Two Chess Challenges for Steve!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Two Chess Challenges for Steve!

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Steve,

I have two challenges for you.

The first, a one hour a move game between an ancient dedicated in my collection against a dedicated computer of your choice in the range 1700-2100 Elo.

The moves to be relayed on the forum and I challenge anyone to correctly guess the computers in this challenge!

The second challenge is a match of 4 games between your new Resurrection machine and Palm Hiarcs 9.6. I suggest playing this match on the playchess server at a mutually convenient time at a time control of game in 15 minutes.

Ready or not? regards,
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Two Chess Challenges for Steve!

Post by Steve B »

Mark Uniacke wrote:Steve,

The first, a one hour a move game between an ancient dedicated in my collection against a dedicated computer of your choice in the range 1700-2100 Elo.

The moves to be relayed on the forum and I challenge anyone to correctly guess the computers in this challenge!

The second challenge is a match of 4 games between your new Resurrection machine and Palm Hiarcs 9.6. I suggest playing this match on the playchess server at a mutually convenient time at a time control of game in 15 minutes.

Ready or not? regards,
hi Mark
i of course will stand and accept your challenge!

i assume the correspondence game will be one move per day?
perhaps as the current contest ends today we can make the game the basis of the next contest question where members will try to guess what the two computers being used are?
i can begin the game at any time

as to your "live " challenge...of course i accept that as well ..but i think Res II-Rybka 2.2 is much stronger using only a slightly slower time control

i just finished this game at 1 minute per move avg...

Res I-Fruit 05 had white
i used the Noomen Standard Book but it was again out of book at move 4!

using the slower time control the Fish smelled a bit more familiar
:P

sacrificing a pawn early on to keep the White King from Castling it then trapped Fruits Q in an open board!

[White "Res I-Fruit"]
[Black "Res II-Rybka"]
[Time Control "1 min/avg"]

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.Qc2 Nc6 5.d4 d6 6.Bd2 O-O 7.a3 Bxc3 8.Bxc3 g6 9.e3 e5 10.dxe5 Nxe5 11.Nxe5 dxe5 12.Bxe5 Bf5 13.Qc3
Ne4 14.Qa5 b6 15.Qd5 Qh4 16.g3 Qe7 17.Bf4 Rad8 18.Qc6 Nc5 19.Bg2 g5 20.Bxc7 Rd7 21.Bxb6 Nd3+ 22.Kf1 axb6 23.Qxb6 Rc8 24.Qb5 Rc5 25.Qb8+ Rd8 26.Qb3 Be6 27.Qb7 Qf6 28.f3 Bxc4 29.Kg1 Bd5

[fen]3r2k1/1Q3p1p/5q2/2rb2p1/8/P2nPPP1/1P4BP/R5KR w - - 0 30[/fen]

the White Q is trapped !
Fruit offers to resign here (showing a PV of -9.99) but i wanted to see the gruesome ending for myself

30.Qxd5 Rdxd5 31.h4 Nc1

here the Fishka is doing the easy backstroke and announces mate in 8

[fen]6k1/5p1p/5q2/2rr2p1/7P/P3PPP1/1P4B1/R1n3KR w - - 0 32[/fen]

32.b4 Ne2+ 33.Kf2 Rc2 34.Rhe1 Nc1+ 35.Kf1 Rxg2 36.Kxg2 Rd2+ 37.Kg1 Qxf3
38.Re2 Rxe2 39.Rxc1 Qg2# 0-1

FINAL POSITION
[fen]6k1/5p1p/8/6p1/1P5P/P3P1P1/4r1q1/2R3K1 w - - 0 40[/fen]

i will play one more game at this level and then you can decide if you want to go with 15 min/game or 1 min per move..
i can begin that live debate next Saturday and Sunday Mornings,,11 am Server time...(probably best to go with 1 game per day if you choose the longer control)

Let The Games Begin Regards
Steve
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Steve B wrote:
Mark Uniacke wrote:Steve,

Ready or not? regards,
hi Mark
i of course will stand and accept your challenge!

i assume the correspondence game will be one move per day?
perhaps as the current contest ends today we can make the game the basis of the next contest question where members will try to guess what the two computers being used are?
i can begin the game at any time

as to your "live " challenge...of course i accept that as well ..but i think Res II-Rybka 2.2 is much stronger using only a slightly slower time control

i just finished this game at 1 minute per move avg...

Res I-Fruit 05 had white
i used the Noomen Standard Book but it was again out of book at move 4!

using the slower time control the Fish smelled a bit more familiar

sacrificing a pawn early on to keep the White King from Castling it then trapped Fruits Q in an open board!

[White "Res I-Fruit"]
[Black "Res II-Rybka"]
[Time Control "1 min/avg"]

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.Qc2 Nc6 5.d4 d6 6.Bd2 O-O 7.a3 Bxc3 8.Bxc3 g6 9.e3 e5 10.dxe5 Nxe5 11.Nxe5 dxe5 12.Bxe5 Bf5 13.Qc3
Ne4 14.Qa5 b6 15.Qd5 Qh4 16.g3 Qe7 17.Bf4 Rad8 18.Qc6 Nc5 19.Bg2 g5 20.Bxc7 Rd7 21.Bxb6 Nd3+ 22.Kf1 axb6 23.Qxb6 Rc8 24.Qb5 Rc5 25.Qb8+ Rd8 26.Qb3 Be6 27.Qb7 Qf6 28.f3 Bxc4 29.Kg1 Bd5

[fen]3r2k1/1Q3p1p/5q2/2rb2p1/8/P2nPPP1/1P4BP/R5KR w - - 0 30[/fen]

the White Q is trapped !
Fruit offers to resign here (showing a PV of -9.99) but i wanted to see the gruesome ending for myself

30.Qxd5 Rdxd5 31.h4 Nc1

here the Fish is doing the easy backstroke and announces mate in 8

[fen]6k1/5p1p/5q2/2rr2p1/7P/P3PPP1/1P4B1/R1n3KR w - - 0 32[/fen]

32.b4 Ne2+ 33.Kf2 Rc2 34.Rhe1 Nc1+ 35.Kf1 Rxg2 36.Kxg2 Rd2+ 37.Kg1 Qxf3
38.Re2 Rxe2 39.Rxc1 Qg2# 0-1

FINAL POSITION
[fen]6k1/5p1p/8/6p1/1P5P/P3P1P1/4r1q1/2R3K1 w - - 0 40[/fen]

i will play one more game at this level and then you can decide if you want to go with 15 min/game or 1 min per move..
i can begin that live debate next Saturday and Sunday Mornings,,11 am Server time...(probably best to go with 1 game per day if you choose the longer control)

Let The Games Begin Regards
Steve
Yes it could be part of a new competition, one move a day sounds good.

As for the other challenge I can see you are wriggling already, lets look at the facts...
Your system runs one of the latest 2007 engines on a 2007 CPU and runs a fair bit faster (500Mhz) than my Palm and you are using a fish...
Now I don't want you to be too slippery. :wink:

So I think we should stick at G/15. I think it would be more fun to play a few games rather than one or two anyway.

I will check my diary for suitable free dates.

Anyone for Sushi? regards,
Best wishes,
Mark

Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Mark Uniacke wrote:

I can see you are wriggling already, lets look at the facts...
Your system runs one of the latest 2007 engines on a 2007 CPU and runs a fair bit faster (500Mhz) than my Palm and you are using a fish...

So I think we should stick at G/15. I think it would be more fun to play a few games rather than one or two anyway.

OK then
i will take the Bait!
game/15 ..it is

somehow .. in what can only be called an odd turn of events ..it seems i am the Fishka representative here
:shock:

thats just fine by me though..
as i only care about glorious victory..which of course shall be mine!

i would use an engine authored by the Devil himself ..if i had to.. to taste the sweetness of victory

666 Regards
Steve
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Steve B wrote:
Mark Uniacke wrote:

I can see you are wriggling already, lets look at the facts...

OK then
i will take the Bait!
game/15 ..it is

somehow .. in what can only be called an odd turn of events ..it seems i am the Fishka representative here
:shock:

thats just fine by me though..
as i only care about glorious victory..which of course shall be mine!

i would use an engine authored by the Devil himself ..if i had to.. to taste the sweetness of victory

666 Regards
Steve
I can see the fish out of water already :wink:

I hope all this does not come back to bite me :?

Fish knife at the ready, regards,
Best wishes,
Mark

phoenixcs

Rybka Resurrection II

Post by phoenixcs »

Guys,

As Rybka needs some power to calculate things, playing at a 15 minute all game on the Res II is probably a bad idea. This can be seen on a Fruit - Rybka game on Resurrection hardware.

Res II Rybka will come to live at a minimum of 30 minutes all or better tournament levels...

Ruud
Best,

Ruud Martin
Phoenix Chess Systems
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Rybka Resurrection II

Post by Steve B »

phoenixcs wrote:Guys,

As Rybka needs some power to calculate things, playing at a 15 minute all game on the Res II is probably a bad idea. This can be seen on a Fruit - Rybka game on Resurrection hardware.

Res II Rybka will come to live at a minimum of 30 minutes all or better tournament levels...

Ruud
hi Ruud
even at 30 minutes /all it is not so strong
see the two games here where it lost and drew against Res I -Fruit 05 at game 30

BUT at 1 minute per move it is VERY Strong
i Think this is the minimum level of play for it

it crushed Res Fruit 05 in two games like a small insect

Best
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenixcs

Post by phoenixcs »

Steve B wrote:

Ruud
hi Ruud
even at 30 minutes /all it is not so strong
see the two games here where it lost and drew against Res I -Fruit 05 at game 30

BUT at 1 minute per move it is VERY Strong
i Think this is the minimum level of play for it

it crushed Res Fruit 05 in two games like a small insect

Best
Steve
Steve
Correct, at 1 minute a move, it will crush fruit.

Ruud
Best,

Ruud Martin
Phoenix Chess Systems
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Ruud
Ruud,

Your website says the Resurrection 1 runs at 200Mhz and the Resurrection 2 runs at 500Mhz.

Are you saying that the Res 2 with Rybka is not stronger than the Res 1 with Fruit unless the game is at least a minute a move or longer? :shock:

That does beg the question if Fruit on the Res 2 h/w might be stronger?
Best wishes,
Mark