list of our chess computers , let's share it

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

paulwise3 wrote:
blaubaer wrote:Hi,

this is my list.

Collector's Regards, Michael
Hi Michael,

That is really a quite impressive collection!!
I also own about 140 computers, but the majority is below 2100 wiki elo, and plastic.

Admiring regards,
Paul
Paul,

That's funny, I remember a few years ago when you were worried about Wife beating you up for having about 30. Now its 140!!! lol.... watch out for the baseball bat! :)

Regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

blaubaer wrote:Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote:You have an original EAG v10???
:shock:
this was modified to run at 33 Mhz(normal is 25)??

Stunned Regards
Steve
That's not a original pcb - it's a clone, which I built into a EAG 2100 housing. :P

Regards, Michael

Ahhhh
OK

Never Mind Regards
Steve
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Check out what I just got in the mail:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ePNDU4 ... sp=sharing
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi,
I apologize for the length of this post - did not want to share a flat list.
So my chess computers: from lower to higher end, and why did I choose them...

First of all I am mostly found of computer chess - including software - and dedicated units are part of this. Some drivers for my choices: various programmers, various constructors, various CPUs, various strengths, power mains adaptor, not too big nor too expensive, press sensitive board as a preferred input system... So let's list:

- Applied Concept/Chafitz Boris (David Lindsey) - a very early one, unique form factor with its wood box, so old-fashioned with its red-lighted display but a sophisticated one, able to display a whole line of pieces symbols... Position verify and setup are really user-friendly compared to others from the same early days! Low computing power with a 1Mhz F8 running a 2.5K program. A nice feeling to touch history while using it!

- Saitek Calculator Chess (Craig Barns) - the only one I own working on battery, a weak 2k program powered (?) by a calculator microcontroller able to manage a large LCD display. Level setting is a bit crappy but it is so pretty with its hidden tiny chessboard! I bought it for a very low cost.

- Novag Octo (Dave Kittinger) - another 2k weak one, but a Kittinger! The 80C49 is a low cost microcontroller efficient to manage many input/output ports, that is why it has been used to manage PC keyboards and why it was a good choice to power a low-cost push-sensory board. Yes, the Octo has the computing power of a PC keyboard! I got mine for a marginal cost.

- Novag Chess Champion Super System III (Mike Johnson) - another oldie, but a high-end one back to its birthtime, with a 8k program and a 2Mhz 6502 (twice an Apple II or Commodore 64 power!). The keyboard scan is a bit touchy on mine, I need to briefly hit keys to avoid erratic inputs (no lasting press). In addition, it hangs if left on but unused a quarter of an hour (no issue while playing continuously for hours). Many functions, a bit uneasy to use. Weak despite its hardware.

- Fidelity Chess Challenger 7 (Ron Nelson) - MY chess computer - the one I bought brand new when I was a student, with which I played hundreds of games (can't remember loosing a single one, maybe my selective memory?), performed days & nights analysis... A fast Z80 (advertised 4Mhz, actually 3.6) while my model I TRS-80 was stucked at 1.77Mhz...until I overclocked it successfully to 2.66Mhz. Of course I tried the same with my beloved CC7 and ruined it. I bought my current CC7 years later, a few years ago. Prices are not high on this most common one... I still love its dancing display. And I love winning at chess!

- Yeno 320XT (Kaare Danielsen) - I wanted the famous 4k program from Kaare, a Yeno was a good choice as quite common in France (Yeno designed its chess computers here). It is the only 4k I own able to ponder, the first within this list. The press sensitive keyboard is quite rude, the strength slightly above the CC7. Powered by a 68HC05 at 2Mhz, it offers 4 styles of play. I had fun performing many tests trying to figure out whether aggressive was best for white, defensive best for black, or other combination... Normal style revealed to be the best balance.

- Novag Carnelian II (Dave Kittinger) - I bought it boxed as brand new at a reasonnable price, the press sensitive chessboard is very soft & smooth and wood pieces are nice (small) ones. Low/Average strenght, using a 8Mhz unnamed microcontroller but very similar in strenght as older Novag/Kittinger chess computers using a 8Mhz 6301Y (this being external clocking, the CPU computes with 2Mhz actual speed). Thus my guess is it uses a 6301y clone. Too bad it is unable to ponder, despite its 16k program. Maybe due to a very tiny RAM (768 bytes, less than 1k!). I played or witnessed boring games as well as brilliant ones (once it takes an advantage, yes it can be brilliant!)

- Scisys Kasparov Chess Companion III (Julio Kaplan) - another 8Mhz 6301Y, 16k program, to my opinion very nice to play, rather human style - can blunder despite its chess knowledge. Quite rare & interesting feature, it is known for pondering 3 principal variants instead of a single one. Seems true as far as I can check its fast responses. Can only play white from top of board. Using it decided me to search & buy a more advanced Kaplan chess computer (read below...). Starting from this one, all below chess computers are able to ponder.

- Mephisto Mirage + modular board (T Nitsche, E Henne) - I wanted the famous 'brikett' program but was reluctant for another keyboard input in my collection; the Mirage using the Mephisto II program on a slightly speeded up 1806 CPU (8Mhz) was a good opportunity to associate this program with a sensitive board. A very good choice as the module's keyboard use revealed quite unfriendly while the modular board lets me avoid using it in most usual situations. Nitsche/Henne program is reknown for its human style of play (selective careful lowspeed evaluation, as an opposite to fast brute force). A pleasure to play considering my low/average chess skills.

- Fidelity Chess Challenger Sensory 9b (Dan & Kathe Spracklen). I like Spracklen programs, I got found of chess programs playing Sargon II (and beating it at correspondance chess level on a friend's Apple II, the guy thought his computer was unbeatable, ah ah). The Sensory 9 (program is based on Sargon III) is a milestone in dedicated units history as being a really solid player at an affordable cost. I like its solid but still beatable play, its big old leds, one per square, and its design. According to its serial number mine seems to belong to an early 9b series, according to tests the 6502 speed is 1.8Mhz (2Mhz is the usual value for a 9b, while 1.6 for a 9). It sometimes hangs with dying buzzer funny noises (heating issue?) but has always recovered after some rest, up today...

- CXG Super Enterprise (Kaare Danielsen) - I wanted Kaare's 16K program, used to search each one from the list of computers holding it, and finally found the Super Enterprise. A nice large plastic board with nice pieces, a 'standard' 6301Y 8Mhz included inside this average class chess computer, I would qualify its play as fun - blend of solid and weak moves.

- Mephisto Europa A (Franz Morsch) - easy to find at affordable price on German eBay, this one is the strongest 6301Y - 16k class computer (8Mhz clock, 2Mhz CPU). Based on Nona, it is a fast computing tactical program. Some low skills (endgame, strategic) but killing tactical ability regarding its rather poor hardware power. The push sensitive chessboard is a bit tough and keys as well, board & pieces size a bit small, but the price and strength balance all these.

- Tandy Chess Champion 2150 (Julio Kaplan) - there we are with the Chess Companion III big brother. The 72k ROM includes a huge opening book, the CPU is a fast (everything being relative) 3Mhz 6502, it seems to be one of the latest (if not the last) Kaplan program. A knowledge based program thus a tough human-like player - I expect to be able to beat it sometimes (I got it too recently to be sure of that). The sophisticated display (including a 2D chessboard view) reveals Kaplan abandonned the triple PV pondering (I am a bit disappointed). Plays white from top of board only.

- Fidelity Excellence (Dan & Kathe Spracklen) - MY second historical chess computer, bought brand new with one of my first paychecks. A breakthrough shock knowing my previous one was the CC7 few years before. Can't remind loosing to the CC7, can't remind winning to the Excellence! It is a 16K program on a 3Mhz 6502, it evolved from Sargon III and the Sensory 9, the thick flat design is all but elegant but apart from a few opening bugs, it is a beast for me.

- Yeno 532XL (Ulf Rathsman) - the first Yeno and the strongest one, a 32k program (close to the Mephisto MM II) on a good hardware: 4Mhz 6502, 8k RAM, powerful at a low price. The set of pieces is low quality plastic and poorly designed. I had issues beyond one hour playing time, with ranges of squares turning to off-sensitive. Restored after resting and cooling, I opened it and disassembled it, drilled holes in the bottom plastic casing around the hotest spot, then reassembled it carefully. Never encountered this issue again.

- Saitek GK2000 (Franz Morsch) - a big brother to the Mephisto Europa, the 16k program belongs to Fritz 1 family, it is again a powerful tactical one. I wanted a H8 CPU in my small collection, the 20Mhz external clocking provides 10Mhz actual CPU speed with a computing power roughly equivalent to a 6.5 Mhz 6502. Despite its strenght I hope I will be able to beat it in a very careful playing sustained until endgame, most probably its weak skill.

- Novag Emerald Classic (Dave Kittinger) - my top powerful one, with 32k of chess knowledge and powered by a 26.6 Mhz H8 (13.3 Mhz computing). It competes in overall strenght with the GK2000, but I have no hope to beat this one, too tough a player for me.

Kind regards, Eric
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Tibono2 wrote:Hi, I apologize for the length of this post - did not want to share a flat list. So my chess computers: from lower to higher end, and why did I choose them...

Kind regards, Eric
Hi Eric,
An excellent summary of your very nice collection. A very informative and enjoyable read.

Thank you,
Dave
Dave C

New Exclusive

Post by Dave C »

TracySMiller wrote:Check out what I just got in the mail:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ePNDU4 ... sp=sharing
Hi Tracy,
The packaging for the Exclusive you purchased looks to be in great condition. Hopefully the board inside looks like new also. Did it come with the MM VI modules?

High hopes,
Dave
TracySMiller

Re: New Exclusive

Post by TracySMiller »

Dave C wrote:Hi Tracy,
The packaging for the Exclusive you purchased looks to be in great condition. Hopefully the board inside looks like new also. Did it come with the MM VI modules?

High hopes,
Dave
No, just the MMV module, but the unit looks and plays great! Although it took me longer than it should've to figure out where to put the batteries! I'd love to start shopping around for some other modules one day, but I need to reign in my spending for a while before I jeopardize my retirement future!
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

TracySMiller wrote:
Dave C wrote:Hi Tracy,

High hopes,
Dave
No, just the MMV module, but the unit looks and plays great! Although it took me longer than it should've to figure out where to put the batteries! I'd love to start shopping around for some other modules one day, but I need to reign in my spending for a while before I jeopardize my retirement future!
lol.... did it not come with a power supply? If so then you should get a 220 to 110 V power converter and plug it into that. I have a couple that I use all the time to save digging out the US equivalent power supply. I seem to have over the years collected more German power supplies than U.S. so the power converters come in handy rather than spending time searching in which boxes I have the U.S. versions.

This sort of looks like the ones I have been using for years:

https://www.ebay.com/p/VCT-Vt-100gs-Ste ... 0005.m1851

They come in handy as well as giving me an extra extension at the same time.

Regards
Nick
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Great suggestions, spacious_mind. The power adapter I have for the unit is the one with the two round prongs, which of course won't work here in Tennessee!
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

Love seeing some of these huge collection, myself not really a collector just have the 3 in my signature. There again I only like playing on real wood boards and pieces. My favourite one is not strong but what a joy to play it's built so well the RFT Chess-Master it must be a latter run as it's marked 4MHz on the board. The Mephisto's are also great to play mind you the ESB needs a lot of room :-)
King Performance Chess Computer M830
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

pr1uk wrote:Love seeing some of these huge collection, myself not really a collector just have the 3 in my signature. There again I only like playing on real wood boards and pieces. My favourite one is not strong but what a joy to play it's built so well the RFT Chess-Master it must be a latter run as it's marked 4MHz on the board. The Mephisto's are also great to play mind you the ESB needs a lot of room :-)
you must be a man of tremendous will power
3 dedicated computers and you stop it there

as you can see from some of the posts here..folks start off with a few computers ..they profess that they will not be buying many more...a few months go buy and they report a 10-20 fold increase in their collections..more months go by..more computers .. and so on
soon they are short on storage space and must move to larger homes to accommodate their collections
eventually fights break out with their spouses and marital relations are damaged (sometimes irrevocably)

Collecting Can Be A Harsh Mistress Regards
Steve
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

blaubaer wrote:Hi Paul,
paulwise3 wrote: Hi Michael,

I also own about 140 computers, but the majority is below 2100 wiki elo, and plastic.

Admiring regards,
Paul
let's talk about it in Klingenberg in April this year... :wink:

Regards, Michael
Yes, let us do that Michael, with a good glass of Hefeweizen at hand ;-)

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

spacious_mind wrote:
paulwise3 wrote:
blaubaer wrote:Hi,

this is my list.

Collector's Regards, Michael
Hi Michael,

Admiring regards,
Paul
Paul,

That's funny, I remember a few years ago when you were worried about Wife beating you up for having about 30. Now its 140!!! lol.... watch out for the baseball bat! :)

Regards
Hi Nick,

It seems that she has settled herself in me having this virus ;-)
And right now there is not much left that I can collect, because that are all those expensive ones that are above my budget.
Anyhow I am very satisfied with my collection so far, including
- a Renaissance board with Sparc and Brute Force module and
- Mephisto Exclusive boards with the Magellan and Polgar and a number of other modules.
- And I have a Galileo with the Analyst D+ 6MHz.
- The Novag Citrine is there too, and
- the Mephisto Academy.
The wooden boards I still do miss are the nice wooden Fidelities.
I am afraid they are a bridge to far, but you never know if I have another lucky day... ;-)

Skating gold medal regards,
Paul
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

spacious_mind wrote:... then you should get a 220 to 110 V power converter and plug it into that. I have a couple that I use all the time to save digging out the US equivalent power supply. I seem to have over the years collected more German power supplies than U.S. so the power converters come in handy rather than spending time searching in which boxes I have the U.S. versions.

This sort of looks like the ones I have been using for years:

https://www.ebay.com/p/VCT-Vt-100gs-Ste ... 0005.m1851

They come in handy as well as giving me an extra extension at the same time.

Regards
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the link to the voltage converter. I have worked to find the appropriate USA transformer equivalents for the many 220v psu's that I have received with chess computers from Europe. Following your link I ordered a converter and it is working fine. Now I can use the original psu's. :D

Thanks,
Dave
paulwise3

I won in Klingenberg!

Post by paulwise3 »

spacious_mind wrote: Paul,

Regards
And finally this collecting virus payed out: My Mephisto Academy won the first prize at the Klingenberg U1982 tournament last weekend! :-D
After two bad luck second places last year in Leiden (Saitek Blitz) and Kaufbeuren (Krypton Challenge 15 MHz), this time a rather lucky win.

Now I can retire in peace regards,
Paul