Hiarcs for android?

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

tomgdrums

Hiarcs for android?

Post by tomgdrums »

I have finally entered the smart phone world and will be getting a droid incredible this week. I know that you intimated that Hiarcs will eventually be on the droid platform. Is that still in the works? I am not asking for a timeline, just that it is indeed in the works.

I will obviously buy it when that happens. As of now the only good android apps for chess that I see are Shredder and Chess Genius.

Thanks!
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Hiarcs for android?

Post by Harvey Williamson »

tomgdrums wrote:I have finally entered the smart phone world and will be getting a droid incredible this week. I know that you intimated that Hiarcs will eventually be on the droid platform. Is that still in the works? I am not asking for a timeline, just that it is indeed in the works.

I will obviously buy it when that happens. As of now the only good android apps for chess that I see are Shredder and Chess Genius.

Thanks!
Yes it is still in the works!
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:I have finally entered the smart phone world and will be getting a droid incredible this week. I know that you intimated that Hiarcs will eventually be on the droid platform. Is that still in the works? I am not asking for a timeline, just that it is indeed in the works.

Thanks!
That is great news!
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

I'm also interested in this. My Droid phone will arrive tomorrow.
Jim
:D
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

I've had my Droid phone for a week now and I must be honest, I love the Hiarcs engine but price will determine if I purchase it or not. The DroidFish (free) is very strong but lacks features and Shredder for Droid (Less than 10$) is not quite as strong but has some nice features. Both programs could be improved. Maybe Hiarcs will be the answer?
Jim
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Jim Walker wrote:I've had my Droid phone for a week now and I must be honest, I love the Hiarcs engine but price will determine if I purchase it or not. The DroidFish (free) is very strong but lacks features and Shredder for Droid (Less than 10$) is not quite as strong but has some nice features. Both programs could be improved. Maybe Hiarcs will be the answer?
Jim
I am on my fourth week with my Droid Incredible and am very much looking forward to the Hiarcs chess app. (and am willing to be patient for it)

I agree that Droidfish is strong but is not too much fun to play because there are no features and I am not really going to analyze on a phone at this point.

Chess Genius is good. For some reason it isn't as fun as Shredder chess.

I think right now that Shredder chess is hands down the best chess app on droid. It has puzzles, limit strength, auto adjust strength, and it looks good. It is plenty strong enough for me to play against. :)

If Droidfish ever got limit strength it would be a great program.

I think when all is said and done I will hang with Shredder and Hiarcs (when it comes out) for my Droid.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

It would be good if it offered online play at the popular chess servers like FICS or ICC.There are not many good apps yet on Android that do this.The ones that do don't have good analysis engines or the ability to to go over the game you just won or lost to see where you could of played better.I have tried Mobialia Chess and it seems the best of the bunch, but like I said there is no simple way to go over a game you just played.
LaurenceChen

Post by LaurenceChen »

Harvey Williamson wrote:

Thanks!
Harvey, do you have an estimate date for the Android release of Hiarcs?
Would love to see Hiarcs engine for Android...
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

LaurenceChen wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Thanks!
Harvey, do you have an estimate date for the Android release of Hiarcs?
Would love to see Hiarcs engine for Android...
Sorry not at the moment.
zamana

I can't believe that Hiarcs for Android is not ready yet!

Post by zamana »

I can't believe that Hiarcs for Android is not ready yet!

What are you doing? Porting Hiarcs to WinPhone7? Pfu...
Bouddha

Post by Bouddha »

Hi Harvey,

any news on progress made for the Droid platform ?

I was enjoying Hiarcs on iPhone but decided 2 weeks ago to move on Droid and thus aquiered a Samsung Galaxy S2.

Now I am missing Hiarcs on that platform.

By the way, since more and more smartphones like my Samsung Galaxy S2 have 2 cores, do you know if Hiarcs will one day use both of them ?

If the latest version of Hiarcs (13.3?) is released for android and can use the 2 cores, that will be an incredible monster !

regards
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

The project is significantly delayed due to other projects and commitments. Based on past experience with Hiarcs versions on ARM CPUs it will be very very strong.

The is no reason in principle why I cannot support multiple cores on these devices, although as Hiarcs is already probably the strongest program on ARM based devices I am not sure how important it really is when compared with some other features.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Bouddha

Post by Bouddha »

Thanks for your answer.

Any rough estimation when a release for Android could happen ?

In regards of "features", One thing I is strongly missing on iPhone & Andoid chess apps is the capability to create subvariation when analysing a game.

The Droidfish GUI can create subvariation but you can not navigate trough them...... so not usfull.....

Keep on the good work done on handled Hiarcs which is I agree the strongest available on iPhone & PPC.

regards
fliegenfred

Post by fliegenfred »

Hi Bouddha,
Bouddha wrote:Thanks for your answer.
Any rough estimation when a release for Android could happen ?
regards
To be honest: I don't have any hope, that we will get Hiarcs on android. :cry: It took too long time. I think Mark is working on other projects. The day only have 24 hours and sometime you have to make decisions...
Bouddha wrote:Thanks for your answer.
The Droidfish GUI can create subvariation but you can not navigate trough them...... so not usfull.....
regards

Sorry, but this is not true: Go trough your game, until you come to the start of variation. Go into the variation. Now you see in buttom line all (first) possible variation moves. Actual variation is highlighted. Now you can wipe up and down over the board to select variation.

Sorry for my bad explanation, hope you can work with. :wink:

Best regards,
Fred.
(a former Hiarcs-user on Palm centro and Palm Tungsten T5)
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

It is true that unfortunately other projects have had to take precendence for the time being. I know this means the Android version has been significantly delayed, I am sorry about that but unfortunately I just dont have enough time to cover all the items as quickly as I would like.

Having said that I am determined to finish the Android version however, it will take quite some time and I am not working on it at least until after November.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com