Collector´s Corner: The Future of the Savant!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Jose

Collector´s Corner: The Future of the Savant!

Post by Jose »

Hi all,

this nice guy will sell a lot defects Savant´s...

5 Savant´s

Perhaps after his first purchase years ago of one Savant he was annoyed that the Unit does not work and he decided to try again and again and again and always he still wonder that all were defect! :wink:

Now he decided to sell all his false puchases and perhaps in the near future Arno will find a possibility to animate again all Savants...and this guy will annoyed again :(

Hope for new face Regards José :idea: :?:
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Collector´s Corner: The Future of the Savant!

Post by Steve B »

Jose wrote:Hi all,

this nice guy will sell a lot defects Savant´s...

5 Savant´s

Perhaps after his first purchase years ago of one Savant he was annoyed that the Unit does not work and he decided to try again and again and again and always he still wonder that all were defect! :wink:

Now he decided to sell all his false puchases and perhaps in the near future Arno will find a possibility to animate again all Savants...and this guy will annoyed again :(

Hope for new face Regards José :idea: :?:
hi Jose
i think you are exactly correct

i have seen many supposedly knowledgeable Collectors make this mistake time and time again
they hope that they will win the lottery and the Servant being offered on Ebay will work

sadly it will never be

Forlorn Regards
Steve
Jose

Post by Jose »

Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote: sadly it will never be
If Arno sometime say there is no way for repair, then i also say "sadly it will never be" but up to then i will hope! :wink:

Arno´s Thread

Pray Regards José
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Jose wrote:Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote: sadly it will never be
If Arno sometime say there is no way for repair, then i also say "sadly it will never be" but up to then i will hope! :wink:

Arno´s Thread

Pray Regards José
yes a statement from 3 months ago

Arno will get nowhere
just as he was unable to Repair de Gorters R40

It is of course possible he might find a way to MODIFY the Savant and somehow replace the chemical based touch screen used in the Savant with a modern day LED touch screen
but this would be of no interest to me whatsoever

it is hopeless

you can take that to the bank Regards
Steve
Jose

Post by Jose »

Steve B wrote: Arno will get nowhere
just as he was unable to Repair dE Gorters R40
Oh, now i know five R40 Owners. Remains still 15! :shock:
Steve B wrote: It is of course possible he might find a way to MODIFY the Savant and somehow replace the chemical based touch screen used in the Savant with a modern day LED touch screen
Yes that is correct, it is not original and "only" modify, but you have then the chance to see them play? That is the reason why i find that project great! I do not own any Savant´s, but i thought you can only play with him if you have a display?!

Interesting to see the different way of playing Savants Regards José
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Jose wrote:
Steve B wrote: It is of course possible he might find a way to MODIFY the Savant and somehow replace the chemical based touch screen used in the Savant with a modern day LED touch screen
Yes that is correct, it is not original and "only" modify, but you have then the chance to see them play? That is the reason why i find that project great! I do not own any Savant´s, but i thought you can only play with him if you have a display?!

the Savants can still play
but you cannot see the pieces
i have two Savants (FROM 3 Savant I's a Savant II and a Savant Royale)with working processors
if you connect the Novag Printer and if the touch screen will still recognize the humans touch.then a game can be played and the moves printed out by the printer with diagrams
IF the screen will not recognize the touch then you can set the computer to "auto play" or replay a Classic game and the moves will be printed with diagrams as well

also the program in the Savant I is the same as in the Novag Robot so you can see how the MyChess Program By Kittinger plays(there are differences in book size and hardware but the program is the same)

Best
Steve
Jose

Post by Jose »

Steve B wrote:
Jose wrote:

the Savants can still play
but you cannot see the pieces
i have two Savants (FROM 3 Savant I's a Savant II and a Savant Royale)with working processors
if you connect the Novag Printer and if the touch screen will still recognize the humans touch.then a game can be played and the moves printed out by the printer with diagrams
IF the screen will not recognize the touch then you can set the computer to "auto play" or replay a Classic game and the moves will be printed with diagrams as well

also the program in the Savant I is the same as in the Novag Robot so you can see how the MyChess Program By Kittinger plays

Best
Steve
Hi Steve,

okay, that will explain many.
No i understand why a functioning modify display is not high priority for you and perhaps other collectors too.
Okay now i know how to do - if i get a Savant i must also look for a printer :wink:

Very important informations Regards José
Jose

Post by Jose »

Here is a nice statement from Tom in other forum Ismenio, here you see also a nice Galaxy :D . :D
"I'm still hoping rather vainly that one day Novag will produce an LCD screen to replace the faulty screens in all the Savants that are left. After all, this was a clear failure by Novag!"
sadly, it will never be :wink:

An one more great found. Look this sentence on the original box:

"Der Inbegriff für richtungsweisende Technologie. Elegant und superflach nur 3,5cm hoch." :lol:

My English is to bad to translate this funny sentence, but it general says that this computer has a new technology which is first and best for the future. :roll: :wink:

Savant Regards José
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Jose wrote:Here is a nice statement from Tom in other forum Ismenio, here you see also a nice Galaxy :D . :D
"I'm still hoping rather vainly that one day Novag will produce an LCD screen to replace the faulty screens in all the Savants that are left. After all, this was a clear failure by Novag!"
sadly, it will never be :wink:

An one more great found. Look this sentence on the original box:

"Der Inbegriff für richtungsweisende Technologie. Elegant und superflach nur 3,5cm hoch." :lol:

My English is to bad to translate this funny sentence, but it general says that this computer has a new technology which is first and best for the future. :roll: :wink:

Savant Regards José
yes Jose..
the touch screen technology for 1981 was ground breaking
but sadly it was faulty

my Savant screen only lasted for about 5 years and then was already defective

and of course the photo is of no Galaxy
it think he has a Sphinx Commander

there is the only ONE Galaxy CXG ever released for sale:

and also here:

Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy Regards
Steve
mclane

Post by mclane »

it COULD be that those 5 savants ARE arnos !
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

mclane wrote:it COULD be that those 5 savants ARE arnos !

:P Regards :P
Steve
Jose

Post by Jose »

Hi Steve,

okay, i think you are right. I only said "Galaxy" because Tom named it like that.
He also have on his homepage one "Galaxy plastic" (like yours), one "Galaxy Mark II" and "Galaxy wood" (you said it is a commander).
I only wonder why on the CXG wooden board are no letters which descripe the board better?

CXG Regards José
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

okay, i think you are right. I only said "Galaxy" because Tom named it like that.
He also have on his homepage one "Galaxy plastic" (like yours), one "Galaxy Mark II" and "Galaxy wood" (you said it is a commander).
I only wonder why on the CXG wooden board are no letters which descripe the board better?

CXG Regards José
hi Jose
yes there is a Galaxy Mark II
but there is no wooden Galaxy

there is only ONE CXG Galaxy as i have already shown

i guess you have to ask this collector why he incorrectly labels his Commander. it could also be a Sphinx 40/50 but i cannot see the modules from the photo
also the back of the board will also sometimes have a label as my Sphinx 40 and Sphinx 50 which mentions the name

Best
Steve
Jose

Post by Jose »

Steve B wrote:

CXG Regards José
hi Jose

i guess you have to ask this collector why he incorrectly labels his Commander. it could also be a Sphinx 40/50 but i cannot see the modules from the photo
also the back of the board will also sometimes have a label as my Sphinx 40 and Sphinx 50 which mentions the name

Best
Steve
I have asked Tom, and he post some better photos Look here! You can see now the modules better and bigger, perhaps you can say more?
Tom tells that there are no letters and more describe codes/words on the unit. He got a manual named "Galaxy" which was together with the wooden unit and it works fine with the computer.

Detective Regards José
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Jose wrote:
Steve B wrote:

CXG Regards José
hi Jose

Best
Steve
I have asked Tom, and he post some better photos Look here! You can see now the modules better and bigger, perhaps you can say more?
Tom tells that there are no letters and more describe codes/words on the unit. He got a manual named "Galaxy" which was together with the wooden unit and it works fine with the computer.

Detective Regards José
yes it is clear Jose
it is the Commander

i do not own the Commander
i have all Holz CXG's except the Commander:
40LE

the Commander is VERY rare
now as you know i do have a Galaxy which is not rare

if your friend Tom wants to have a real Galaxy ..then i would be more then happy to trade my Galaxy for his Commander

then he can keep the title of the photo the same

:P Regards
Steve