Received my Square Off board today

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Alain wrote:I exchanged a couple of mails with Square Off team: obviously, they do not understand how poor their application is and how it is definitely a show stopper for their product.
Square Off guy told me that they would eventually release the API / protocol... I definitely think that it's mandatory given the current app, and I would advise against buying the board before.

-Alain
Thanks Alain for that hard hitting scathing report

Disgraceful Regards
Steve
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

I've added my concerns on the quality of the Android application with the Square Off team. They appear confident that the app will undergo massive changes in the next couple of months, so we can only hope that they deliver.

Again they said they would consider releasing the API. I did suggest that releasing the API would buy them time to polish their own app......

Next update on my board is now 15th March......... so hopefully the app will be sorted before it arrives!
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi all,

I just got notification that’s mine is on route. However they want me to pay $75 VAT duty, has anyone else seen this?

Al.
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

I have to pay $52 VAT - that's according to 19% German VAT for the Kingdom Set I ordered light years ago! I didn't take this payment into account up to now...

Tax, tax, tax Regards, Michael
Four.nine

Post by Four.nine »

Open letter to all Square Off "posters":

Thank you for the informative information. Based on the info,
I'll give you three guesses as to who will NOT be buying a Square Off:
The first two don't count , but here is a hint:
Someone between 4.8 and 5.0.
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

yep, had to pay $75 VAT too.

What can you do but pay it?!
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Wardy wrote:I've added my concerns on the quality of the Android application with the Square Off team. They appear confident that the app will undergo massive changes in the next couple of months, so we can only hope that they deliver.

Again they said they would consider releasing the API. I did suggest that releasing the API would buy them time to polish their own app......

Next update on my board is now 15th March......... so hopefully the app will be sorted before it arrives!
Had an application update for the square off android app........ can't see any new features as mentioned above........ :roll:
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi Paul,

That’s not good. have you had a VAT request, what’s the status of your board?

Al.
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Before I pulled out of the project, I made two enquiries.

Question 1:
What happens if my Square Off board goes faulty?
Answer 1:
If it's was a software fault then they would rectify it remotely.
If it was a hardware fault then I would have to pay and send it back!!

Question 2:
Would I have to pay Import duty and VAT
Answer 2:
They couldn't at that time give me a definite answer but would find out.
They never got back to me and the next thing that happened was the trouble they had with the bank accounts not being set up correctly.
When that happened I decided not to reinvest.

Dragons Den Regards
I'm Out
Scally

Post by Scally »

Scally wrote:Hi Paul,

That’s not good. have you had a VAT request, what’s the status of your board?

Al.

Ah, just seen your previous reply, sorry ....

Al.
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

ChessHouse

Square Off, a diamond in the rough

Post by ChessHouse »

Hi all,

We've received some boards, unboxed one(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJpzl3qlE8), and had a change to explore it a little (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3k5ecltuQA).

A Few Observations:
1) The target market is not the chess professional (at this point), but rather the person that wants a quick way to play chess against a computer or a person through the app as if there was a person sitting across from them (no leds, spoken moves, etc) with minimal effort.
2) Some of the features they promised during their kickstarter campaign and in emails I had with the designers have yet to show up in this first production run. :cry:
3) However....One key plus side is that they've created a device where the firmware and app changes/updates can be delivered across the board very quickly (pun intended)--unlike other electronic units that require more user effort to accomplish the same thing.
4) Feedback can be given directly through the app too. I would imagine that they can also see stats on how the app is being used, which means they can rapidly improve it as it gains wider acceptance.

All said, I wouldn't count this one out. If Square Off can make fast changes to improve based upon public interest and data they get from the app, they can really deliver a stellar product that will expand interest in the electronic chess.

... and if anyone is interested and doesn't want to wait for the second production run, we listed one on Ebay: :wink:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192517124366

Remaining Hopeful,
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Square Off, a diamond in the rough

Post by Steve B »

ChessHouse wrote:
3) However....One key plus side is that they've created a device where the firmware and app changes/updates can be delivered across the board very quickly (pun intended)--unlike other electronic units that require more user effort to accomplish the same thing.

All said, I wouldn't count this one out. ,

Thanks for the sales pitch
Robotic chess playing computers have always had a very checkered past with high defect rates
so if this Robot can move the pieces and show low defect rates then it certainly is an accomplishment to be applauded
however ... sadly.. i consider this "plus" you mention ..to actually be a minus
now if they scrap the smart phone interface all together and redesign the board to enable access to all of the settings and options (keyboard or buttons)

Then you can...

Count Me In Regards
Steve
ChessHouse

Post by ChessHouse »

I agree Steve... it remains to be seen for sure!

The app choice is a bit of a double edge sword and I have pondered the downside as well... they will potentially face more and more version maintenance as time goes on, accounting for different devices and OS version... but maybe it's no different than DGT dealing with PCs though.

I don't see it too difficult a leap for them to connect to a PC or laptop with bluetooth on Windows 10 though. If they truly wanted to push the envelope, they would make it work with Apple...
Oh, you caught that :oops:

Sub·tle·ty yours,
Paul
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

ChessHouse wrote:
Oh, you caught that :oops:
Not meant as a critique
you are welcome to announce the availability of new dedicated chess computer products in you shop here
actually i purchased my last few computers from your shop and found you to be fast and reliable ..those weekly Sunday afternoon(Eastern Time) emails announcing new products and specials are part of my

Required Weekend Reading Regards
Steve