Hiarcs for Pocket and Palm

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Daniel wrote:Hello,

I had Hiarcs intalled in a Palm T5, and I bougth a new Plam TX. How can I transfer the licence to my new Palm?

Thanks,

Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Mark can arrange this for you. If you email Hiarcs support or just click on any post here by Mark and then click on the email button.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Yes, just email me and I can sort that out no problem.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Mark Uniacke wrote:Thanks for all the responses and your ideas for features will be carefully considered.

I still MUCH prefer the Palm to the Pocket PC, the Pocket PC strikes me as over complex. It is a pity Palm took their eye off the ball with the Palm evolution.

Best wishes,
Mark
It is a shame how Palm have ceased evolving.But I still like PPC compared to Palm mainly from a hard-ware perspective.I use to own a Palm Tungsten T5 but had many problems with losing the opening book for Hiarcs 9.6 and having to re-install from my main PC.
Is it too complex for you to program a native version for PPC?Just look at all the other PPC chess programs there are, maybe some-one with expertise in PPC architecture could help you in this respect.
Bonario

Post by Bonario »

Mark Uniacke wrote:...

I think in a week or two when things are not so busy and we have a lot of members we could do a poll of features wanted by customers on Palm or Pocket Hiarcs.

Best wishes,
Mark
Looking forward to it :) I'm a Hiarcs user on Palm and I have some ideas that I think would make Hiarcs the chess software most sought after.
Alain

Hiarcs for Pocket PC is definitely a "must have"

Post by Alain »

I have never had a Palm and went the Pocket PC path from the beginning, it is a great platform !
Note : I am not starting a war : there can be two great mobile platforms...

And I think that handheld chess is great : for subway, beach, helping reading books, etc...

Best regards,

Alain
codonauta

a review about pocket chess programs

Post by codonauta »

We can read in the an interesting article about pocket chess programs, for Pocket Pc or palm devices, written by Axel Schumaccher.
There we can find a description of dozens of pocket programs available for us today ( or when he wrote the article ). It was very useful for me some months ago when I was looking for a good pocket chess program.
Hiarcs is one the top programs, obviously, and is the strongest.
I tried to write here the link, but the Hiarcs Forum didnt allow me, yet, because it is my first post. Maybe later , then.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: a review about pocket chess programs

codonauta wrote:We can read in the an interesting article about pocket chess programs, for Pocket Pc or palm devices, written by Axel Schumaccher.
There we can find a description of dozens of pocket programs available for us today ( or when he wrote the article ). It was very useful for me some months ago when I was looking for a good pocket chess program.
Hiarcs is one the top programs, obviously, and is the strongest.
I tried to write here the link, but the Hiarcs Forum didnt allow me, yet, because it is my first post. Maybe later , then.
In your second post you can post the link. It is just an anti-spam precaution that stops this.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
codonauta

pocket chess programs review

Post by codonauta »

No problem.
Repeating:
We can read in the link below an interesting article about pocket chess programs, for Pocket Pc or palm devices, written by Axel Schumaccher.
Hiarcs is one the top programs, obviously, and is the strongest. The link is:
http://www.grailmaster.com/misc/chess/c ... eview.html
or shortly
http://tinyurl.com/jcm6w.
At the end of the article we find a link to a similar article, where the autor comment the top programs, one by one. ( almost 50 programs ) The link is http://www.grailmaster.com/misc/chess/c ... da_pdf.pdf
or shortly: http://tinyurl.com/35c7qh

If you dont know this review, and you are interested in pocket chess programs, I recommend it.
ruffsteve

New Palm installation

Post by ruffsteve »

I had Hiarcs intalled in a Palm T5, and I bougth a new Plam TX. How can I transfer the licence to my new Palm?

Thanks,

Daniel
I too have the problem with a new Palm. Do I have to get a new licence key?

Steve

Ps Like Hiarcs a lot.....so superior to anything else on the Palm
Love wooden chess computers......you PC guys have no idea!!!
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: New Palm installation

ruffsteve wrote:

Thanks,

Daniel
I too have the problem with a new Palm. Do I have to get a new licence key?

Steve

Ps Like Hiarcs a lot.....so superior to anything else on the Palm
Hi Steve,

Just email Mark at Hiarcs support and he will sort it out for you.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
kralisec

Post by kralisec »

johnl wrote:The future handheld will be a single pda-smartphone device
I'm ok with you
johnl wrote:and windows mobile OS will dominate the market. The HP iPAQ hw6915 is just one example.
not so sure, symbian seems actually growing really fast,
also iphone try to propose a new direction on the market,
who can make (good !) pronostic on future will have all my respect :)

Good day,
Laurent.
Kriechel

Post by Kriechel »

I also love Hiarcs on Palm. One of the reasons to go for a PDA was the availability of HIARCS. So keep on developing on it. If you need beta-testing, let me know, anyways I am looking forward to treating myself to new versions of this great program.

--- Ben
codonauta

Hiarcs for pocket pc?

Post by codonauta »

I read in the Hiarcs"s site that now is possible to run the "Hiarcs for palm' in pockets pc too, using one program , the Style Tap, that we find in the Hiarcs's site. I am trying to do this to work, but i didnt get that yet.
I have already bought the hiarcs for palm, but my device, a Tungsten T5 is not working; then i was thinking in buying a new palm device to experiment the Hiarcs. I have a good pocket pc, a iPaq. If this Style tap work, It will be a great new for me, and for the users of pockets pcs.
I did the download of the Style Tab, but how can I install the files downloaded in my pocket pc?
Well, maybe this kind of question must be sent to Hiarcs customer support, but I would like to write down this question
here.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

It really is quite easy.Just run the StyleTap setup and then that will give the StyleTap installer program.If you have saved the Hiarcs Palm files on your desktop all you need to do is drag and drop these files into the StyleTap installer program.At first you will be only able to use the demo version of both StyleTap and Hiarcs and StyleTap will give you full version for 14 days then you have to purchase it.If you were I, I would wait till the dedicated Hiarcs for PPC comes out before shelling out money now for StyleTap and a new licence for Hiarcs.
codonauta

Hiarcs for pocket pc? will be real?

Post by codonauta »

But are Hiarcs planning to develop the program to pocket pc too? I am reading in all these posts saying that not. Or am I wrong?