How to join together several small pgn files.

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Plozikou

How to join together several small pgn files.

Post by Plozikou »

Hello, I would like to find a simple tool to join together several small pgn files. Do you know a little Windows software which does that (no DOS software please :x ). I don’t want to install a large and complicated chess data base.

Thank you.

Daniel. :wink:

www.boris-is-king.com
Collectionneur de Boris et d'ordinateurs d'échecs à clavier. Boris and keyboard chess computer collector.
cwb

Post by cwb »

A similar question was asked on the Chessexchange forum. You might try this, does not use DOS software but does use DOS commands. I have not tried this myself but it should work if done correctly.

PGN is simple text file. You can merge them easily into one larger file with a DOS command in a DOS window.

Put all the PGN files in one directory; open a DOS window. If you're using XP, go to start > run and type CMD (command, shorthand for a command prompt)

A DOS window opens. You can type commands at the prompt.
Most likely you end somewhere in the directory
c:\documents and settings\yourname>

Browse to the directory where your PGN files are. If they're in F:\temp, type

F:
cd\temp

close every line with an <enter> of course, and you're in the correct location.

Now type

copy *.pgn all.pgn

All PGN-files will be merged into the all.pgn file, which you can open with Fritz.
Jeroen van Dorp provided the above quoted solution.

A link to the forum thread the solution was provided in:

http://www.chessexchange.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3842
cwb

Post by cwb »

One more thing, I probably don't have to say this but for completeness I will.

In the above directions given by Jeroen where he writes:
Put all the PGN files in one directory;
Just copy your pgn files into that one directory and keep the originals, or keep copies of the original files, in case something happens to go wrong. That way the originals will not be destroyed, and you will still have them. Good Luck!!