Hermann and the "Deluxe" thing...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Hermann and the "Deluxe" thing...

Post by Fernando »

I wonder if it has ever given attention to this program, Hermann, no new at all, in fact present in the list of engines since ever, BUt rarely commented, neither a word about his programmer.
BTW, I have been playing -at the side of my desk as I do other things- this little Excalibur contrivance, DeLuxe, etc, well made machine with a Nelson program that plays a decent game of chess so you must be careful not to find your self lost just because you disdained it as just a 1600-1700 machine.
To play these "weaks" machines is always a good lesson of humility and a way to mantain alive the old precept that there is not a little enemy, less in chess.

Fern
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Fern,

I assume you talk about the Excalibur Deluxe Electronic Chess? Which is equivalent to the Saber IV, as they have the same model number. And it might even contain almost the same program as the Excalibur King Arthur Deluxe.
And yes, I like it too, specially as a travelling companion on my holidays, because the pieces have strong magnets which makes it almost impossible to loose one from the board ;-).
As Nick already pointed out, level 16 is not the right level for 30 sec/move.
So I play it now mostly at level 20 or level 21, in which it seems to look a ply deeper. Still beatable while you're doing other stuff in between, but right, underestimating it makes you easily overlook it's counterthreats...

Viva Nelson! regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

paulwise3 wrote:Hi Fern,

I assume you talk about the Excalibur Deluxe Electronic Chess? Which is equivalent to the Saber IV, as they have the same model number. And it might even contain almost the same program as the Excalibur King Arthur Deluxe.
And yes, I like it too, specially as a travelling companion on my holidays, because the pieces have strong magnets which makes it almost impossible to loose one from the board ;-).
As Nick already pointed out, level 16 is not the right level for 30 sec/move.
So I play it now mostly at level 20 or level 21, in which it seems to look a ply deeper. Still beatable while you're doing other stuff in between, but right, underestimating it makes you easily overlook it's counterthreats...

Viva Nelson! regards,
Paul
The Nelson case is admirable because there we have a man with lot of years at his back and nevertheless active to almost recently and even improving his craft. Clearly his last programs were lot better than the first and not only due to more prowerful hardware. You can feel how much this guy learned. A lesson to all of us.
Fern
Festina Lente