5mhz Connie Expert

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

5mhz Connie Expert

Post by Larry »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Novag-Constel ... SwVGhZfdAC
Relatively rare at this clock speed, but the seller is pulling the
" can't test it" trick. The main board looks like was left in the rain, but
you never know, it might work. At GBP72 it's worth a punt.
L
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi Larry,

Yes, it’s one of the many items I’m watching .....

Al.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Scally wrote:Hi Larry,

Yes, it’s one of the many items I’m watching .....

Al.
Actually the box looks rough but fixable. The board, apart from some
light fade marks on the home squares, is in quite good condition. Also,
remembering that the power adaptor has to be a fairly hard to come
by ac output, the seller is probably only being honest. You might get
a good buy here. A second look shows the mainboard is not that bad.
fingers crossed regards...
Larry
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

I wouldn't buy it. I asked but the seller flat out refuses to try it out or even turn on the board.
The pieces are worth something, though, but even that- connie pieces are not the best.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

I'd risk it. They were built like tanks. Considering it has the box and only very light fading, I'd say it's spent most of its years in storage. Unless someone fried it with the wrong power supply (unlikely because it takes AC input), probably the worst that could go wrong is the switches need cleaning or a reed went bad.

I stopped bidding only because I took a similar risk on an untested Super Expert that arrived not only in the box, but in the original Novag shipping carton. The machine looks brand new, never played, and works beautifully.

Some of my best eBay buys came from taking a calculated risk. Your mileage may vary.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

JeffB wrote:I'd risk it. They were built like tanks. Considering it has the box and only very light fading, I'd say it's spent most of its years in storage. Unless someone fried it with the wrong power supply (unlikely because it takes AC input), probably the worst that could go wrong is the switches need cleaning or a reed went bad.

I stopped bidding only because I took a similar risk on an untested Super Expert that arrived not only in the box, but in the original Novag shipping carton. The machine looks brand new, never played, and works beautifully.

Some of my best eBay buys came from taking a calculated risk. Your mileage may vary.
well, congratulations, where did you find it?
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

kosterix wrote:well, congratulations, where did you find it?
Thanks, I'm pretty happy about it. I found it in a very unlikely place: A men's clothing consignment shop's eBay store. They have some chess stuff, but only the one computer. The only other Novag I have with the original shipping box is the tournament sized electronic chess board, which I think is also unused.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
JMark

Re: 5mhz Connie Expert

Post by JMark »

Larry wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Novag-Constel ... SwVGhZfdAC
Relatively rare at this clock speed, but the seller is pulling the
" can't test it" trick. The main board looks like was left in the rain, but
you never know, it might work. At GBP72 it's worth a punt.
L

I have actually gotten many great great deals on "untested" "don't know if it works" "lost power adapter, can't test" "worked years ago before putting in storage" "belonged to my late father, don't know how it works" type of deals.