Excalibur Phantom Force - Steve B

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
mephisto

Excalibur Phantom Force - Steve B

Post by mephisto »

Hi Steve
What is the latest delivery news from Excalibur on the Excalibur Phantom Force ?
May The Force Be With You
Bryan
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Excalibur Phantom Force - Steve B

Post by Steve B »

mephisto wrote:Hi Steve
What is the latest delivery news from Excalibur on the Excalibur Phantom Force ?
May The Force Be With You
Bryan
hi Sir Whitby
welcome to the forum..very nice to see you here

as far as i know they were SUPPOSED to be shipping last week
but i can say for certain they have not
hopefully any day now
:roll:

Hurry Up And Wait Regards
Steve
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Hi Steve
Just seen on Excaliburs web site that November 15th is now the latest date for delivery.
Sad news for anyone who has already paid.
Bryan
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

mephisto wrote:Hi Steve
Just seen on Excaliburs web site that November 15th is now the latest date for delivery.
Sad news for anyone who has already paid.
Bryan
oh jeez
i am ruined
:shock:

Need to get two jobs now Regards
Steve
Chest-Nut

Post by Chest-Nut »

Yesterday morning, I e-mailed two places in U.S. acquire about when it will be available. I haven't got a reply yet. It doesn't seem it will be available anytime soon.

Where is my toy?! :cry: Where is my toy?! :cry:

May be the knight got tangle up with a pawn regard,

Gregory
TurboKing

Post by TurboKing »

Hello

do you know if Excalibur is going to upgrade/ improve/replace the program of the Phantom Force ?
1800 elo is weak for such a nice machine like PF

Hello Steve, can you ask Ron Nelson please ?
Thanks a lot
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

TurboKing wrote:Hello

do you know if Excalibur is going to upgrade/ improve/replace the program of the Phantom Force ?

Thanks a lot

The PF/Mirage II .. will not have an improved Mirage/Grandmaster program but rather the program will be the same as seen in the Deluxe Talking Touch Chess..there will be some bug fixes and a much larger vocabulary (voice feature)

My Best
Steve
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Steve B wrote: The PF/Mirage II .. will not have an improved Mirage/Grandmaster program but rather the program will be the same as seen in the Deluxe Talking Touch Chess..there will be some bug fixes and a much larger vocabulary (voice feature)
So my worst fear became true... :shock:

Why do all major manufacturers prefer their second-best programs for their flagships? :evil: Saitek -> Exclusive Senator; Novag -> Citrine and now Excalibur!

:?: regards,
Robert
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Robert Weck wrote:
Steve B wrote: The PF/Mirage II .. will not have an improved Mirage/Grandmaster program but rather the program will be the same as seen in the Deluxe Talking Touch Chess..there will be some bug fixes and a much larger vocabulary (voice feature)
So my worst fear became true... :shock:

Why do all major manufacturers prefer their second-best programs for their flagships? :evil: Saitek -> Exclusive Senator; Novag -> Citrine and now Excalibur!

:?: regards,
Robert
Sadly Robert
they no longer release so many chess computers for strong players
they make them as novelties for people to purchase as a fancy toy around the holiday buying season

:cry: Regards
Steve
cornetmike

Post by cornetmike »

Steve B wrote:

Thanks a lot

The PF/Mirage II .. will not have an improved Mirage/Grandmaster program but rather the program will be the same as seen in the Deluxe Talking Touch Chess..there will be some bug fixes and a much larger vocabulary (voice feature)

My Best
Steve

This is sad! :( The D.T.T.C program isn't even as strong as the Alexandra! Some of us here love dedicated machines because we like to PLAY chess at places you can't drag a PC. Robot machines are interesting, but I'm not paying the price of a Phantom Force for a 1500 ELO machine.. :shock:

regards
Mikey :D
“They must find it difficult – those who take authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority.” - Gerald Massey, Egyptologist
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

cornetmike wrote:
Steve B wrote:

Thanks a lot

My Best
Steve

This is sad! :( The D.T.T.C program isn't even as strong as the Alexandra! Some of us here love dedicated machines because we like to PLAY chess at places you can't drag a PC. Robot machines are interesting, but I'm not paying the price of a Phantom Force for a 1500 ELO machine.. :shock:

regards
Mikey :D
Actually Mikey
the price is one of the few things collectors cannot complain about

$250 Regards
Steve
cornetmike

Post by cornetmike »

I wasn't really complaining about the price for collectors, although my post did make it sound like I was. :? My gripe as a PLAYER was that $250 is too much for a 1500 ELO (probably less) machine! It probably wouldn't have cost Excalibur two dollars more per unit to have used the Alexandra or Ivan program, and still have a PF/Mirage II for good players and "a novelty for people to purchase as a fancy toy around the holiday buying season." A win/win situation for everybody, but alas... :roll:

warm regards
Mikey

p.s. I'm not familiar at all with the Ivan program. My guess is that it's the same as Alexandra's. But then again it could be the same as the "fuddy-duddy" King Arthur...
“They must find it difficult – those who take authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority.” - Gerald Massey, Egyptologist
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

cornetmike wrote:I wasn't really complaining about the price for collectors, although my post did make it sound like I was. :? My gripe as a PLAYER was that $250 is too much for a 1500 ELO (probably less) machine! It probably wouldn't have cost Excalibur two dollars more per unit to have used the Alexandra or Ivan program, and still have a PF/Mirage II for good players and "a novelty for people to purchase as a fancy toy around the holiday buying season." A win/win situation for everybody, but alas... :roll:

warm regards
Mikey

p.s. I'm not familiar at all with the Ivan program. My guess is that it's the same as Alexandra's. But then again it could be the same as the "fuddy-duddy" King Arthur...
well if it is any consolation to you ...
i have it on good authority that several of the DTTC bugs have been fixed and to add variety to the program..new bugs have been programmed in its place

:roll: Regards
Steve
cornetmike

Post by cornetmike »

Steve B wrote:
cornetmike wrote:I wasn't really complaining about the price for collectors, although my post did make it sound like I was. :? My gripe as a PLAYER was that $250 is too much for a 1500 ELO (probably less) machine! It probably wouldn't have cost Excalibur two dollars more per unit to have used the Alexandra or Ivan program, and still have a PF/Mirage II for good players and "a novelty for people to purchase as a fancy toy around the holiday buying season." A win/win situation for everybody, but alas... :roll:

warm regards
Mikey

well if it is any consolation to you ...
i have it on good authority that several of the DTTC bugs have been fixed and to add variety to the program..new bugs have been programmed in its place

:roll: Regards
Steve
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one Steve. I nearly crapped my pants... :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards
Mikey :lol:
mclane

Post by mclane »

warm regards
Mikey

at least they would sell more units in europe if they would come with a software/hardware combination that is capable to beat Mephisto Milano that are usually sold at ebay for 25 EURO and was sold 1991 to the customers. maybe for USA it is good enough, but here the customers are used stronger machines because we had TASC and Mephisto and Saitek etc.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....