Deep Junior 11.1 - Available Now!

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

bnemais wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnemais wrote:Does Junior or Hiarcs support use of the .ctg books using the OwnBook option?

If not, these books are useless to me.
Deep Junior is a UCI engine so will work in any GUI that supports UCI as will its own internal book. As a bonus you get a brand new ctg opening book written by a GM.
I guess I don't understand that answer. Let me rephrase my question:

I operate engines using two interfaces only. Icsdrone (for playing on an ICS), and winboard for analysis and play against the engine or tournaments. Both of these need polyglot because they use the winboard protocol. My question is, can I make use of these books when running this way?
If these interfaces are able to run a UCI engine then the internal book should play just fine.
bnemais

Post by bnemais »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnemais wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnemais wrote:Does Junior or Hiarcs support use of the .ctg books using the OwnBook option?

Deep Junior is a UCI engine so will work in any GUI that supports UCI as will its own internal book. As a bonus you get a brand new ctg opening book written by a GM.

I operate engines using two interfaces only. Icsdrone (for playing on an ICS), and winboard for analysis and play against the engine or tournaments. Both of these need polyglot because they use the winboard protocol. My question is, can I make use of these books when running this way?
If these interfaces are able to run a UCI engine then the internal book should play just fine.
I want to know if the engine is able to use the .ctg book by itself.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

bnemais wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnemais wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

the ctg book will run in the CB/Fritz GUI it is also possible to use it in other GUI's with the Aquarium adapter
bnemais

Post by bnemais »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnemais wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
bnemais wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

the ctg book will run in the CB/Fritz GUI it is also possible to use it in other GUI's with the Aquarium adapter
So let me rephrase your answer to see if I understand:

No, the engine is not able to use the .ctg book by itself. It may be possible to utilize .ctg books using icsdrone and/or winboard if the Aquarium adapter is also used, but that method isn't supported by us.

Correct?
JamesC

Analyse game in Shredder Classic

Post by JamesC »

Using the unactivated version, the analyse game (1s per move) doesn't seem to work in Shredder Classic, whereas the blundercheck is fine in Fritz. Is this a problem with the activated version? Thx
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

bnemais wrote:
So let me rephrase your answer to see if I understand:

No, the engine is not able to use the .ctg book by itself. It may be possible to utilize .ctg books using icsdrone and/or winboard if the Aquarium adapter is also used, but that method isn't supported by us.

Correct?
I suppose you've used .ctg books previously? I don't quite understand what point you're trying to drive or whether you really don't know .ctg books.

In any case please allow me to answer on Harvey's behalf: ctg book files are used directly by chessbase GUI products (such as Fritz) and indirectly using the Aquarium adapter for GUI products that support UCI - Afaik the Aquarium Adapter is unsupported by Chessok and provided As Is, but I may be wrong here.

I can't help but feel you were not asking rather trying to make a point that at least I failed to understand.

However if that point was that that ctg format is not great as not all GUI's support it - that's a valid point. Regrettably unlike winboard and UCI there's no open opening-book format that most major GUI's support that I'm aware of. Nor a good tool to translate from one proprietary book format to another.

The only workaround that comes close is the Aquarium adapter, and that too is not perfect. Life sucks, for some of the people, some of the time.
bnemais

Post by bnemais »

Highendman wrote:I suppose you've used .ctg books previously? I don't quite understand what point you're trying to drive or whether you really don't know .ctg books.
I wasn't trying to make a point... yet. Mostly, I want to know if I can make use of these .ctg books the way I operate engines. I've already discussed how I do that.

If I can't, then my point is basically that I have no intention of paying for something useless to me, even if the book is considered free to some, that it ships with the engine, I don't see it that way-- much like windows isn't really free when you buy a computer. I don't want to pay for something I can't use, and I won't.

Now, I am a Hiarcs customer. The difference is that there was no incentive to buy version 12 due to .ctg books because that didn't come about until 12.1, or later than after I purchased H12 in any event.

Again, I like the Junior engine and would like to purchase it, but before I do, I want to know if I can make full use of it, including the .ctg book that is part of the package. At this point, it looks like the only possible way is via a long string of adapters, so basically I have an answer and must decide if I want to go that route. Among the issues is I make heavy use of Linux, and have no idea if that chain will work or not. I also don't know if the Aquarium adapter is free or not.
bnemais

Post by bnemais »

Highendman wrote:I suppose you've used .ctg books previously
No I haven't. I don't have any CB software.
Highendman wrote:I can't help but feel you were not asking rather trying to make a point that at least I failed to understand.
So basically because of this repeated quest for information, you feel I had some alternative motive for posing the questions? I suggest you go back and look at my original question, the original response, and continue through the posts and find just one place where my question was directly answered.

Because if the answer had been
.ctg books are only available with CB products and possibly with the Aquarium adapter, but are not used internally by the engine
then the issue would have dropped right there and I wouldn't have written anything else on the subject. The evasive nature of the responses precipitated this exchange, so please don't accuse me of having another motive. I've tried very hard to be civil because I've had to basically repeat the same question many different ways due to the lack of a response.
peter

Re: Deep Junior 11.1 - Available Now!

Post by peter »

Harvey Williamson wrote: Deep Junior 11.1 UCI chess engine
Hi!
Having bought DJ 11.1 recently I just read at the download site, newest version is 11.2.
Can I get an update?
Thanks in advance
regards
Peter.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

peter wrote:
Hi!
Having bought DJ 11.1 recently I just read at the download site, newest version is 11.2.
Can I get an update?
Thanks in advance
yes just download it. It will work with the activation key you already have.
peter

Post by peter »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
peter wrote:
Hi!
Can I get an update?
Thanks in advance
yes just download it. It will work with the activation key you already have.
Thank you very much, Harvey!
Already works fine, great support here at the forum!
:)
regards
Peter.