Black Beast...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Black Beast...

Post by Fernando »

Who does not have a black beast, a program or dedicated unit that no matter how weak is compared with others for one reason or another, perhaps a matter of style, perhaps because we never play them with the due concentration , once and again beat us unrelentingly?

I am not talking of course of recognized superior engines than us. No novelty if we are killed by a 2400 + chess brain. I am specially talking of old, weak -or supposedly so- computers, sometimes real antiques.

I have some of them and one is the worst. I almost feel shame to tell you this: I have huge difficulties to beat DeLuxe talking Touch Chess by Excalibur, a hand held unit developed by Ron nelson which is rated in the most optimistic sites as a 1750 machine. And nevertheless there is something in his game that put me all the time in difficulties.
BTW, is an excellent product. Well done, practical, many features. In every sense I consider the best hand held unit ever produced....

Just one problem: I cannot dominate it...

Just soundly beaten by this animal regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Black Beast...

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote: I have huge difficulties to beat DeLuxe talking Touch Chess by Excalibur, a hand held unit developed by Ron nelson which is rated in the most optimistic sites as a 1750 machine. And nevertheless there is something in his game that put me all the time in difficulties.
simple solution i have come to discover against computers i cannot defeat

have the offending computer play a few games as white and black against a far more powerful computer,,Pc engines work great here
right down the moves
after you have recorded a handful of defeats
play the computer making the same moves as the Engines
Deluxe does not ponder and will repeat moves

Rinse And Repeat Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Black Beast...

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote: I have huge difficulties to beat DeLuxe talking Touch Chess by Excalibur, a hand held unit developed by Ron nelson which is rated in the most optimistic sites as a 1750 machine. And nevertheless there is something in his game that put me all the time in difficulties.
simple solution i have come to discover against computers i cannot defeat

have the offending computer play a few games as white and black against a far more powerful computer,,Pc engines work great here
right down the moves
after you have recorded a handful of defeats
play the computer making the same moves as the Engines
Deluxe does not ponder and will repeat moves

Rinse And Repeat Regards
Steve

¡Great Idea!

The other option is the one I used with the ASUS tablet, so....

Preparing the hammer regards
Fern
Festina Lente
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

@Fernando,

You dont want to be a "robot" repeating a sequence of moves you dont even understand.

A better way is to record all your games and understand why you won / lost. You can use any other PC program for doing your analysis.

Most players (Chess, Othello, ...) do get that analysing their lost games is important but most of them miss the fact that ... analysing the wins is also super important ... sometimes even more.

You may have won without really understanding why : you may have done some super great moves or your opponent did blunder miserably and you were not even aware of that fact...

Understanding Your Win And Losses Is Key Regards,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

fdimeglio wrote:@Fernando,

You dont want to be a "robot" repeating a sequence of moves you dont even understand.

A better way is to record all your games and understand why you won / lost. You can use any other PC program for doing your analysis.

Most players (Chess, Othello, ...) do get that analysing their lost games is important but most of them miss the fact that ... analysing the wins is also super important ... sometimes even more.

You may have won without really understanding why : you may have done some super great moves or your opponent did blunder miserably and you were not even aware of that fact...

Understanding Your Win And Losses Is Key Regards,

Fabrice
Dear Fabrice I know very well why I lose when I lose and why I win when I win.
I lose due not to positional o strategical mistakes, but because the usual cause any player lose: tactical mistakes coming from not enough sound search or calculation.
And when I win is because that day instead of doing three things at the same time I just played, though longer and so avoided those mistakes.

It is always the same. You leave the game to do other thing, then yu hear the machine announcing it did its move, you take a glance to the board trying to remember what you were thinking before, calculate one minute or less and play and ¡Bangs! the house fall in pieces....

There was a time when I was younger that I could seat for hours playing old chess champion, but now I have no patience for that....

Fern
Festina Lente
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

@Fernando,

what you are trying to do is actually very difficult. Breaking your play thru a set of sessions here and there instead of using a continuous thinking is super hard. Basically you are "losing the context" each time.

But this does not really matter.

You still need to analyse your games. For real. If you do so, your play will be improving and will become more "deep".

Another way to deal with you "reduced patience" is to play only Blitz games. Playing Blitz is enjoyable and very useful for training and improving your skills.

I did so for about 6 months with my Vancouver 16 bits and I defeated two Grand Master in Blitz games. No kidding here.

The fanous "Paul Ralle", the 16yo French player who became World Champion in 1984 beating bad the Japanese players of that time and a good friend of mine told me many time: the real way to improve your games is to play a lot of Blitz, a real lot.

I really confirm.

Analysis And Blitz Are The Real Deal Regards,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

A better way is to record all your games and understand why you won / lost.
i guess you didnt realize i was joking
Fern got the joke

Some Friendly advice if i may...

Lighten Up A Bit regards
Steve
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Yes I was understanding the joke ;-) and was also just trying to give some useful advice ;-)

Tel Est Pris Qui Croyait Prendre regards,

Fabrice
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

what you are trying to do is actually very difficult. Breaking your play thru a set of sessions here and there instead of using a continuous thinking is super hard. Basically you are "losing the context" each time.

But this does not really matter.

You still need to analyse your games. For real. If you do so, your play will be improving and will become more "deep".

Another way to deal with you "reduced patience" is to play only Blitz games. Playing Blitz is enjoyable and very useful for training and improving your skills.

I did so for about 6 months with my Vancouver 16 bits and I defeated two Grand Master in Blitz games. No kidding here.

The fanous "Paul Ralle", the 16yo French player who became World Champion in 1984 beating bad the Japanese players of that time and a good friend of mine told me many time: the real way to improve your games is to play a lot of Blitz, a real lot.

I really confirm.

Analysis And Blitz Are The Real Deal Regards,

Fabrice

Fabrice, let me tell you something else about my approach to chess: I DO NOT CARE TO LOSE. That 's the reason I do not care, either, to tell here about my preposterous defeats and very rarely to tell about my victories.

I do not play to win. So, I do not expend time trying to play better, analyzing games, reading books, etc. I prefer to read a book or listening Haydn

My joy when playing is very localized: IF I see I have played a bright move, IF I detect a hidden threat from the engine, IF I see a combination, if any of those things happens I am happy enough even if at last I lose the game.

My pride is located in something else, my writing. The rest is for me a matter of indifference or just an occasion to get some light pleasant moments.

Indolent and carefree regards
Fern
Festina Lente
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

@Fernando, all of this is also perfectly fine for me as you enjoy it ;-)

Epicureans Regards,

Fabrice
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

fdimeglio wrote:@Fernando, all of this is also perfectly fine for me as you enjoy it ;-)

Epicureans Regards,

Fabrice
I am just tight and disciplined in my writing. My motto is the same as that of Pliny the elder:
Nulle dies sine linea...

Fern
Festina Lente