Need help on choosing between these two computer chess board

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Or you do what I do and buy both!

But be careful if you do, because one day you could trip over a stack of chess computers, the overflow that would not fit in the overstuffed closets, under the bed, or on the full shelves, and wonder, What happened? Where did these all come from??? Will my therapist be able to help me release even just a tenth of them via ebay? Or will my heirs glue them all together into a chessic coffin to bury me?

Ah, the big questions in life. Many of course can be avoided by buying just the one computer.

Just the one....

Just the one....
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

JeffB wrote:Or you do what I do and buy both!
Well Put Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

You know people complain about the plastic supposedly cheaply made Millennium Chess Genius that I am playing in the Division 3 Swiss Tournament. But you know what for $99 or what ever it cost originally (can't remember exact price now), it is a lot of fun to play.

Crazy that people should complain about its quality when you think that computers like Star Diamond and Atlanta etc cost about $500.00-$999.00 when they came out with equivalent play strength. And you can add 15-20 Years inflation to that.

I guess its hard to please everyone sometimes.

best regards
Nick
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Spacious I spoke to Richard Lang recently about the Chess genius last month.I got the impression he wasn't too impressed by it and his relationship with Millenium isn't so great. He said they hadn't bothered to send him the pro version even so he couldn't discuss that model with me. I found that strange for someone who 's software they were using.

The main problem for me would be the small led readout. But yes compared to the early comps that cost a fortune its a bargain.

Ps: your site is great and ive found it most helpful.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Peeter wrote:Spacious I spoke to Richard Lang recently about the Chess genius last month.I got the impression he wasn't too impressed by it and his relationship with Millenium isn't so great. He said they hadn't bothered to send him the pro version even so he couldn't discuss that model with me. I found that strange for someone who 's software they were using.

The main problem for me would be the small led readout. But yes compared to the early comps that cost a fortune its a bargain.

Ps: your site is great and ive found it most helpful.
Thanks, and regarding Richard Lang, that's unfortunate.

Regards
Nick
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Hi, Nick-

I'm one of the people complaining about the quality of the Millenium ChessGenius. Seriously, the machine itself is not even up to Excalibur level build quality, more like a Lexibook. The large labels on the squares are ugly and unnecessary, and I have to mash down hard on the squares with my fingers to register a move, because using the pieces, I can't get move recognition. It's just a nasty experience.

You seem to like it, and that's fine. But for me, it's unacceptable and not at all a pleasure to play. (Oh, add in that the butt-ugly pieces slide around like skaters at the Ice Capades.)

Regarding the engine itself, yeah, it's very good for the price. If only there were a way to connect an autosensory board with piece recognition...

Exclusively Regards,
Cheers,

Jeff B.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

JeffB wrote:Hi, Nick-

I'm one of the people complaining about the quality of the Millenium ChessGenius. Seriously, the machine itself is not even up to Excalibur level build quality, more like a Lexibook. The large labels on the squares are ugly and unnecessary, and I have to mash down hard on the squares with my fingers to register a move, because using the pieces, I can't get move recognition. It's just a nasty experience.

You seem to like it, and that's fine. But for me, it's unacceptable and not at all a pleasure to play. (Oh, add in that the butt-ugly pieces slide around like skaters at the Ice Capades.)

Regarding the engine itself, yeah, it's very good for the price. If only there were a way to connect an autosensory board with piece recognition...

Exclusively Regards,
You already have that with MCGE all the bells and whistles to go with it and stronger still.

I am not as picky, you should try some of the old Scisys computers or an RS2250 XL, you have to use your fingers on some of them to find the right spot and they cost double with 1/2 playing strength...except R2250XL of course but even that not in its strength class.

I think people are too spoiled nowadays :wink: :P

ps... I keep the pieces in its box and use other magnetic pieces from Novag when I play it so since they are heavier I hardly notice the sensory squares being difficult. As I said I have plenty of sensory computers that are harder to press :) ...... and most of them cost soooooooooooo much more!

Regards
Nick
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

I have some SciSys boards. At least with those I can use the edge of the base to press the square. I tried that trick with the CG but to no avail. Good idea subbing Novag pieces. Next step: sub a Novag computer under the pieces. :D
Cheers,

Jeff B.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

JeffB wrote:I have some SciSys boards. At least with those I can use the edge of the base to press the square. I tried that trick with the CG but to no avail. Good idea subbing Novag pieces. Next step: sub a Novag computer under the pieces. :D
Ha! I wish but there is not one in existence that is stronger :) OMG Star Diamond what was its price when came out $599?

Regards
Nick
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Just to add folks Richard Lang said he was aware of the 'pressure' problem on the Chess Genius squares. He said that the company wirhdrew the first run models after so many complaints and the manufacturer significatly improved the' lanes' on the updated version. That included both standard and pro version. It seems that people who bought the first version are the ones who now complaining and rightly so.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote: I think people are too spoiled nowadays :wink: :P
yeah..this new generation of collectors
bunch of snowflakes if you ask me...
:P

my only serious complaint with the CG was the ridiculously short reach of the adaptor cord...as I never use batteries I basically had to sit next to the wall outlet to use it

Build The Wall Regards
Steve
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Steve B wrote: I basically had to sit next to the wall outlet to use it
Did Ace Hardware run out of extension cords? :D

Extended Regards,
Cheers,

Jeff B.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Peeter wrote:Just to add folks Richard Lang said he was aware of the 'pressure' problem on the Chess Genius squares. He said that the company wirhdrew the first run models after so many complaints and the manufacturer significatly improved the' lanes' on the updated version. That included both standard and pro version. It seems that people who bought the first version are the ones who now complaining and rightly so.
Thanks for adding this. If I could play the machine my opinion could change. After all, some of the cheapies of yore are still fun to play against. Maybe I'll just donate mine considering it has a known hardware problem. I suppose this was the reason the seller won't accept returns!
Cheers,

Jeff B.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Peeter wrote:Just to add folks Richard Lang said he was aware of the 'pressure' problem on the Chess Genius squares. He said that the company wirhdrew the first run models after so many complaints and the manufacturer significatly improved the' lanes' on the updated version. That included both standard and pro version. It seems that people who bought the first version are the ones who now complaining and rightly so.
I seem to be one of the early buyers of the CG. I also bought the CG Pro, and it's "pressure problem" was indeed significantly improved compared to my CG. Interesting to hear that there is an updated version of the CG.
Regarding the CG Exclusive, I am still in doubt if I shall buy it. Of course it looks nice, is stronger again and has lots of luxury options. But it still is the same program as CG and CG Pro. Maybe if there comes a second engine available for it, I will think again...

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...