Fidelity EAS

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

Fidelity EAS

Post by Larry »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-FIDELIT ... 1438.l2649

The blurb is in French, but it looks like the seller is pulling the
'no adaptor, can't test it' trick.
This model has been on my wish list for some time. I'm wondering
whether or not to take a punt.
L
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

If it was on my list I'd risk it. The board looks in excellent condtion, and the knights and bishops can be taught to start in their proper squares, except for the missing one that's probably off to its favorite pub. The language is French according to the sticker, so there's an excellent opportunity to learn another language. And the "No adapter gambit" may be genuine, as I believe the bigger Fidelity boards used multiple voltage adapters with DIN connectors, which can be hard to find. Perhaps the missing bishop ran off with it. But, worse case, you can buy an upgraded board from the Mad Modder should the spirit of this board have gone on to the Great Silicon Heaven.

P.S. I've had better luck buying from the I Can't Test It Club than I have from five-star sellers, too many of whom can't be bothered to check battery compartments for leakage and corrosion. I own probably more than 100 chess computers so I have a little experience at the game.

Good luck!
Cheers,

Jeff B.