Removing Engines from Chessbase 10

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Keith317

Removing Engines from Chessbase 10

Post by Keith317 »

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and has overcome it.

OK, so I decided to remove a load of engines from Chessbase. I had too many and decided to focus on quality rather than quantity. I know I could have simply made them inactive but, maybe it's OCD or something, I preferred to remove them totally

So, where there was an unistaller I used that. Where not, I deleted the DLL and ENG files in the Engines directory. Where the engine was UCI, I deleted that entry in the Engines.UCI folder.

Guess what! A bunch of engines still show up as active. I can't load them (not found, unsurprisingly). But couldn't get rid of them.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Chessbase.

Same result.

I ununstalled Chessbase and cleaned the registry of all references to Chessbase and the offending engines.

Same result.

It's minor, I know, but really bugging me. Is there something else that I should try?

Many thanks

Keith
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Hi,
Go to the Start button....start the Run icon....type Application Data and press Enter....you will see a ChessBase folder....open it and there you'll find a folder called UCI Engines....open it and delete whatever engine file you want....your problem is solved....
Dr.D
Keith317

Post by Keith317 »

excellent - many thanks
Keith317

Post by Keith317 »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Hi,
Go to the Start button....start the Run icon....type Application Data and press Enter....you will see a ChessBase folder....open it and there you'll find a folder called UCI Engines....open it and delete whatever engine file you want....your problem is solved....
Dr.D
Actually, I just tried this (32 bit Vista) and it doesn't work!

I type run into the search. Run "run" and type "applications data" and get "Windows can't find Applications"!

Any other ideas?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Keith317 wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Hi,
Dr.D
Actually, I just tried this (32 bit Vista) and it doesn't work!

I type run into the search. Run "run" and type "applications data" and get "Windows can't find Applications"!

Any other ideas?
application no s on the end
Keith317

Post by Keith317 »

Ah - thanks.

That works, sort of, I don't seem to have one, though. I get "file not accessible".

Trying the search revels that I don't seem to have this file.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Keith317 wrote:Ah - thanks.

That works, sort of, I don't seem to have one, though. I get "file not accessible".

Trying the search revels that I don't seem to have this file.
you have to search inside hidden files and folders for it to search application data.
Keith317

Post by Keith317 »

Thanks Harvey - I'll give that a go when I get home. Sorry for being a bit obtuse.

However, on the basis that I do have one, what do I do to make it accessible?
Keith317

Post by Keith317 »

Problem solved along the lines suggested here.

However, for others who get this problem, the file in Vista is "App data" not "Application data". Otherwise, as suggested here works a treat.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Keith317 wrote:Problem solved along the lines suggested here.

However, for others who get this problem, the file in Vista is "App data" not "Application data". Otherwise, as suggested here works a treat.
Did I forget to mention that I hate Vista :mrgreen: :?:
Dr.D
Keith317

Post by Keith317 »

You did.

The viewpoint is totally understandable. :)