreed (of course, since I think I was the first to discover this, and there might still be better books out there for Zappa); however, make sure to update the book with missing lines when you find them--the book is kind of out-of-date, and I don't know what it is about it that fits Zappa's personality, but it does, in spite of losing some games against Rybka's superior book. Also, one shouldn't be too aggressive with the book learning--it works best when the two engines are of equal strength; I definitely wouldn't recommend it when playing Zappa Mexico against The King or Crafty or something, as then all lines, both good and bad, would seem good; similarly, I wouldn't recommend it in blitz games (or even rapid games) against Rybka, as then all lines will seem bad.
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Did you test all the books you could on Zappa before concluding TourBookII was the best?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Hi,
No book that ever comes with an engine is the best. In the end it is down to the operator to make his own or modify a book he\she either gets with the engine or downloads from elsewhere.

Personally doing the book myself helps my OTB opening play

Regards
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

Dylan Sharp wrote:Did you test all the books you could on Zappa before concluding TourBookII was the best?
No, though I have tested with Junior9.ctg (an improved version) and Shredder8.ctg, and those don't work too well for it--they just seemed "awkward", so I stopped such matches after only a few games.

An important one to try that I have not yet tried is sheebar.ctg (as well as the "blitz" version of that book, which I would guess is not as good).
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Indeed, Sheerbar has the best result so far on Sedat Canbaz's Opening Book Tournament (Though not against RybkaII.ctg )

Rank Engine Score Opening Book
--------------------------------------------------------
1: Rybka 2.3.2a x64 t2 58.0 / 100 HS_for_Rybka.ctg
2: Zappa Mexico x64 t2 42.0 / 100 Sheerbar.ctg
--------------------------------------------------------
100 games: +24 =54 -22