Best Analysis parameters?

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

HiarcsAxel

Best Analysis parameters?

Post by HiarcsAxel »

I've used Hiarcs 12 to analyze some games I ran into to draws early on.

What parameters setting is best to help hiarcs find a way to avoid a draw, early before it is forced? Because a lot of times I am getting a draw value of 0.00 and I am not sure if there is a way for Hiarcs to look for a win rather than just settle for that draw.
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Vempele wrote:Hiarcs Draw Value.
I thought someone would mention this. He does not say if he has uci H12 or CB. All CB engines + Rybka use a positive + contempt for must win. All UCI engines except Rybka use a negative - contempt for must win.
Dylan Sharp

Re: Best Analysis parameters?

Post by Dylan Sharp »

HiarcsAxel wrote:I am not sure if there is a way for Hiarcs to look for a win rather than just settle for that draw.
Please note that "Avoiding Draws" will cause more decided games, but that more lost than won games will be expected against strong opposition (Otherwise a low contempt would be the default.)
HiarcsAxel

My apology

Post by HiarcsAxel »

I am using the UCI not the chessbase version. I purchased Hiarcs 12 MP through the hiarcs.com site. So if I wish to force hiarcs 12 to play for a win, I put a negative figure for the draw value.

But someone did mention there is a risk of forcing hiarcs to play bad moves, leading to a loss as it pushes to win.
Dylan Sharp

Re: My apology

Post by Dylan Sharp »

HiarcsAxel wrote:But someone did mention there is a risk of forcing hiarcs to play bad moves, leading to a loss as it pushes to win.
Yes, if Hiarcs plays for the draw it's because it doesn't see anything better, but making it avoid draws may work against weaker opposition.