HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index HIARCS Chess Forums
World Championship winning computer chess software program & downloads for chess database, analysis and play on PC, Mac and iPhone

QuestionsQuestions   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

An Analysis of Chess Program playing style over the years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Main Lobby / General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author
scandien

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: An Analysis of Chess Program playing style over the years. Reply with quote

Hello,

I have just finished a study on the style of playing of Chess machines.

Detailled informations can be found here :

http://lechiquier-orseen.pagesperso-orange.fr/Engines_styles/Chess_engines_style_en.html

My impressions:

If at the beginning machines were too low in strategy to be able to reach the level of an expert player, the programs managed to create programs which managed finally to emulate a kind of planning and of strategic vision.

From now on, the new programs play in a more well-balanced way, and either real weaknesses.
It is easier now to be able to make correspond the style of game(set,play) of machines to certain champions of past, because previously machines had a style of game(set,play) by too defensive.

Best regards

Nicolas
spacious_mind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: An Analysis of Chess Program playing style over the year Reply with quote

scandien wrote:
Hello,

I have just finished a study on the style of playing of Chess machines.

Detailled informations can be found here :

http://lechiquier-orseen.pagesperso-orange.fr/Engines_styles/Chess_engines_style_en.html

My impressions:

If at the beginning machines were too low in strategy to be able to reach the level of an expert player, the programs managed to create programs which managed finally to emulate a kind of planning and of strategic vision.

From now on, the new programs play in a more well-balanced way, and either real weaknesses.
It is easier now to be able to make correspond the style of game(set,play) of machines to certain champions of past, because previously machines had a style of game(set,play) by too defensive.

Best regards

Nicolas

Hi Niolcas

That is cool. To map out a chess program and then map a GM's style and match it in your graph. Great idea. I would never have thought Fischer's style matches a Russian program Smile Smarthink 0.17 is one of my all time favorites. Would love to see it inside a Millennium 300 MHz box! Smile

Best regards
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if tactics and strategy merge into each other beyond certain threshold of analysis.
When engines went at most to 8 or 9 plies, they need certain general rules we call strategy to subsidize the lack of specific search. It is exactly what we, humans, do. But machines of old times had not that general rules. Programs were not incorporating enough rules of thumbs for that because there was another limit, memory space and speed.
Now when some machines goes easily at 30 plies in middle game, general rules are not needed. Simply the engine SEE specifically what is going to happen and so does not need a rule of thumbs or the so called strategy.

Strategy is in sense the glamorous name given to guessing and/or knowledge, which it is, also, a substitute to really KNOW.

Fern
scandien

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello fernando,

all the program/machines run the Khmelnitsky test. And even for top level we can really see that some engine are using positional knowledge to select their move, whileother are really tactitian , ( this is this skill there are using the most) . Their profile really differ from each other.

Obviously if you consider Stockfish or Komodo ,their overal level is very high and the test only shows (in my view) engine's preference ( and i cannot consider this ass a weakness).

this is just a try to have a "scientist" approach of the engine style .

best regards

Nicolas
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scandien wrote:
hello fernando,

all the program/machines run the Khmelnitsky test. And even for top level we can really see that some engine are using positional knowledge to select their move, whileother are really tactitian , ( this is this skill there are using the most) . Their profile really differ from each other.

Obviously if you consider Stockfish or Komodo ,their overal level is very high and the test only shows (in my view) engine's preference ( and i cannot consider this ass a weakness).

this is just a try to have a "scientist" approach of the engine style .

best regards

Sure they still use it. Why not. It is of support anyway. Just saying that deeper and deeper search push beyond and beyond the need to recur to rules of thumbs as strategy is at the bottom.
Playing Sargon V regards
Fern

Nicolas

spacious_mind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nicolas,

OK I played around a bit with your test and tested AM68060 Sargon 3. I also plotted it and compared it with programs you tested that scored almost as high. Here is a graph:

And here is another graph of some more you tested:

You can see that the programs in the first graph are much more balanced than the programs in the second graph.

Best regards
spacious_mind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nicolas,

Here is another chart where I am try to show a bit of evolution with Stockfish as best and Rebell 5.0 included as weakest tested by you.

I am a little surprised that Stockfish did not do better at pening, Middle Game and Strategy, but otherwise you can see almost a perfect circle from Stockfish as it should be.

Also your list does not show which Stockfish, Houdini and Komodo was used.

Best regards
scandien

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the interestiong data are tuned/balanced data. The brut data are adjust to average 50. .

WHen you see a weakness in this test, working ion this weakness is the best way to improve your game.

So a perfect circle indicate a player with no weakness ( if he has a very high Rating , you can tell he is the perfect player)

Chess Champion will have no real weakness , but will prefer to play some move rather than other (tal prefer sacrifice while fischer won't )

the version :

Stockfish 6
Komodo 3
Houdini 1.5

best regards

Nicolas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Main Lobby / General Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: