Still Searching For Glory!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Ted Summers

Post by Ted Summers »

The only thing I don't like about chess engines, Hiarcs more to the point :evil: is that they ruin my "Mona Lisa's". I've played what I thought were some great games on playchess (human vs. human), only to analyze the games later and have Grand Master Hiarcs show me that they were not that great after all.

Signed
Mark Ryan

Post by Mark Ryan »

Ted, the engines are doing you a favor. You would not want to live in a false paradise, thinking that you had played a "Mona Lisa" which was actually subtly flawed. :wink:

More importantly, Robert Louis Stevenson wrote a beautiful essay called "El Dorado". I think you will like it: http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/s/ ... pter6.html

And, of course, there's always Tennyson's "Ulysses":
http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poem/2191.html

Ted, keep trying to paint that "Mona Lisa". The glory is not in the finished product. The glory is in the act of painting.

:D
Jose

Re: Still Searching For Glory!

Post by Jose »

Ted Summers wrote:The only thing I don't like about chess engines, Hiarcs more to the point :evil: is that they ruin my "Mona Lisa's". I've played what I thought were some great games on playchess (human vs. human), only to analyze the games later and have Grand Master Hiarcs show me that they were not that great after all.

Signed
If you not want to learn MORE about chess, you may not ask a grandmaster for a tip or never let your game analyze with chess engines. :wink:

everything else would be correct. :D

You play best regards :)
José