I think I am seeing double Double...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

I think I am seeing double Double...

Post by spacious_mind »

Here are some of my favorite wooden boards. Now here is a little quiz! Can you tell which one is which model?

Unfortunately I am not as rich as Steve therefore no prizes for guessing correctly :D

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: I think I am seeing double Double...

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:Here are some of my favorite wooden boards. Now here is a little quiz! Can you tell which one is which model?

Unfortunately I am not as rich as Steve therefore no prizes for guessing correctly :D

Best regards
Hi Nick

i will make the following wild guesses:

TOP LEFT:Monte Carlo IV Limited Edition
TOP RIGHT:Academy
Bottom Left:Monte Carlo
Bottom Right:Monte Carlo IV

its possible both bottom computers are Monte Carlo's OR both Monte Carlo IV's but if the colors of the boards that show on my computer screen are accurate i will go with my list above

Regards From Monaco
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Hi Nick

i will make the following wild guesses:

TOP LEFT:Monte Carlo IV Limited Edition
TOP RIGHT:Academy
Bottom Left:Monte Carlo
Bottom Right:Monte Carlo IV

its possible both bottom computers are Monte Carlo's OR both Monte Carlo IV's but if the colors of the boards that show on my computer screen are accurate i will go with my list above

Regards From Monaco
Steve
Hi Steve

Thanks for playing along :D You are close but the bottom two are actually reversed. The Monte Carlo IV in my collection is the lighter wood one on the left and the Monte Carlo is on the right. Admittedly it is almost impossible to distinguish the difference. Especially if they made them all in different wood grain colors. Unless of course the little red Mephisto Logo which is on three of the boards distinguishes the Monte Carlo since it does not show one on mine. Does your Monte Carlo have the little Logo?

I hope you are up to another Test :D :

Sacrilege or Art?

Can you tell which computer has been changed it into an object of someones imagination?

All the best
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

hi Nick

actually yes..
my MC has the logo and the lighter wood ..while my MCIV has the darker wood..which is why i thought they were in that order

as far as your newest offering

that is getting a bit too funky for me..very Psychedelic

it might be the Mephisto Modena or Milano?

Squinting Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:hi Nick

actually yes..
my MC has the logo and the lighter wood ..while my MCIV has the darker wood..which is why i thought they were in that order

Squinting Regards
Steve
Yes I agree the thing is funky, actually when I bought it I was hoping it was something better then what it is. Hoping it was Nigel Short or some other Mephisto. The person erased everything from the back of the board also. It is a Modena. I have it placed on a small side table and visitors do actually get drawn to it for whatever reason. Whether it is shock, horror or fascination I cannot tell... lol ..

All the best
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:hi Nick

actually yes..

Squinting Regards
Steve
Yes I agree the thing is funky, actually when I bought it I was hoping it was something better then what it is. Hoping it was Nigel Short or some other Mephisto. The person erased everything from the back of the board also. It is a Modena. I have it placed on a small side table and visitors do actually get drawn to it for whatever reason. Whether it is shock, horror or fascination I cannot tell... lol ..

All the best
Visitors?

you show your computers to strangers?
:P

you seem to have a very nice collection Nick
do you have a web site where they can all be viewed in one place?

Impressed Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote: Visitors?

Impressed Regards
Steve
Steve:
My collection is not even close to yours :) But I am quite pleased with it. With doing my 108 machine U1400 Tournament and an Intercontinental Tournament with a friend in Germany and playing around with Micha's Wiki trying to do some english there and having to work for a living, I have not had time to do a Website. I am hoping to maybe next year I will think about doing one. I like to play games on the chess computers so it will probably if I do one be centered around games.

Here is a first english page I tried in Wiki, let me know what you think and how I could improve. I am trying to work on Excalibur and Radioshack since a lot of info is missing on those. Trouble is same as you I dont like to open my computers so I have lot of missing info. Would your friend "you know who" be willing to provide some Excalibur info?

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... ss_Station

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote: Visitors?

Impressed Regards
Steve
Steve:
My collection is not even close to yours :) But I am quite pleased with it. With doing my 108 machine U1400 Tournament and an Intercontinental Tournament with a friend in Germany and playing around with Micha's Wiki trying to do some english there and having to work for a living, I have not had time to do a Website. I am hoping to maybe next year I will think about doing one. I like to play games on the chess computers so it will probably if I do one be centered around games.

Here is a first english page I tried in Wiki, let me know what you think and how I could improve. I am trying to work on Excalibur and Radioshack since a lot of info is missing on those. Trouble is same as you I dont like to open my computers so I have lot of missing info. Would your friend "you know who" be willing to provide some Excalibur info?

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... ss_Station

Best regards
nice Work Nick

the BIG Problem with Wiki is the language
sadly the whole world does not speak German

too bad you are only working on Excalibur or Radio Shack though
we could use the main manufacturers to be in a more commonly understood language

i was asked by the .info boys a couple of years ago to help in the English pages but sadly i had to refuse due to lack of time
and now that i am moderating here Harvey watches me like a hawk and i have no free time for anything else
:shock:

Nelson will not be of much help
it is all i can do sometimes to get him to reply to me!

keep up the good work !

Wiki For ALL Regards
Steve
mclane

Post by mclane »

i don't think german is a problem :-)
maybe the fact you don't speak it, is :-)

i have sent the excalibur guys an email, wanted to know why their machines are always that WEAK and why they do not put stronger hardware or software into it.

no reaction.

strange.

i guess they do not want new customers and are completely satisfied with dealing to the mass...

what a pity.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

mclane wrote:i don't think german is a problem :-)
maybe the fact you don't speak it, is :-)
yes its true!
YOU are the perfect man for the job Thorsten

you speak BOTH languages perfectly!

please translate each Wiki entry as soon as possible!

Grateful Regards
Steve
:)
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote: nice Work Nick

the BIG Problem with Wiki is the language
sadly the whole world does not speak German

too bad you are only working on Excalibur or Radio Shack though
we could use the main manufacturers to be in a more commonly understood language

i was asked by the .info boys a couple of years ago to help in the English pages but sadly i had to refuse due to lack of time
and now that i am moderating here Harvey watches me like a hawk and i have no free time for anything else
:shock:

Nelson will not be of much help
it is all i can do sometimes to get him to reply to me!

keep up the good work !

Wiki For ALL Regards
Steve
Hi Steve

Thanks for your nice comments. Well with regards to Ron Nelson that was just a wishful thought.. but c'est la vie.

I am also translating german pages there as I get time, one which is already translated and up and running is the Mephisto start page. If you go to the bottom of the german Mephisto start page you will see an english flag if you click that you will come to the english page Problem is of course time to do them all. I chose to do Excalibur as a start because there is no information there wheras for mephsito there is plenty even though it is in german. (which for me is not a problem :D )

Of course it would be nice if 10 or 20 people volunteered and translated a page each and the work would soon be done.. lol

All the transilvanialatory best
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
I am also translating german pages there as I get time, one which is already translated and up and running is the Mephisto start page. If you go to the bottom of the german Mephisto start page you will see an english flag if you click that you will come to the english page
yes i saw it!
could you perhaps make the English Flag any smaller?
i just managed to make it out
:wink:

good job on the translation
does not look like a "WorldLingo" Special

now if you could only get the many factual errors out of Wiki we will be all set to go

J/K Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
yes i saw it!

now if you could only get the many factual errors out of Wiki we will be all set to go

J/K Regards
Steve
:D The flag's are Micha's. You wait till I tell him what you think of his FLAGS ! :shock:

best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
yes i saw it!

J/K Regards
Steve
:D The flag's are Micha's. You wait till I tell him what you think of his FLAGS ! :shock:

best regards
Say Hello to Micha for me and Stefan also

while you are there please ask them to use this flag instead:

http://www.kliv.com/images/OldGlory.gif

:P Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:
yes i saw it!

J/K Regards
Steve

best regards
Say Hello to Micha for me and Stefan also

while you are there please ask them to use this flag instead:

http://www.kliv.com/images/OldGlory.gif

:P Regards
Steve
:lol: I am going to e-mail him the link ! He might get a kick out of this.

Take care Steve
Nick