Collectors Corner - Berlin Pro with London Update

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Wardy

Collectors Corner - Berlin Pro with London Update

Post by Wardy »

Hi All,

I've just noticed a Berlin Pro with the London update on ebay, does anyone know if this equates to the same as the London Pro 68020 as listed by Eric in Selective Search @ 2277elo?

Thanks for any help!

Paul
Jaimes Conda

Re: Collectors Corner - Berlin Pro with London Update

Post by Jaimes Conda »

Wardy wrote:Hi All,

I've just noticed a Berlin Pro with the London update on ebay, does anyone know if this equates to the same as the London Pro 68020 as listed by Eric in Selective Search @ 2277elo?

Thanks for any help!

Paul
Hello Wardy,
I copied this approx two years ago during an Ebay enchére.

You are bidding on the strongest laptop style chess computer Mephisto ever produced. In fact only the Tasc R30 and the Wooden modular London 68030 are stronger (not by much). In fact I could not get a positive result against it even with a Genius 68030!
This Computer retailed at £685 when it first came out (in 1995) and then dropped to £649 before the last ones were sold. It is only fair to say that these units were cheaper abroad (as usual).
The computer is basically a Mephisto Berlin Pro with an upgraded EEPROM. A short history of the company follows!
The Mephisto Company brought out the 68020 Berlin Pro to replace the ageing 16 bit 68000 Berlin. The Berlin had Richard Langs Genius 1 program that had also been used in the Vancouver 68000,68020 and 68030. One small difference was that the Berlin had a small tweak made in the program to counter the Vancouvers willingness to sacrifice its rook for a bishop. This made the Berlin a couple of ELO stronger than the Vancouver running on the same hardware (16bit 68000 at 12MHz with 512KB RAM)
Mephisto then launched the Berlin Pro which ran on much faster hardware (32 bit 68020 at 24.5MHz with 1MB of RAM) they also they changed the program and added the stronger Genius 2 program which is also used in the 68030 Genius modules for the wooden boards. They also gave it an even bigger opening book going from 150,000 ply on the Berlin to 180,000 ply with the Pro.
Saitek then announced it was going to take over Hegener & Glaser Company, which makes the Mephisto brand. Mephisto then made one last change to the Berlin Pro before being taken over. They didn’t have time to change the whole machine so they produced an EPROM with the Genius 3 program on it. This program beat Garry Kasparov in the London Intel Rapid Play at game in 25mins. The Genius program was only running on a mere P90! So thus the "London" was born.
The Berlin EPROM was then removed and the London EPROM inserted. The London also came with the Genius 4 Book, which was based on the special book that was running on the Genius 3, which beat Garry!
Owners of Mephisto Berlins, Berlin Pro and any Richard Lang programs could upgrade the machines by replacing the existing Program chip (EPROM) with the London. This upgrade cost around £100 here.
I have included a picture of the London EPROM (Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) which was made for the Berlin Pro.
ELO Source Selective Search Issue 118 Jun/July 2005-07-14
Berlin 68000 2126
Vancouver 6800 2118
Berlin Pro 2246
London Pro 2276
Atlanta 2221
So only 30ELO difference but it feels like a lot more!
Below is a brief description of some of the many functions of this computer. If the text sounds familiar it is because I have used the same text to sell my Mephisto Genius/London
As with all the Richard Lang Modules the London programme doesn’t disappoint with the wealth of features that come with it. In fact I know of no other dedicated chess computer which offers more. Almost every aspect of it can be tinkered with from setting any time control to adjusting the value given to pieces. Even the opening book has multiple settings of Normal, Human, Gambit, Classic, Modern and Blitz. Adding Random, Tournament, Blitz and User can further enhance these. For example you can set the opening book to play Tournament Gambit. This would select its strongest lines in Gambit only openings. Or you can just set it to play Random Normal, which will select a move from its vast 180,000-ply book. It also has a user programmable book allowing you to enter in a 1000 half moves to create your own opening book which the computer will keep and add to its own book!
The London Pro will also let you store up to 50 games in its permanent memory.
The London Pro is said to have the strongest endgame of any dedicated machine as it has a special pawn structure database which can be turned on or off. You can even increase it search speed by allowing it to look at less lines on each ply of move.
Technical Data For the London Pro is as follows:
Microprocessor: 68020
Clock speed: 24.567MHz
Program Memory: 256KB ROM
Working Memory: 1024KB RAM (Hash tables)
Permanent Memory: Stores about 50 games (even when unit is switched off)
Opening Book: 180,000 Ply (a lot!)
Condition:
This computer is in perfect working order however due to the use of only 8 buttons to access the almost limitless functions some of the gold paint has faded slightly (see pictures).
Adaptor:
I have a normal 3 pin English adapter that works fine with this machine or the Mephisto approved adapter HGN 5004A which is two pin adapter and needs a 2 pin to three pin adapter to use in this country. I can supply either adapter including a 2 pin to three-pin conversion adapter if you so wish.
Manual:
Unfortunately I only have a photocopy of the original manual supplied with the Berlin Pro.
Pieces:
I have the original Black and White pieces but no Silver ones.
Laptop lid:
The Laptop lid comes with the travelling Disc pieces and Mephisto Score sheets.
P&P
UK £10.00
Germany/Holland/France : £20.00
USA: £40.00

It is long but I hope it helps.........Jaimes
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Wow Jaimes!! :shock: I think you covered everything!!!

Think I may just keep a close eye on that one......... :wink:
Larry

Post by Larry »

Wardy wrote:Wow Jaimes!! :shock: I think you covered everything!!!

Think I may just keep a close eye on that one......... :wink:
Hi, Wardy,
You've got an Atlanta and am interested in the London Pro. For me it's
the other way around. I've got a London Pro and am looking for an
Atlanta. We will both end up with both machines, we just need to be
patient.
It seems there were quite a few more Atlanta's sold new than there were
London Pro's, at least going by ebay sales history:
http://www.elpeon.com/index.php?mod=10|5
This is reflected in their relative prices. It's to be expected, since playing
strength has a big influence on price with these sort of dedicated's. I'm
biding my time looking for an Atlanta, I passed over the last one a couple
of weeks ago because it had no dust cover.
I got my London Pro in mint condition, complete, with the original
silver pieces still in their sealed bags. I use non-original pieces to play
with it. Quite a treasure, really.
I wish you all the best in bidding for the current one on ebay.
regards
Larry
Jose

Post by Jose »

When did you copy this link from my page? This structur of my menü is old and do not excist anymore. Please refrsh your browser or delete your old tmp files...

Best José

Correct link is:

http://www.elpeon.com/index.php?page=2&mod=mephisto
Larry

Post by Larry »

"When did you copy this link from my page?"

About a year or more ago. I've just updated it.
It's a great and valuable link.
thanks and all the best
Larry
Clive

Post by Clive »

Jaimes Conda wrote:
Wardy wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for any help!

Paul
Hello Wardy,
I copied this approx two years ago during an Ebay enchére.

You are bidding on the strongest laptop style chess computer Mephisto ever produced. In fact only the Tasc R30 and the Wooden modular London 68030 are stronger (not by much). In fact I could not get a positive result against it even with a Genius 68030!
This Computer retailed at £685 when it first came out (in 1995) and then dropped to £649 before the last ones were sold. It is only fair to say that these units were cheaper abroad (as usual).
The computer is basically a Mephisto Berlin Pro with an upgraded EEPROM. A short history of the company follows!
The Mephisto Company brought out the 68020 Berlin Pro to replace the ageing 16 bit 68000 Berlin. The Berlin had Richard Langs Genius 1 program that had also been used in the Vancouver 68000,68020 and 68030. One small difference was that the Berlin had a small tweak made in the program to counter the Vancouvers willingness to sacrifice its rook for a bishop. This made the Berlin a couple of ELO stronger than the Vancouver running on the same hardware (16bit 68000 at 12MHz with 512KB RAM)
Mephisto then launched the Berlin Pro which ran on much faster hardware (32 bit 68020 at 24.5MHz with 1MB of RAM) they also they changed the program and added the stronger Genius 2 program which is also used in the 68030 Genius modules for the wooden boards. They also gave it an even bigger opening book going from 150,000 ply on the Berlin to 180,000 ply with the Pro.
Saitek then announced it was going to take over Hegener & Glaser Company, which makes the Mephisto brand. Mephisto then made one last change to the Berlin Pro before being taken over. They didn’t have time to change the whole machine so they produced an EPROM with the Genius 3 program on it. This program beat Garry Kasparov in the London Intel Rapid Play at game in 25mins. The Genius program was only running on a mere P90! So thus the "London" was born.
The Berlin EPROM was then removed and the London EPROM inserted. The London also came with the Genius 4 Book, which was based on the special book that was running on the Genius 3, which beat Garry!
Owners of Mephisto Berlins, Berlin Pro and any Richard Lang programs could upgrade the machines by replacing the existing Program chip (EPROM) with the London. This upgrade cost around £100 here.
I have included a picture of the London EPROM (Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) which was made for the Berlin Pro.
ELO Source Selective Search Issue 118 Jun/July 2005-07-14
Berlin 68000 2126
Vancouver 6800 2118
Berlin Pro 2246
London Pro 2276
Atlanta 2221
So only 30ELO difference but it feels like a lot more!
Below is a brief description of some of the many functions of this computer. If the text sounds familiar it is because I have used the same text to sell my Mephisto Genius/London
As with all the Richard Lang Modules the London programme doesn’t disappoint with the wealth of features that come with it. In fact I know of no other dedicated chess computer which offers more. Almost every aspect of it can be tinkered with from setting any time control to adjusting the value given to pieces. Even the opening book has multiple settings of Normal, Human, Gambit, Classic, Modern and Blitz. Adding Random, Tournament, Blitz and User can further enhance these. For example you can set the opening book to play Tournament Gambit. This would select its strongest lines in Gambit only openings. Or you can just set it to play Random Normal, which will select a move from its vast 180,000-ply book. It also has a user programmable book allowing you to enter in a 1000 half moves to create your own opening book which the computer will keep and add to its own book!
The London Pro will also let you store up to 50 games in its permanent memory.
The London Pro is said to have the strongest endgame of any dedicated machine as it has a special pawn structure database which can be turned on or off. You can even increase it search speed by allowing it to look at less lines on each ply of move.
Technical Data For the London Pro is as follows:
Microprocessor: 68020
Clock speed: 24.567MHz
Program Memory: 256KB ROM
Working Memory: 1024KB RAM (Hash tables)
Permanent Memory: Stores about 50 games (even when unit is switched off)
Opening Book: 180,000 Ply (a lot!)
Condition:
This computer is in perfect working order however due to the use of only 8 buttons to access the almost limitless functions some of the gold paint has faded slightly (see pictures).
Adaptor:
I have a normal 3 pin English adapter that works fine with this machine or the Mephisto approved adapter HGN 5004A which is two pin adapter and needs a 2 pin to three pin adapter to use in this country. I can supply either adapter including a 2 pin to three-pin conversion adapter if you so wish.
Manual:
Unfortunately I only have a photocopy of the original manual supplied with the Berlin Pro.
Pieces:
I have the original Black and White pieces but no Silver ones.
Laptop lid:
The Laptop lid comes with the travelling Disc pieces and Mephisto Score sheets.
P&P
UK £10.00
Germany/Holland/France : £20.00
USA: £40.00

It is long but I hope it helps.........Jaimes

MMM this looks familar

Copyright regards

Clive
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Clive wrote:,

MMM this looks familar

Copyright regards

Clive
you always did write the best Ebay auction Descriptions Clive

to this day..your Ebay auction description for the Tasc R30 (with metal designer carrycase) ..is legendary ..and required reading in all of the finer dedicated chess computer schools and institutions

Collecting 101 regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Thx Steve a real compliment from an expert such as yourself!

I didn’t realise my auction description are saved by people (other than scammers!)

Modest regards

Clive
Jaimes Conda

Post by Jaimes Conda »

Clive wrote:Thx Steve a real compliment from an expert such as yourself!

I didn’t realise my auction description are saved by people (other than scammers!)

Modest regards

Clive
Clive,
Hello. I did not know it was you who had written the very interesting description of the Berlin London Pro. Your ''article'' was detailed and contained a wealth of information so I copied it.

I hope you do not mined that I posted your write-up of the computer on this forum. I did qualify it by saying that I had copied from ebay.

Regards: Jaimes
Clive

Post by Clive »

No problem Jaimes, I am flattered that you used it!

Best regards

Clive