Novag Super Constellation Programming

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
kosterix

Novag Super Constellation Programming

Post by kosterix »

Hi, I just got a Super Constellation. You don't want to know how much it cost me.
From reading the manual it seems one can enter openings by some kind of programming.
However from the original manual I couldn't find out how to get the conny to actually allow entering openings, does anyone know how to do this?

Also, are there some interesting openings you would recommend adding to it? It seems to have 20k openings already, so all in all I'm quite happy with the thing.

TIA
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Novag Super Constellation Programming

Post by Steve B »

kosterix wrote:However from the original manual I couldn't find out how to get the conny to actually allow entering openings, does anyone know how to do this?
Are you sure you have a complete manual?
there are 6 pages of instructions on programming the opening book
starting with Paragraph 24...page 12

http://alain.zanchetta.free.fr/docs/Nov ... ion_EN.pdf

Incomplete Regards
Steve
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

very sure. I see the flowcharts but no idea how to enter them.
The overlay is on a separate sheet.
But how do I tell the machine I want to enter a library, in other words, how to get the machine from play mode to learn library mode.

Perhaps there is a button on it "program" or something that i missed?
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

kosterix wrote:very sure. I see the flowcharts but no idea how to enter them.
The overlay is on a separate sheet.
But how do I tell the machine I want to enter a library, in other words, how to get the machine from play mode to learn library mode.

Perhaps there is a button on it "program" or something that i missed?
so you are missing the overlay?
well the manual states that by pressing PRO-OP I and then PRO-OP II
you enter the programming mode
but you need the overlay to show which function keys these correspond to
overlay has 9 programming keys ..the normal board ..2 rows of 8 keys
so its 9 keys out of 16 that are used
not sure if I still have the overlay
if I do ill post which keys the programming keys correspond to

No Way Without Overlay Regards
Steve
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

no i have it. Just wanted to know the button that starts the Enter library stuff, but somehow I seem unable to make clear what the problem is, I give up.
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Man, am I happy I found a complete copy of this classic a few years ago. I've never tried to use the programmed book feature, but it would be a kick to know if anyone has, and the results they've achieved. Super Connie appears to be unique on this front.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Wixxy

Post by Wixxy »

My Novag Scorpio has programmable opening feature of upto 1000 half moves.Page 9 of manual.Its not a feature i've ever bothered with to be honest.I cant really be fussed with openings and opening theory anyway.Dont see the point in trying to memorize billions of moves....would rather just play chess.
Regards
Wixxy
BillT

Post by BillT »

Of the Models I own the following have the programmable library function,but too fiddly for me to mess about with too -- especially as everything is lost as soon as you have to do an ACL reset. (not sure if this wouldnt be so if you put batteries in ,but I dont do that....too risky !)
I can see the use for someone more serious though.

Novag Super Forte
Novag Star Diamond...(I imagine most of the upper end of Novag too)
Saitek Stratos
Saitek Corona
Saitek TurboKing

I could do with a programmable memory in my head to prevent memory loss these days.......regards.
Bill
mychess

Post by mychess »

Hi Kosterix,

After a lack of memory, it is a lack of keys... :wink:
I hope that "You're right, that was not false advertising, it was a big blatant lie." will soon be proven to be false. :wink:

Now the revamping of the keyboard for programming the opening:

PRO-OP I => Set Level
PRO-OP II => Print Board
START => Multi Move
LARGE BOOK => Player/Player
ENTER => New Game
PRIORITY => Solve Mat
CLEAR BOOK => Clear Board
DELETE => Take Back
GO => GO

Cordialy,

Mychess.
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Greetings fellow Novag enthusiasts!

Several of our old Novag machines (Super Connie, Forte, Diamond, Star Diamond, etc.) had the 2k EEPROM (programmable book) in addition to the comparatively generous sized permanent ROM opening book. What I liked about this was the option of having the unit use only your book, only its own book, or a combination of both. It even allowed you to assign priorities to individual moves on a branching off point.

That said, what I deeply regretted about this feature, however, was that unless you connected your unit to your PC with the included serial cable and backed up your data to your HD, floppy, etc., all of your toil invested in creating your book would for naught once static buildup within the machine corrupted your data.

:x [Pro-Op] [Delete] Regards,
John
kosterix

for sale!

Post by kosterix »