is Hydra Invincible ?..

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
DarkSide

Post by DarkSide »

:D hoooo friend surely your you could lose your money in such a bet, the Hydra lizard could even beat to Rybka 2.3.2a 1 CPU (of course with of course with an aggressive book and reasonable time), after seeing the weak that Rybka can be in certain positions .I assure you that Hydra could devastate the weaknesses of the small fish :wink: hydra had few games, but no important weaknesses were seen on him not so in Rybka, in a serius match Rybka lose, a serius match is very diferent from a test with generic book and 40/40 , no a serius match include team+engine+ a specific book + hardware , Hydra team have more experience, and have a good GM (Lutz), engine, Rybka has a very selective way to serch very deep, it knows where to look for, but has a weak ..she is not good a tactical one, Hydra is a beast tactic , along with this you have 200,000,000 chess positions per second tuned for such wekness and it is always looking for to king side attacks, a single error is fatal and it does not matter if Rybka or Zappa committed it ,a single error and good bye you are lost. So if some day this match occurs I will have much I please in betting you my money 8)
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

Hydra has lost games, so it has weaknesses. It has lost many of them to Shredder 9 and Deep Fritz 8 when it was playing on Playchess years ago. Of course, it won far many more. There have been many ways of measuring Hydra's strength--against human players, against computers in high-level matches, and against opponents on Playchess. ALL of these have invariably put its elo at around 3050. I think that with a good book (i.e. Jeroen's book) on a fast single-processor computer, especially one of those nowadays that can be overclocked (say, use one core of a QX 6850 overclocked to 5 GHz), you can be pretty confident that Rybka 2.3.2a is around that level, based on extrapolations from the SSDF rating list, which is calibrated to FIDE elo scale.
DarkSide

Post by DarkSide »

Yes it lost games, but first: who know wich version were play on playchess?, I mean if it was Hydra Chimera ( i think it was the version in 2004) or it was the baby hydra called lizard, and second Hydra played some questionable openings, if I don´t remember bad it was like 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3. f3, at least it was against shredder. And if you play in comp chess you can't play things like this and hope no lose some games :wink:
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

No, normal openings were played on Playchess, and Hydra simply lost, fair and simple. It was Hydra Scylla. One possible explanation is that the games were with time controls on the order of 16 minutes per game, and supposedly not all of the cores are used completely per move. Nonetheless, we know based on a pretty decent number of matches that Hydra was consistently rated around 3050, even the version Hydra Scylla--and this is more like the type of rating that should be scaled to the computer lists. Rybka is definitely beyond this (in fact, Rybka would be beyond this on the computer lists just with 1 CPU on 64-bit software on a QX 6850 overclocked to around 5 GHz), and the same is true of Zappa Mexico. Even Naum and Hiarcs on hardware that is overclocked enough might be beyond this.