Old software on new machines?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
ruffsteve

Old software on new machines?

Post by ruffsteve »

Hi,

I've now managed to download a few interesting chess programs such as Chessplayer 2150, Chessmaster 2000/2100 etc. with the help of Ed Schroder's website. These are ones I owned as a teenager!

In some old literature I still have ratings which are quoted using machines current at that time such as the Commodore Amiga, running a 68000 processor I think?

Does anyone know if there is any change in the strength of the program by running it on todays much faster PCs. (I presume that the emulator software is built in as it was not required to download seperately) or does the emulator step in making the program no different to the original?

I've also downloaded some some very old programs such as WhiteKnight 2, by Martin Bryant ,which I originally owned for the Acorn BBC model B. This one in particular is running using an emulator called 'Beebem'...Its good to reminisce :wink:

'Old Fashioned' Steve
Love wooden chess computers......you PC guys have no idea!!!
Terry McCracken

Re: Old software on new machines?

Post by Terry McCracken »

ruffsteve wrote:Hi,

I've now managed to download a few interesting chess programs such as Chessplayer 2150, Chessmaster 2000/2100 etc. with the help of Ed Schroder's website. These are ones I owned as a teenager!

In some old literature I still have ratings which are quoted using machines current at that time such as the Commodore Amiga, running a 68000 processor I think?

Does anyone know if there is any change in the strength of the program by running it on todays much faster PCs. (I presume that the emulator software is built in as it was not required to download seperately) or does the emulator step in making the program no different to the original?

I've also downloaded some some very old programs such as WhiteKnight 2, by Martin Bryant ,which I originally owned for the Acorn BBC model B. This one in particular is running using an emulator called 'Beebem'...Its good to reminisce :wink:

'Old Fashioned' Steve
They should be stronger...how much is hard to say? If you used the Amiga 1000 or 500 it was based on a Motorola 68000 running at 7.14 mgh.

Times sure have changed!

Terry
genorb

Post by genorb »

Hi,

I am also interested to see how old programs would behave on modern hardware compared to newer strong program. No doubt that they are weaker than Hiarcs or Rybka but how much?

I did a first weak test with Chess Genius 3 (the first program to beat Kasparov in a 2 game match of 25 minutes, if I am not wrong). I tested this program with some test positions (LCTII test).

The result can be seen on my website

http://www.ordichec.net/testlct.html

Hardware: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ 2200 MHz

Chess Genius 3 is not ridiculous at all :!:

Of course a better test would be to let such old programs play against newer ones, but this cannot be done in an automatic way under some modern GUI list Chessbase GUI or Arena so it would takes a long time to do it, but it would be interesting.

Regards,

Fabian
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

genorb wrote:Hi,

I am also interested to see how old programs would behave on modern hardware compared to newer strong program. No doubt that they are weaker than Hiarcs or Rybka but how much?

I did a first weak test with Chess Genius 3 (the first program to beat Kasparov in a 2 game match of 25 minutes, if I am not wrong). I tested this program with some test positions (LCTII test).

The result can be seen on my website

http://www.ordichec.net/testlct.html

Hardware: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ 2200 MHz

Chess Genius 3 is not ridiculous at all :!:

Of course a better test would be to let such old programs play against newer ones, but this cannot be done in an automatic way under some modern GUI list Chessbase GUI or Arena so it would takes a long time to do it, but it would be interesting.

Regards,

Fabian
Genius7 was tested by the cegt 40/20 and based on my knowledge there was no improvement in the playing strength of Genius after Genius3 and maybe genius3 is the strongest genius.

result of it is:

292 Genius 7 2441 32 32 313 42.2 % 2496 31.9 %

For comparison we have
26 Hiarcs 11.1 UCI 2855 17 17 1050 62.1 % 2769 34.0 %

It seems that latest hiarcs is simply more than 400 elo better than genius7 so I believe that it is also more than 300 elo better than Genius3(I assume that genius3 is not more than 100 elo better than genius7).

Uri
genorb

Post by genorb »

Hi Uri,

when I did my "weak" test with the LCTII test, I also tested the last version of Chess Genius (7.2) with that test and indeed both version (3 and 7.2) got exactly the same result. This is not enough to say that there were no improvement for Chess Genius, but this is already an indication that goes in the same direction that what you say: that is to say that Chess Genius 3 and 7.2 have essentially the same rating.

Regards,

Fabian
ruffsteve

Oldies vs. newie versions

Post by ruffsteve »

Hi guys,

So, if for example if I run the downloaded CM2000 previously rated at 1670 elo in 1990 on the Commodore Amiga, what sort of improvement in rating should I expect on a Celeron 2.6mhz processor in 2007?

I've only played a small number of blitz games versus these oldies so far and with my record in blitz its hard for me to assess. :oops:

I will, when I have time play one or two games against a couple of my dedicated machines and post to the forum.

Regards Steve
Love wooden chess computers......you PC guys have no idea!!!