Millennium ChessGenius Exclusive or DGT

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
jhtruong

Millennium ChessGenius Exclusive or DGT

Post by jhtruong »

I'm new at chess and I was wondering if the Millennium ChessGenius Exclusive worth the money or should I get the DGT eboard with DGT Pi. I just ordered Fritz 16 and currently using Chessmaster 9000.
X__Gandalf__X

DGT

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

Seems like a lot of money to splash out when you're new at chess.

I've never used a Chess Genius, but I do own a DGT board. The DGT board is large, which suits my needs, but others might prefer the smaller Chess Genius.

If you go down the DGT route, you might save yourself around E280 by NOT buying a DGT Pi. You can play against Fritz via your PC. You'll get voice instructions for moves, you'll see clocks on your PC, and you can download various chess engines to play against on Fritz. Why would you need a DGT Pi? If you have any questions regarding DGT feel free to ask them on this thread.
X__Gandalf__X

Re: DGT

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

X__Gandalf__X wrote:. You can play against Fritz via your PC. You'll get voice instructions for moves, you'll see clocks on your PC, and you can download various chess engines to play against on Fritz. Why would you need a DGT Pi?
To clarify, I mean you can connect a DGT board to a PC (via USB or Bluetooth depending on your DGT board version) then play moves on the DGT board against Fritz.
BlackSails911

Millennium Exclusive

Post by BlackSails911 »

I purchased a Millennium Exclusive recently and I am very satisfied with the machine. The piece recognition makes playing effortless and the program is very strong. The speed increase makes it considerably stronger than the plastic Millennium Pro. Even as a retired 2400 FIDE, I find the Millennium Exclusive quite challenging. It beats me often, especially if I am not focused and multi tasking. I can leave it out on a desk and make a few moves here and there , shutting the machine off and continuing during the week.

Many complain about the dry, tight style of Lang programs, but this makes it a tough opponent. Sacking pieces and crazy aggressive play might be more interesting, but also easier to defeat. You need fairly good technique to outplay the Millennium Exclusive. I have heard new programs might be coming out for the Millennium in the near future. I purchased on Amazon (fulfilled by Chess House) for about $550.
jhtruong

Re: Millennium Exclusive

Post by jhtruong »

BlackSails911 wrote:I purchased a Millennium Exclusive recently and I am very satisfied with the machine. The piece recognition makes playing effortless and the program is very strong. The speed increase makes it considerably stronger than the plastic Millennium Pro. Even as a retired 2400 FIDE, I find the Millennium Exclusive quite challenging. It beats me often, especially if I am not focused and multi tasking. I can leave it out on a desk and make a few moves here and there , shutting the machine off and continuing during the week.

Many complain about the dry, tight style of Lang programs, but this makes it a tough opponent. Sacking pieces and crazy aggressive play might be more interesting, but also easier to defeat. You need fairly good technique to outplay the Millennium Exclusive. I have heard new programs might be coming out for the Millennium in the near future. I purchased on Amazon (fulfilled by Chess House) for about $550.

If the Millennium is coming out with new programs should I wait or is it something I could download from the existing hardware?
BlackSails911

Re: Millennium Exclusive

Post by BlackSails911 »

jhtruong wrote:
BlackSails911 wrote:I purchased a Millennium Exclusive recently and I am very satisfied with the machine. The piece recognition makes playing effortless and the program is very strong. The speed increase makes it considerably stronger than the plastic Millennium Pro. Even as a retired 2400 FIDE, I find the Millennium Exclusive quite challenging. It beats me often, especially if I am not focused and multi tasking. I can leave it out on a desk and make a few moves here and there , shutting the machine off and continuing during the week.

If the Millennium is coming out with new programs should I wait or is it something I could download from the existing hardware?

Actually I have no idea when the new programs will be released. Near future should be replaced with just sometime in the future.
Dave C

MCGE Update

Post by Dave C »

A frequent contributor on this forum, who does testing for Millennium, announced recently that a new program will become available for the Exclusive chess unit during the first quarter of 2018. The program will be the excellent chess program King 2.6 by Johann De Konig. An earlier version (2.5) of this program is used in the very strong TASC R30.

This new program has a different style of play than the Lang Genius program currently in the Millennium Exclusive.

Regards,
Dave
jhtruong

Re: MCGE Update

Post by jhtruong »

Dave C wrote:A frequent contributor on this forum, who does testing for Millennium, announced recently that a new program will become available for the Exclusive chess unit during the first quarter of 2018. The program will be the excellent chess program King 2.6 by Johann De Konig. An earlier version (2.5) of this program is used in the very strong TASC R30.

This new program has a different style of play than the Lang Genius program currently in the Millennium Exclusive.

Regards,
Dave

I'm not familiar with the program TASC R30 how is that compare to current Millennium Exclusive?
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

jhtruong wrote:I'm not familiar with the program TASC R30 how is that compare to current Millennium Exclusive?
TASC R30 is a dedicated chess computer produced during the mid 1990's and it has a strong cpu and chess program.

Below is a link to wiki information about the TASC:

https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... e=Tasc_R30
jhtruong

Post by jhtruong »

Dave C wrote:
jhtruong wrote:I'm not familiar with the program TASC R30 how is that compare to current Millennium Exclusive?
TASC R30 is a dedicated chess computer produced during the mid 1990's and it has a strong cpu and chess program.

Below is a link to wiki information about the TASC:

https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... e=Tasc_R30

Thank you for the link, but I still don't understand how's the TASC R30 better.
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

Maybe I can shed a little light on your question. In the games section in the forum I posted two 12 game matches between the R30 against both the Exclusive Genius and the Chess Genius Pro,both of which have the chess genius program.The R30 has a CPU speed of 30 mhz, the CGPro 100 mhz and the Exclusive 300 mhz.The result between the R30 and the CGPro was 7.5-4.5 in favour of the R30.The result between the R30 and the Exclusive was 6.5-5.5 in favour of the Exclusive. There is ever reason to believe this incarnation of the R30 is going to be an improvement in playing strength on the original version. It has a dynamic playing style, in my opinion, that chess genius, although strong, can't quite match,and I for one, would be very surprised if this isn't borne out when it is released in respect to the chess genius program.Regards Steve C.
jhtruong

Post by jhtruong »

donkeylane wrote:Maybe I can shed a little light on your question. In the games section in the forum I posted two 12 game matches between the R30 against both the Exclusive Genius and the Chess Genius Pro,both of which have the chess genius program.The R30 has a CPU speed of 30 mhz, the CGPro 100 mhz and the Exclusive 300 mhz.The result between the R30 and the CGPro was 7.5-4.5 in favour of the R30.The result between the R30 and the Exclusive was 6.5-5.5 in favour of the Exclusive. There is ever reason to believe this incarnation of the R30 is going to be an improvement in playing strength on the original version. It has a dynamic playing style, in my opinion, that chess genius, although strong, can't quite match,and I for one, would be very surprised if this isn't borne out when it is released in respect to the chess genius program.Regards Steve C.

If you were me which one would you get?
donkeylane

Post by donkeylane »

I cannot, or wouldn't want to, try to speak for anyone else, not knowing their circumstances or needs,I am lucky enough to own the revelation, exclusive and R30,they are all piece recognition and of a high enough playing strength to satisfy almost anyone, I personally, owning the exclusive genius and extrapolating from my own dedicated chess computer experiences, would regard the exclusive king (R30)program as a must have. Then again, it is horses for courses, no pun intended.Steve C.
jhtruong

Post by jhtruong »

Thank you for everybody input, can't wait to get my hand on one.
Four.nine

Post by Four.nine »

Dave C wrote:A frequent contributor on this forum, who does testing for Millennium, announced recently that a new program will become available for the Exclusive chess unit during the first quarter of 2018. The program will be the excellent chess program King 2.6 by Johann De Konig. An earlier version (2.5) of this program is used in the very strong TASC R30.

Regards,
Dave
25 years ago Fidelity had an Elite Premier with two programs "in" it.
There's no reason technically, at this date and time, Millennium couldn't put out a board with not just two, but several programs in it. The menu system would have a "program" select........ and now you have the Millennium Exclusive equivalent of the DGT Pi/DGT board.