Wikispaces is shutting down!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
BenRedic

Wikispaces is shutting down!

Post by BenRedic »

Just visited the Chess Programming WIKI (https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/) today, and saw a notice that Wikispaces will go down by the end of july :-(

See http://blog.wikispaces.com/

I'm mirroring the CPW as we speak...
Thank you for an interesting game.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Thanx for the info Ben.
Too bad they are closing down :-(

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Gerd Isenberg who runs that site is probably looking for another place to host it. I doubt very much that he will allow it to disappear.
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

No bucks, no service.

Post by Fernando »

The problem with all these services in Internet is that everybody feel bad when they must close, but almost nobody is ready to put even a buck to sustain them.
It is like we all suppose that anything Internet is and must be free for ever, with no cost for nobody, specially for the one that created it, pay it, sustain it, make it and preserve it.

Not in Alice wonderlands regards
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: No bucks, no service.

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:The problem with all these services in Internet is that everybody feel bad when they must close, but almost nobody is ready to put even a buck to sustain them.
It is like we all suppose that anything Internet is and must be free for ever, with no cost for nobody, specially for the one that created it, pay it, sustain it, make it and preserve it.

That is exactly correct
Internet must be free and yet we all live in a world where nothing is free
take this forum as an example
there are folks who come here every day...and some...many times a day
if we were to ask for a $1 per year membership fee..membership would decrease by 97.5%

If Not More Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:The problem with all these services in Internet is that everybody feel bad when they must close, but almost nobody is ready to put even a buck to sustain them.

That is exactly correct
Internet must be free and yet we all live in a world where nothing is free
take this forum as an example
there are folks who come here every day...and some...many times a day
if we were to ask for a $1 per year membership fee..membership would decrease by 97.5%

If Not More Regards
Steve

This forum exist, to be frank and even almost brutal, because Hiarcs people think that it is a way to keep a certain probable amount of customers for each new hiarcs incarnation. Same with the ICC thing. Perhaps, also, the extra cost of this, the marginal cost of a service they must have anyway for the business, make the financial part of the affair something sustainable. Whatever.
I would and could pay that extra buck if the case arises as in fact i do with many sites dedicated, say, to sustain animals, plant trees, a you tube place which I like, etc, BUT I suppose to be member of a not very massive class of people.

Always prepared to drop a dollar regards
F
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Yep. I am already waiting for years for that free e-book from F. Villegas :-P

Free chesscomputers for all regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
This forum exist, to be frank and even almost brutal, because Hiarcs people think that it is a way to keep a certain probable amount of customers for each new hiarcs incarnation
that may be true but this was not my point
my point was simply...ask folks who use this site each and every day to cough up a buck a year and membership will nose dive...because this is an Internet Site and by an act of God..it must be free forever

Divine Intervention Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
This forum exist, to be frank and even almost brutal, because Hiarcs people think that it is a way to keep a certain probable amount of customers for each new hiarcs incarnation
that may be true but this was not my point
my point was simply...ask folks who use this site each and every day to cough up a buck a year and membership will nose dive...because this is an Internet Site and by an act of God..it must be free forever

Divine Intervention Regards
Steve
Of course it is so.
We are deteriorating from a condition of normal adult human beings to that of spoiled intolerable teen agers.

old man regards
F
Festina Lente
BenRedic

Post by BenRedic »

spacious_mind wrote:Gerd Isenberg who runs that site is probably looking for another place to host it. I doubt very much that he will allow it to disappear.
Indeed. https://www.chessprogramming.org
Thank you for an interesting game.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

BenRedic wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:Gerd Isenberg who runs that site is probably looking for another place to host it. I doubt very much that he will allow it to disappear.
Indeed. https://www.chessprogramming.org

Yes I am pleased to see this site open again. It has a lot of good information.

Regards

Nick
Nick