Adding Moves to Libraries

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

parkhopper

Adding Moves to Libraries

Post by parkhopper »

I love Hiarcs 11.1 and the new interface!
But ever since installing them, I can no longer add moves to my personal libraries. It is a complete mystery, and it is NOT a file permissions problem. Any help or suggestions would be welcome.
Jack Clark

Adding moves to library

Post by Jack Clark »

Hi :)

You didn't say whether you only had trouble saving moves to your libraries, or whether, for some reason, you couldn't even enter them.

Assuming that saving the moves is your problem, I can offer this:

(Please don't be insulted by this; I wouldn't suggest it if I hadn't had this happen to me already. I'm running HIARCS 11.1 MP on MacBook, using Sigma Chess 6.1.4 GUI, so that could make a difference, too.)

I hadn't used the library feature in months, and only a few times before that. When I finally got back into it, I plumb forgot that I had to use the Save feature under Library--not the one you normally use to save a game to a database (collection). So, of course, nothing I entered in my libraries was saved. A dope-slap latter I remembered the separate Save feature in Library.

If this isn't your problem, I apologize in advance for suggesting this. -Jack
parkhopper

Post by parkhopper »

Unfortunately it's more insidious than that.
When I make a move in Edit Library mode with one of my personal libraries loaded (or not), and then go back one move, the move I entered is not there. The Library/Save menu option is grayed out, indicating there has been no change in the library.
Jack Clark

Post by Jack Clark »

Hi, parkhopper=

(Idea 1) Well, by playing around with settings I was able to make my Library Editor behave exactly as you say--even when I closed Sigma Chess HIARCS and reopened it again. But I kinda doubt that you made those settings. I'll tell you what I did, anyway, in case there's a spark there that'll trigger some idea in you: In the Library tool bar, I first set Automatic Classification (second icon (gears icon)) to Inherit Previous Classification. Then I set Manual Classification (first icon (= icon)) to Unclassified (Not in Library). Then I clicked on Delete Variations (fourth icon (trash can icon)) and it asked me if I was sure I wanted to do that. I clicked No, and exited Delete Variations. But, for some reason, that grayed out the Save feature under library. Now everything behaved exactly as you said, even if I closed Sigma Chess, reopened it again, and once again reselected that same library.

But this requires that you don't notice that Manual Classification is set to Unclassified, which displays a big red X at you. And it's very easy to undo; you just go into Manual Classification and change it to the default position. I think it's unlikely that you have these settings set this way, so I doubt this is your problem.

(Idea 2) The only other suggestion I have you've probably already tried. Namely, save all your libraries to an out-of-the way file folder, and use the old reliable remedy: Reinstall the whole program. I did have to do this once myself, early on with the HIARCS 10 version when I first installed it. For some reason, it was playing the goofiest moves imaginable. (It even captured some of its own pieces.) I spoke with Mark about it, and he suggested a reinstall, and I never had a problem after that. Just some strange corruption when I first installed it, I guess.

Best of luck with this problem. -Jack
Jack Clark
Idyllwild, California
parkhopper

Post by parkhopper »

Well I think I fixed it. I looked under ~/Library/Preferences and found four (count 'em!) Sigma Chess preference files, for versions 6, 6.1, 6.1.3, and 6.1.4. I moved them to the Trash, reopened Sigma Chess, then moved them back to Preferences and restarted the program again. I had to re-enter some license info, but now everything's back to normal, AND I can enter moves into libraries again! This probably shouldn't have worked, but it is a standard technique for fixing minor quirks in Mac apps. I should have thought of it earlier.