HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index HIARCS Chess Forums
World Championship winning computer chess software program & downloads for chess database, analysis and play on PC, Mac and iPhone

QuestionsQuestions   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

how much cost to create powerful chess machine ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Programming Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author
f5mtadas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: how much cost to create powerful chess machine ? Reply with quote

Hello

I am IT engineer and I am very interesting and I think I will invest big money on Chess machine developing.

How to begin to create it and how much cost to create the machine ?
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Full Name: Rob Osborne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing You will need "big money" to purchase or build a top of the line chess machine.

I keep a spreadsheet of various systems I am pondering to build...

Here's a clip from a current 6-Core and 12-Core Machine. Most prices and Item#s are from www.newegg.com. With the 6-Core System you could easily save money. For example... don't play PC Games? Then go with a sub- $200 video card. Me... I have only one "game" MS Flight Sim and more Video "horsepower" is never enough. The SSDs could be replaced with Mechanical Drives... cheaper case... cheaper memory... the 6-core motherboard listed costs about $400 than what is reasonable... Just the above is how I would do it for a number of reasons.

Thereĺs a few item's not included if this was the Do-It-Yourself Build... stuff like Thermal Paste, anti-static wrist strap & latex gloves (i use them both for a build). The Windows OS is relatively cheap since it's an OEM version... legitimate use if you build the system yourself. And I just noticed I am missing a CD/DVD drive... add about $30 for a good SATA model.

Hope this helps.

Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ricard60

Full Name: Ricardo Rodulfo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi f5mtadas,
Are you talking about just a strong pc chess machine or a dedicated strong chess machine like the phoenix chess systems?

wich one regards
Ricardo
JamesCoons

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: I was thinking the opposite Reply with quote

Build a cheap chess machine based on the Raspberry PI. The Raspberry PI is a 35 dollar Linux machine.
felice

Full Name: felice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: felice Reply with quote

Can't tell the exact cost because it depends.
vaporizer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those expensive prices above depend upon one's "computer connections"or not.My nephew is in the computer repair and pro builder business of his own,travels around the country and told me that he will build me a 10 core system of my dreams to run my chess programs and more,complete with intercoolers and all the bells and whistles for no more than $2000 dollars.Perhaps he has a ton of computer systems and uses parts from many sources,but that does not bother me in the least.

If i was to ask him to build me a 12 core system,i'm certain he could do it for no more than 3,000-3500...not 7000+as I see above.

Retail prices do not exist in my book.Just like my quadcore with 8 GB memory and a terabyte drive.My nephew built it for 350.00.Never once,had a problem and my antivirus is the free version of AVG for 6 years now.Nortons?Don't make me laugh.
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaporizer wrote:
All those expensive prices above depend upon one's "computer connections"or not.

It also depends on the year. That above post you reference is nearly five (5) years old...

No idea what prices would be today.
vaporizer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watchman...your not talking about my post are you?My post is not 5 years old,its now,in the present and I just posted it a day or two ago.So my nephews price is now,not even a week old.If you speaking of someone else,I understand.Look again at the posted date,I just posted it and spoke in present terms.
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaporizer wrote:
watchman...your not talking about my post are you?My post is not 5 years old,

Yes vaporizer, I am talking about your post, because you made the statement:

vaporizer wrote:
If i was to ask him to build me a 12 core system,i'm certain he could do it for no more than 3,000-3500...not 7000+as I see above.

The "not 7000+as I see above" comes from a 5 year old post.
vaporizer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watchman...you make no sense at all and there is no logic in your statement.What I wrote above was related to YOUR statement about the 7,000+ cost of your multcore system.If you made your statement above with 5 year old $$ value,that is also irrelevant,since the cost is still less for me than any quoted price now,or 5 years ago.If it was 5 years ago,my nephew's price would have been even cheaper.But for 3,000 or less,I can build the best or better than you mentioned above.Your prices,then 5 years ago or now,are pretty much based upon regular retail prices and/or labor.My nephew will build the best for me for no labor and parts from the thousands of systems he rebuilds every year from coast to coast.

My statement above shows simply that I can do the super multicore system with all the bells and whistles for less than half of YOUR quoted estimated price...whether it be 5 years ago or right now,in the present.
NoellEagan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...as per my knowledge with the 6-Core System you could easily save money. For example... don't play PC Games? Then go with a sub- $200 video card. Me.I have only one "game" MS Flight Sim and more Video "horsepower" is never enough. The SSDs could be replaced with Mechanical Drives,cheaper case,cheaper memory. The 6-core motherboard listed costs about $400 than what is reasonable. Just the above is how I would do it for a number of reasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Programming Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: