Shredder for Android available now!

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

jfrendek

Shredder for Android available now!

Post by jfrendek »

Shredder is available in the Android Market for about $7. I have purchased it and it truly seems to be magnificent. It has the professional feel and features of a mature product on a solid platform. It claims to play has high as 2800 ELO. I have not played it against a strong program to verify this and I am certainly not good enough to challenge it directly. It probably needs a super processor to rate near 2800 and I only have a first generation Motorola Droid. I would love to hear what our more astute patrons think of it. I certainly hope HIARCS will produce a quality Android program soon. The way I see it the Iphone is today but Android is tomorrow and it is not possible to look further ahead in the technology world yet. It makes me wonder how good the next release will be after seeing how polished the initial release already is. I personally feel that Palm (new or old) is as good as dead because it was a case of too little too late like Windows Mobile.

-Jim
Chess is life!
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

From the screen shots it looks very similar to the iphone version, do you know if there is option to set time control levels such as 5 min blitz or 2 min + 12 secs or any other popular time control.The iphone version is missing this standard feature so making test games against other PDA chess apps is hopeless.
jfrendek

Timing options

Post by jfrendek »

Time per game and increment per move is the only options I see. However, like all android apps you can cancel the purchase within 24 hours if you do not want the product. I am not affiliated with Shredder or the programmer so I just want to make it known I am not advertising for anyone I am just an enthusiast.

-Jim
Chess is life!
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

The time options are quite restrictive which is a shame, also it doesn't appear to show nodes/sec which whilst not important in itself is interesting and allows the comparison of different hardware platforms.

I prefer the Genius style of finger input on the board though, given the destination square your finger is over really helps. On shredder I've misplaced a few pieces in early testing but this might get better with more time.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Does it have intelligent move completion.Like PocketFritz and PocketGM that just a single tap on the destination square is enough if only 1 piece can go there.And if 2 or more can go there,then just a tap on the piece will complete the move.Also how do people find using the capacitive screens compared to sylus.On the ipod touch 3.5 inch screen I found it a bit cumbersome to register the moves in a smart manner, but now there are 4 inch screens does that make much of a difference?
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Hi Cubeman,

It does have intelligent input just as you described, I've now switched this on as it's so much better than drag and drop I can't believe I didn't try it before.

The 3.7" capacitive screen on the HTC Desire is perfect IMHO, when I got the phone I also picked up the HTC stylus for it and I've haven't used it yet after some months so I think that speaks volumes and I don't have the smallest fingers in the world!

I should say that Shredder does show search depth with it's analysis.

Cheers

Paul
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Thanks for your reply, sounds like the Android port is better than the iphone port.The next thing I would be interested in is if there are any good chess online apps that allow connection to FICS or ICC.